16+ Language Mature Content

Marble Lungs / Draft 03 / Ch. 1.1

by FruityBickel

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and mature content.

Rhys opened his eyes slowly, staring up at the ceiling and focusing all of his sleep-laden energy into listening to his dads and his brother talking downstairs.

"Are you sure you and your sister will be okay while we're gone?" Pop didn't bother to keep his voice low, the word 'sister' seeming to ring out across the entire household.

"Brother," Ethan corrected automatically, eliciting a drawn-out sigh from his Pop. There was the sound of the kitchen sink running for just a moment before the tap was turned off again.

"Rhys and I will be fine," Ethan said, in the same voice he always used to convince their dads to let him go out to a party or pick up an extra shift at the diner. "You guys go have fun in New Zealand."

"It's not just fun," his Dad reminded him, and Rhys heard the unmistakable sound of Dad's work boots stepping heavily across kitchen tile. "We're actually going to be working too, you know."

"The super gay film directors," Ethan conceded. "I know."

Pop sighed. "Just make sure your sister - "

"Brother," Ethan corrected.

"Brother," Pop's wince was evident in his voice, "stays out of trouble."

Not much noise after that, until with a rush of relief Rhys heard the front door open and close. He climbed out of bed as noiselessly as he could, making his way downstairs.

"About damn time," Ethan shot him a glance as he shuffled into the kitchen, then let out a snort. "Nice PJ's."

Rhys frowned and glanced downward; he was wearing one of Ethan's old shirts and a pair of Nike sweatpants with the legs cuffed, one sock. "Yeah."

"You could have at least said goodbye to them you know," Ethan told him as Rhys got his favorite cereal down from its place on top of the fridge. Rhys moved around him, pulling a bowl down from the cabinet and pouring himself a bowl of Lucky Charms.

"They'll be back in six months anyway," he muttered in reply to his brother. "It's not like they're gonna be gone forever."

"Still."

"Maybe if they tried a little harder on pronouns, I'd actually want to be around them," Rhys said dryly, adding milk to his marshmallow concoction and carrying his bowl to the table. He sat down and put his spoon in, swirling the cereal around as he stared at it. He sighed, feeling Ethan staring at him, from the purple bags under his eyes to the green and blue bruise blooming across the back of Rhys' left hand.

"They're trying, Rhys. Nobody's going to be perfect about it right away."

"It's been a year," Rhys said, and what was supposed to come out as a snap just came out exhausted sounding instead. He dropped his spoon, letting it clatter against the edge of his bowl as he buried his face in his hands.

"Rough night?" Ethan asked, leaning with his back against the counter and nursing his glass of water in one hand. "Notice you didn't come in until late."

"What are you, a fuggin' cop?" Rhys mumbled into his hands, swiping them up to push his hair out of his face before finally taking his first bite of his breakfast.

"Just someone concerned about his little brother," Ethan corrected, watching Rhys shovel Lucky Charms into his mouth. Rhys only chewed and swallowed in reply.

"I'm just saying, Rhys, staying out at all hours of the night, on a school night - "

"I'm up in time, aren't I?" Rhys snapped. "Besides, I'm eighteen soon. It's not like I need a curfew," he stood, carrying his unfinished bowl to the garbage can and scraping the remains of his cereal into it. "Or a babysitter, for that matter."

He poured the remaining milk into the sink and set the bowl down on the counter, stomping past Ethan and upstairs to his room to get ready for school.

Roseman High was a block cube, square in perimeter and three stories tall. Normal looking high school, all things considered, but to Rhys the place was nothing more than Hell.

It had been getting more and more unbearable since he came out around Halloween of last year. Before that, he could slip through the crowd unnoticed. Now, however, he couldn't go anywhere without being shoved, called a dyke or tranny, catcalled with vulgarity or grabbed in places he really shouldn't be.

Thankfully he had managed today to get into the building and to his locker without any incident, where he stood now in front of his open locker door and tried to fight his nausea. He was wearing his usual three layers - binder, t-shirt and hoodie - and had even used a packer today, anything to alleviate his overwhelming dysphoria. Still, he felt like he wanted to crawl out of his skin, dissociating so hard it was like his mind was eight blocks away while his prison of flesh wandered Roseman High's halls.

He began to rifle through the books in his locker, his hands shaking hard with need. If he didn't get a hit soon, withdrawals were going to start. Muttering an expletive under his breath, he zipped up his backpack and shouldered it, taking a moment to look himself over in the mirror hanging on the inside of his locker door. He looked more like shit than usual, his lightning grey eyes empty. His jet-black hair was tucked away neatly beneath a beanie, the tips of his ears still pink from the chilly October morning. He sighed, closed his locker door, and made his way to his first period classroom.

keystrings wrote a review...

I reviewed the past version some time ago, and I wanted to skip by and check this one out as well. For a first chapter, I might as well go over a few categories to watch out for later in this novel. Also, I wanted to give a decent review, so I hope this one was.

Characters:

To start, let's talk about the main characters. Rhys here has to deal with a myriad of rather horrible problems from him coming out as trans, from his own parents of not wanting to accept his transition, to the behavior of his classmates of the past few months. It's hinted that he uses drugs, in some manner, which I can only imagine the reader will learn more about later, as that could develop into an even worse addiction or situation for Rhys.

The departure of the parents seems to indicate that Ethan is the other sort-of main character here, as Rhys' older brother, which makes me curious as to how his personality will be developed in comparison to Rhys. At least Ethan seems to respect Rhys enough to address him by the correct pronouns, which his own parents couldn't bring themselves to use, (which is awful in so many ways every time I read those opening lines), although his excuse of "needing time" seems a little exaggerated if it's been a year of Rhys asking everyone to address him as a male.

Setting:

I myself like having fewer direct details (i.e.: "the walls were white/they pulled on black-and-yellow stripes") so I enjoy this way of Rhys listening on the conversation happening below him. (If Rhys' parents can't address him as their son, couldn't they at least address him by his name, or is that too difficult as well? I have angry opinions about these people that call themselves Rhys' dads.)

The image of Rhys lying in bed not wanting to really engage in much stuff outside his room for a moment at least is an interesting one, especially combined with watching him maneuver out of Ethan's way and not really wanting to talk about the "late nights" he's been having. I think this works well at drawing the reader to the details that are important, and what Rhys is doing/thinking.

However, I do agree with Blue that the time skip was a little harsh, but I do like the short description the reader gets of the school. That was sufficient in really being able to picture what type of place he was stepping into (at least for me it was.)

Pace:

I think that this chunk of text did a nice job at setting up Rhys' situation, giving hints at what else could be going on in his life, and establishing some possible storylines, even if they're just for the reader to think about. (Such as something else to do with him being trans or a repercussion of him being involved with drugs.) I like that we get some insight into his character and views on his life - tired, angry, dissociated - and that the reader is left to wait to learn more about him.

Overall, I really do think this is a good starting chapter, especially to establish/hint at the kind of relationships Rhys has with at least the immediate characters in this section, and what type of things could be happening in the future. Nicely done.

OH MY GOSH LOOK I finally get to write you a real review instead of just leaving dumb stupid questionable snarky comments all over your draft. WOOHOO. Thank goodness I actually have something constructive to say about this, yeah???

It's interesting the way you open, because we get almost no visuals in the start of the scene - just the ceiling as Rhys lies in bed, staring upward and listening to his dads and Ethan downstairs. I think a lot of people would've been so focused on their Important and Revealing Dialogue that they'd forget about any other noise, but I like the way you focus on not only the dialogue but the sounds of Rhys' family moving around the house below him: the sink running, Dad's workboots on the kitchen floor, a sigh, the front door opening and closing. It's a really cool way of doing description, and it gives us a much better sense of the setting than a scene entirely of dialogue would do.

I also noticed the way Rhys is often described as moving through the space, specifically in the kitchen. It tells us a lot about his character to see the way he moves around things and people - he's sidestepping Ethan as he sidesteps Ethan's concerns in conversation, which is a cool...correlation? parallel? I'm very tired and I'm not sure of the word I want, but I like it, anyway.

I had a slight issue here:

It's just the time skip of "getting ready for school" to suddenly "here we are at school" with no clear scene break. I feel like it would be smoother either with a scene break to mark that we're somewhere else now or to spare a line to say he went to school. I know that seems kind of dumb, but it's just a little jarring for the reader as it is right now.

Mirror descriptions are a cliche and typically used really badly, with a character examining themselves in detail in the mirror and noticing their totally ordinary appearance in a way real-life people generally don't. However, I think your use of the mirror in Rhys' locker is pretty good. It's a really short description, which helps, and Rhys notices details like his eyes looking emptier than usual and his ears pink with cold. Noticing he looks terrible is a much better use of the mirror than noticing his normal looks - how much do we really notice or think about our reflections unless we look either particularly good or particularly bad?

Finally, this is an effective opening chapter because, although it's fairly typical stuff we see Rhys doing - taking a while to get up, eating breakfast, going to school - there's already a lot of conflict/potential conflict at play and we've learned a lot of important stuff about Rhys: the fact that he's come out as trans and faces the nonacceptance and even violence of both his dads and his peers, his drug problem, and this lack of energy that seems more like depression than merely "a late night." All this information comes out organically - you never give way to an infodump. All in all, a strong opening chapter!

I was never insane except upon occasions when my heart was touched.
— Edgar Allan Poe