z

Young Writers Society



Secrets of the Wood

by ChieTheWriter


[Disclaimer: I do not poet, I don't know what this is or how it happened, but here we are]

~

Deep in a forest that nobody knows, under roots of trees that lonesome grow on the hilltop, overlooking a valley of snow, lies a dark mound all covered in stone. 

In the mournful forest that nobody knows lives a sorrowful man that nobody sees who lives in the roots of the old oak trees. His cloak is the leaves of lily-white birch, blown down by the breeze from their perch, high where only the birds can reach. 

His boots of the earth and bow of the wind, his heart in the oak and his body therein, buried below when the world was new but raised again when young oak and yew burst from the earth in the spring.

Forgotten was he to all but the trees who guarded his body for years, till they were too old and too weak and too frail to save themselves from the saw and the nail. But deeds that are done are paid for in kind, and the poor old ranger kept those in mind who had guarded his grave for years. 

The man of the wood with a cloak of birch who lives in the trees no humans can touch will fight tooth and claw against nail and saw that dare to draw near the domain of the dead. Broken are nail and hammer and axe that split and shear and splinter and snap the saplings where they stand in the ground. 

Cursed are men who swing the axe and doomed are men who wield the saw for the ranger bears his own sharpened blade which deals the judgment of the wood to all who harm her moss-covered boughs.

Till mankind relents and leaves them alone, the ranger of wood and stream and stone will guard his ancient forest home with sword of hawthorn and yew. 

By bow of wind and arrow of thorn with spells of earth around them wound will ranger break and shatter and snap the ravaging saw and ruinous axe that felled the forest around his grave. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
103 Reviews


Points: 390
Reviews: 103

Donate
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:40 pm
View Likes
waywardxwanderer wrote a review...



This is absolutely beautiful. The title is perfect, and the whole poem is enchanting. I love the rhymes that you've scattered throughout the poem- not in stanzas or with a sense of tidiness, but wild like the trees you describe. This is an incredible poem, especially from a not-poet.

"In the mournful forest that nobody knows lives a sorrowful man that nobody sees" UGH these lines. I love the way you initially weave the man into the trees by describing him as in them, yes, but by establishing their shared sense of mystery. I want to know more oh my lord. I want to know more about the man and the trees.

"His boots of the earth and bow of the wind, his heart in the oak and his body therein" this line has such a good rhythm. It's really, really beautiful. I don't even have anything to say about this I just want to read it every day for the rest of my life.

"But deeds that are done are paid for in kind, and the poor old ranger kept those in mind who had guarded his grave for years." This is genuinely tragic??? the trees DIED. AH you've created such an incredible story with so few words. You can feel the tragedy and sorrow this man feels, the gratefulness to the trees and their sacrifice.

After that line, in the next few paragraphs, the transition from calm and sorrowful to angry and vengeful is very smooth but sudden, like the death of the trees. I want to see the men face their due. I want to watch this man and help him avenge his trees!

"By bow of wind and arrow of thorn" The reflection to earlier in the poem really shows the shifted mood, where before he had boots and a heart full of tree and now he just wants vengeance. This is tragic. I'm in love with it. Bless you for writing this. I have zero bad things to say about this poem.




User avatar
70 Reviews


Points: 415
Reviews: 70

Donate
Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:57 pm
View Likes
BEASTtheHUN wrote a review...



Wow, I really like this poem a lot. It is so complex and interesting. It tells a story that is quite interesting to read. It kind of reminds me of leshy in Norse mythology or the ever-present woodsman. Anyway, this is very enjoyable to read. I am not going to comment on grammar, I think the people below me have already done that, but I love this poem, and for a person who is not a poet, this is crazy good.




User avatar
245 Reviews


Points: 22588
Reviews: 245

Donate
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:29 am
View Likes
Spearmint wrote a review...



My first impression: WOW. This poem is amazing, and even though your disclaimer says you don't poet, you're actually extremely good at it XD Okay, on to some specifics:

Deep in a forest that nobody knows, under roots of trees that lonesome grow on the hilltop, overlooking a valley of snow, lies a dark mound all covered in stone.

I love how each of the sentences have rhymes (or almost-rhymes); they make your poem really fun to read! And I know that sometimes it's hard to find words that rhyme and also make sense, but I think you've accomplished it pretty well here. :D
One thing I might suggest is to try breaking each sentence up to emphasize the rhyming. For example:
"Deep in a forest that nobody knows,
under roots of trees that lonesome grow
on the hilltop, overlooking old snow,
lies a dark mound all covered in stone."
(I also changed a couple words here to make the rhythm sound a bit better to me, but of course this is all just my opinion c: And breaking up each sentence is simply a stylistic experiment that might be fun to try-- your poem is already great as it is!)

Another thing I liked is how this poem as a whole tells a story; the way I interpreted it is that there's a man of the forest who takes revenge on those who attack it. The way words like "cursed" and "shatter" are used seem to give the poem a darker kind of vibe, but it's also sort of sweet how the ranger loyally defends the forest (at least the way I see it) ^-^

And that's about it for this review! Overall, this was an awesome poem with super neat rhyming, and I hope you keep poeting! :D






I had a hard time with the first bit and getting it to flow right. I'll try formatting it differently! I don't like super heavy rhyming, which is why I tried to focus more on rhythm.

Formatting is something I couldn't figure out with this. Originally I wrote this in paragraph form like a story, so I wasn't sure what to do with it. Thanks!



Spearmint says...


Ah yes, this piece definitely has a good rhythm! It would probably be fun to read aloud too ^-^ And you%u2019re very welcome for the review!



User avatar
42 Reviews


Points: 12
Reviews: 42

Donate
Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:10 pm
View Likes
EsmerayaRose wrote a review...



Hi, I'm just here to give you a short review...

"Deep in a forest that nobody knows, under roots of trees that lonesome grow on the hilltop"
Instead of that were put "Under the roots of trees that lonesome"


Also "In the trees no humans can touch will fight tooth and claw against nail"
You could put "against the nail"
You have some conventions here and there but that's just me nitpicking.



You do have some unclear sentences that were a little confusing to me. But other than that it was really interesting and I loved that you describe each line for example

"Forgotten was he to all but the trees who guarded his body for years, till they were too old and too weak and too frail to save themselves from the saw and the nail. But deeds that are done are paid for in kind, and the poor old ranger kept those in mind who had guarded his grave for years."


But I love how you describe the setting around your characters. I loved how you were so specific with everything.How everything just fell in place because you were very specific when it came to everything because I can see in my head what happened and how it looked.






Thanks for the review!




Perhaps the real rickroll was the friends we made along the way
— GengarIsBestBoy