z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Violence Mature Content

How Do You Plead: 6.4

by Brigadier


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

Winslow saw the sailor walking away, a sigh escaping from his chest as the detective turned back to his typing. They didn’t get nearly enough answers to help to solve the mystery but he assumed he would be getting more of the interrogation done off the record. His fingers ran across the keyboard while filling in the details that he knew until the knowledge ran out.

“Winslow, if you’re just going to be moping around the station for the next half hour while you wait to clock out, can you mope somewhere that is not directly across from my desk?”

The detective looked up to find a disgruntled Billy typing up his own case notes. He had to hold back any comments about they didn’t have many notes to type up. And a further sarcastic comment about the fact that the case they were dealing with had more than a few motives. There were many different suspects playing into this complicated affair of politics, affairs, and general terribleness of the state of Alabama.

He wasn’t really in the mood to explain his frustration to Billy so he just asked, “Where would you like me to go to mope then old buddy old pal?”

“If you’re not going to manage to do anything helpful for next,” the younger detective paused to look at his watch and then continued, “29 minutes, you might as well leave me here to do the paper work myself. Because as long as the only things on your mind are phallic, I know that you’re going to be useless to me.”

Billy was fuming as he picked up his notebook and turned around to face the other wall. Winslow knew that his partner was justified in his anger, but he had covered for the man more than once when there was an “emergency” at home. If Billy was concerned about phallic objects being on his mind, then perhaps the man should also be reflecting on his own thoughts. Winslow took a sip of battery acid, feeling the damage it caused to his internal organs as he simply stated, “If I’m so useless to you, I think I’m just going to go take the lieutenant home and use him in someway.”

All sense of modesty, decorum, and hiding out in the closet had gone out of the window for Winslow. His comments could have easily gotten more sexual if he hadn’t of remembered the glint in James’ eyes as the sailor walked towards the door. The detective slammed his mug of coffee down on the desk, picked up his coat and hat once more, and dug around in his pockets for his car keys. He marched across the squad room, punching out early with the decision that he would just make it up tomorrow even though that was a plan that rarely worked out. And before he stepped completely out the door he looked back once more to see that Billy’s chair was still facing the other way.

Under his breath Winslow quietly noted, “I’d like to see him try to solve this mystery by himself.”

As Winslow closed the station door behind him, raindrops started to fall from the sky and he pulled the collar up on his trench coat. James was standing by the corner of the building, just casually smoking a cigarette. The elegant rings of smoke that came from the sailor’s mouth were quickly erased by the storm. Those lovely drops were splashing against his forehead and Winslow wondered why the man wasn’t putting his hat on. The accompanying coat was simply hanging off the sailor’s arm as Winslow watched the mystifying scene.

He managed to muster up enough confidence to walk over to James and asked, “What are you thinking about, Sailor?”

“Well there’s a lot of things on my mind, Winslow. And you know if I’m going to be such a trouble to you, maybe we should just pretend that we didn’t meet.”

The sailor finally put his hat on, but Winslow could see him still shivering in the rain. He felt the coat hanging off of James’ arm and found it to be soaked through. Winslow slipped his own trench coat off of his shoulders, wrapping it around the sailor who began weeping upon beginning their embrace. He had originally planned on stepping away after placing the garment on his new partner’s shoulders, but held on tightly to the man as he guided them both to his car.

“You are not a problem, James. You are going to be one of the best things to ever happen to me.”

Winslow had to lift the sailor into the car. The man hadn’t responded to the detective’s statement but his tears were still falling on Winslow’s shoulder. He gently closed the door and stepped around to the driver’s side.

“You must be wondering how I know that you two think I’m a problem. If you must know, I was leaning against the station door, Winslow, and I don’t want to cause any problem between you and your partner.”

Winslow didn’t answer him.

Winslow couldn’t answer him.

So he simply started his car, driving out of the station parking lot and trying to make it home without crying himself. The detective tried to think of the happier moments in his life, but all of the words that came back to him were full of pain. It wasn’t his fault that every time he raised his voice he saw the image of his father firing a shotgun at their mother. And it certainly was not his intent to scare the very man he was trying to woo, but that seemed to be the effect of Winslow slamming down different objects.

As they got nearer to Winslow’s apartment building, he finally spoke. His voice wavered as he said, “I don’t care to have people eavesdropping on my private affairs but I’m not going to count that against you in bed.”

James pulled himself from against the door, looking directly into Winslow’s eyes with a slight look of fear. His own voice was nervous as he asked, “So just how exactly are you going to treat me in bed, sir?”

“I’ll give you exactly what a naughty boy deserves.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:29 am
BluesClues wrote a review...



he assumed he would be getting more of the interrogation done off the record.


Winslow omfg no my dude. You're going to get into so much trouble one of these days, not least since the cast at large keeps hinting at the negative attitudes around the precinct toward queer officers. They're already going to hate it if they suspect Winslow's sleeping with anyone, they're going to hate it more if they realize he's sleeping with a witness, and if him sleeping with a witness screws over the court case and lets a murderer walk free--

Wait a minute, are you setting up a tragic ending to this story?

There were many different suspects playing into this complicated affair of politics, affairs, and general terribleness of the state of Alabama.


(Is this Winslow's thought on Alabama, or is this you as a Floridian?)

It's so funny that my earlier impression of Billy was of someone cute and shy, because now he's legit just super salty about all of Winslow's carnal shenanigans.

Billy: *sighs loudly* If you MUST sleep with the witness, would you maybe, perhaps, possibly, for my sanity, consider just once not doing it *at* the precinct?

Poor Billy.

punching out early with the decision that he would just make it up tomorrow even though that was a plan that rarely worked out


Alas, this usually works the opposite way for me. "Oh, I'll punch out early today, as soon as I finish this task."

task: *takes longer than expected, I punch out late*

I feel like this breakdown of James' worked best for me so far, possibly because he didn't immediately snap back at the end when Winslow starts talking dirty to him? Or maybe because he's been standing in the rain alone for a while, smoking, so his breakdown feels less sudden than the others? So this might be another spot you'd like to consider highlighting by downplaying the earlier cracks in the veneer.




User avatar
207 Reviews


Points: 2577
Reviews: 207

Donate
Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:41 am
Rin321 wrote a review...



Hello! Rin321 here to review this chapter!

So first off, I'm reviewing this with no prior knowledge of this storyline, but this cha[ter and the character interactions are really amusing!

Few nitpicks:

"He had to hold back any comments about they didn’t have many notes to type up. And a further sarcastic comment about the fact that the case they were dealing with had more than a few motives. "

The wording is weird, it would be clearer put this way:
'He had to hold back any comments about THE FACT THAT they didn’t have many notes to type up OR OTHER further sarcastic comment about the fact that the case they were dealing with had more than a few motives. '
(I forgot the code combination before words to bold or italicize words so what I changed I typed in all caps lol)

"He wasn’t really in the mood to explain his frustration to Billy so he just asked, “Where would you like me to go to mope then old buddy old pal?” "

comma put after the 'mope then' just standard grammar of the comma before a name or direct reference to the person they're talking to.

Okay, personal comment now:
Whoa thereeeeee I'm missing something big obviously, I want to know what the heck is going on between Winslow and James ;)
I love their interactions too ooooooo XD

Great job overall, I love the descriptions and character interactions, they're sound and do a great job of showing what these characters are like. Even though I've never read part of your story before, I was able to get a clear enough sense reading this in its random part of you story!

Great job, keep writing!!
~Rin





Well, the only way to start is by starting
— AvantCoffee