z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Violence Mature Content

How Do You Plead: 4.3

by Brigadier


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

Norton was still shuffling through the papers, looking slightly confused about the situation. It was during times like this that Winslow wondered if everything was right with the boy. But every time he said such a phrase in his head the detective would quickly take the statement back. He didn’t want to sound too much like his father or any of the slew of commanders that he had served under over the years. Just a short while ago in his career people had still been asking, “Is everything right with that boy? Or do ya think there’s a gear missing in his head?”

Winslow looked down at the young detective who was still searching through the papers with some hope of finding the missing statement. His own guess was that the lieutenant must have slipped away before the police arrived. There were plenty of reasons that an innocent person might leave the scene of a crime and with the attitude on Mrs. Morton, Winslow could understand wanting to get away. But when a current Navy lieutenant happens to run away from the murder of a former Air Force pilot, the gears in his head started turning to wonder if there was more of a connection between them than high society.

“Winslow, I’ve looked through all of these papers three times now and there’s not the slightest sign of a statement from Lieutenant Morton.”

The younger detective’s statement brought the standing Winslow from his dreamy state. He carefully pulled his coat on while walking around to Norton’s side of the desk and leaning over the young man. A quick glance through the papers showed the lack of a statement and brought him to ask, “Is there any information in there about where this Lieutenant Morton resides?”

“Yes sir. He lives just outside of the air station in Pensacola - that fancy little beach place called Perdido Key.”

Norton handed the scrap of paper up to Winslow who commented, “So the mother lives in Mobile and the son lives in Perdido.”

He walked around to his desk and pulled a map out of the side drawer. In the past, Winslow had been very familiar with the layout of Pensacola. The city had been the home of an underground nightlife slightly less treacherous than the places found in Mobile. And perhaps it was his internalized judgment once again but sailors tended to provide good times.

While running his fingers along the map, Winslow asked, “Norton, if you had work today at 6 in the morning and your mother asked you to drive 60 miles for a party, would you do it?”

The younger detective smirked and answered, “Well if I wasn’t a married man, I’d say it would depend on the type of party that it was.”

They exchanged a few moments of awkward glances and snickering before Norton continued, “But if my mother was just asking me to go out to a fucking country club, I guess I would do it for her. Most sons are obedient enough for their mothers.”

“Well that’s difference between you and me, Norton. You can actually stand to be in the room with your mother for more than a few seconds at a time.”

Thoughts of his mother started to bring tears to his eyes as Winslow looked down at the map. The truth of the matter was that he hadn’t seen his mother since he came back from Germany. And the detective wasn’t entirely sure that his family was still alive. He had met Norton’s mother a few months before and the kindness of that woman, had forced him to blame the wind for the red in his face. His mother had been like his father - mainly particularly cruel and not particularly caring.

Every time that Winslow came close to returning to his home, he remembered the things his father had said. All of the terrible, terrible things.

“Yeah I know you don’t care much for your family. But my mother loves you like another son, Winslow.”

He kept his eyes on the map and hoped that the young detective hadn’t seen his brief emotional reaction. It wasn’t that he was afraid of expressing his emotions. He just didn’t want to be expressing anything in the middle of a police station and he pulled out a handkerchief. As he stayed in the position of studying the map, Norton softly said, “Winslow, I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine, Norton. It’s always fine. Let’s just go hunt down this fellow so we can get along with the case.”

Norton rose from his own chair, pulling his coat on as he stood, and taking the keys from Winslow’s desk. Winslow folded up the map and was thankful for Norton grabbing the position of driving. Being sober might not have been a requirement for six miles but it certainly was for sixty miles.

As they walked to the car once more, the duo passed Mason and Jones coming back with a young man in handcuffs. Their pace stopped while Norton asked, “How did y’all catch a perp so soon? You haven’t even been gone for two hours yet.”

Jones held the young man by the shoulder, maintaining his silent position as Mason was once again the mouthpiece for the pair.

“Well sometimes you just get lucky when a stupid hick volunteers information before you can even stop him from talking.”

Mason was smiling during his pseudo boast, giving Winslow and Norton a snarky glance as he continued, “I doubt y’all will be able to catch your murderer as quick as we caught our crook. But then again, your victim was a fag and our victim was just a couple of watches.”

Winslow grimaced as Mason said “fag” and he could see the fire that was in Norton’s eyes over Mason’s “bet”.

The silence that started between them in that moment lasted their entire journey. There was no conversation between them this time even though Winslow was entirely conscious for the trip. At every point where they would usually make a joke, the two detectives remained silent. And their silence maintained itself until they rolled up in front of the address listed on the neat, little index card that sat on the dash.

Norton lifted it out of the dash, looking at the numbers and then to the house they were parked at.

“Well this is the place. I guess we best get detecting.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:54 pm
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Hi again,

The younger detective’s statement brought the standing Winslow from his dreamy state. He carefully pulled his coat on while walking around to Norton’s side of the desk and leaning over the young man.

The "young" references are starting to get a bit repetitive.

“Yeah I know you don’t care much for your family. But my mother loves you like another son, Winslow.”

Wait how long have they been working together? I was getting very new kid vibes from Norton.

Mason was smiling during his pseudo boast

I'm confused by the "pseudo" here.

There was no conversation between them this time even though Winslow was entirely conscious for the trip.

Good job, Winslow, I'm proud of you.

Overall:

Big hatred for Jones and Mason :( Wait, isn't Jones the name of the captain? Are they related? Oh god is he a snotty captain's son only there because of nepotism? I'm getting the impression that this very quick catch involved some kind of corruption because the characters seem kind of doubtful of their explanation, but I'm not sure entirely what it's meant to imply.

I think Winslow's reaction to the parents might be kind of sudden. I dunno. Obviously if it's a trigger that makes sense, but this seems like the kind of thing that might come up a lot and I don't know how if he would have this reaction every time? Like you ask someone how they're doing, they tell you about their life, quite often that's going to involve parents. I get the impression he hasn't thought about his parents in a while, which seems kind of unlikely if he's triggered by every mention of a happy parent child relationship.
If I'm underestimating the likelihood of that, that's super super valid. That's just my impression and it could well be that my impression is what's off.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)




User avatar
415 Reviews


Points: 31520
Reviews: 415

Donate
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:36 pm
keystrings wrote a review...



Hello, hello. I think I’ve read this chapter like five times trying to come up with what to say, but I haven’t really gotten anything going previously, but now I at least want to type up a few words. (On my phone, so beware future typos.)

So there should be something said about Winslow calling Norton “boy” and being older than I also expected, as I’m in a similar boat to niteowl. Winslow does give the vibe of having a weary soul and seeing and doing far too many things in not that long of a life, but he sounds like someone that deserves some kindness. Maybe he’ll let Norton actually help him and let him in on some nice feelings from Norton’s family, but maybe not either, haha.

Winslow is showing some turmoil here and these emotions are definitely relatable in terms of having a much complicated life with his family, at least his parents, and I like getting that insight, especially in a book that has a couple of main characters. Even in a chapter that feels a little short, the emotional tale of this really helps developing Winslow’s character and likens me to Norton who wants to help him bur might not be able to give him aid. Darn stubborn men!

The homophobia is insidious and I knew I didn’t like Mason just from reading over a couple of previous chapters, but this takes the tone over a simple criminal case since Winslow’s certainly not straight and no one should have to listen to someone talking like this. I’ll be checking out the next chapter to see more about the case, but I think this chapter worked well as an in-between-scenes kind of way.




User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35774
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:41 pm
niteowl wrote a review...



Hi Jack! Niteowl here again as this Review Day draws to a close. :D

Okay, now I'm asking myself what the age difference between Winslow and the others really is? Okay, so based on him being in service about 20 years in the prologue, I guess he's in his 40's? I'm not sure why, but I was thinking of him as younger than that, maybe like early 30's. This comment would probably be more helpful if I knew what gave me that impression, but there it is. So I guess Norton and the patrolmen are like in their early-to-mid 20's, as it seems like they didn't serve in the war (or maybe they did but it wasn't stated and/or I missed it).

He had met Norton’s mother a few months before and the kindness of that woman, had forced him to blame the wind for the red in his face.


No comma needed.

Every time that Winslow came close to returning to his home, he remembered the things his father had said. All of the terrible, terrible things


Aww, poor Winslow. Now I want to give him a hug.

“I doubt y’all will be able to catch your murderer as quick as we caught our crook. But then again, your victim was a fag and our victim was just a couple of watches.”


Yay casual homophobia! [/s] Yeah, looks like Winslow's not the only one with good comebacks. Also, how widely known is the victim's sexual orientation? The only indication I got that he was gay before was just a couple jokes from Reilly's team. I don't feel like we've gotten much info on his personal life yet, so how much do these random detectives not on the case know? I guess he could've had rumors or something, but I hadn't heard anything definitive yet.

“Well this is the place. I guess we best get detecting.”



Okay, I have no idea why this made me laugh so hard. Maybe it's because we've had a couple heavy moments this chapter?

Looking forward to meeting this mysterious Mr. Morton. Keep writing! :D





The simple truth is that authors like making people squirm. If this weren't the case, all novels would be filled completely with cute bunnies having birthday parties.
— Brandon Sanderson, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians