Muse

by Caligula's Launderette

I really don't like the ending last two lines, so I'd like some feedback on how to make atleast those better.

cheers CL

Muse
Muse Circle v.2

roving touches
faint to dust
on my skin
rough kisses plaster
themselves
to my aching heart
an angel with battle-scarred wings
sighs fondly in my embrace
my inspiration-
alive
but breaking under
repeated abuse
like the Wall, she ruptures
with pride, hate and longing
but most of all fear
Goodbye, Lenin she remarks
to me
coddled in my
western cloister
rummpled and brittle
are the wings that
once sparkled with ambition
cracked are the pale lips
that once spoke the melodies
of
a charmer
lost is she now
my muse
for she’s run along
musing

Brigadier wrote a review...

Hey there.

I'm still seeing some of the repeating issues, even though they differ a bit from the last poem of yours I saw. These lines seem almost a bit too short for me and they just keep running by, with the lack of punctuation going on, again. I think this poem might have been slightly earlier than the one I reviewed before and I'll put some of the grammar issue down to that. There definitely needs to be some actual punctuation going into this poem, so that the thoughts connect and stop properly.

The mixture of super long lines with super short lines still manages to be relevant within this poem, further down when you go through this relationship.

that once spoke the melodies
of
a charmer

It's hard to transition into that point and I think the best option for you is to go with some stanzas, which would just make it easier in a lot of ways. I have a couple of reasons to standardly recommend stanzas, mainly riding on the fact that poems have a big presentation factor. You want some emotional response from how you present the poem and the organization also matters to how someone might work their way through your poem. All things to consider.

The concept of muse poems always puts me off because I've read so many that had like the rape slant to them. Just in the wording that people usually choose for the adoration of an object, it almost always has a creepy vibe to it. And that's just something that can't be avoided but I would recommend trying to spin it with more positive imagery. Right now it automatically becomes dark and there's no work being done against it, so not really satisfied.

I'll probably review more of your poetry because it's the only thing around in 2005.
Happy revmo.
- lizz

neonshorty says...

Overall it was awesome! I really enjoyed it, but towards the end the poem lost its rhythm and fell apart. Maybe you should keep the same length phrases throughout the whole poem.

Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:27 am
ohhewwo says...

Very good. You really did the enjambment well.

I wish literally anything else I ever said made it into the quote generator.
— CowLogic