z

Young Writers Society



Dreams of Technicolor and old flannel

by Caligula's Launderette


again I must say I format my poems on my computer in ways I cannot here. that's okay, but they may make it hard to read which I apologize for.

CL

-------------------------------------------

Dreams of Technicolor and old flannel

angels manned (with) firesticks and
sectioned methodmonologues
are vivid in my infidelic dreams(creams)
but you’re there with
peter pan smiles and
tinkerbell mischief
we speak in codedlullabies
and lost boys fly by our bedroom door
and although blackcrows
swashandbuckle in dark shadows and
Hook is a dashingdane
we still parade around
in Technicolor and old flannel
near the blue lagoon filled with
butterflies that is our imagination
And white linen is all we buy(have)
because blood looks better on white
we’re vain
And that’s okay

(wendy is etched into my
back like a branded tattoo
and you save me as
Mephistopheles
rips and squelches the
primroseremedies
for loneliness)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:25 pm
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey there.

I've seen a lot of your poems on my journey but I've been avoiding a review for now. It's mainly how your style bothers me, which is almost like trying for satire but then it's not executed very well. So whatever humor that was supposed to come from the clicheness of a certain just ends up driving me further away from the poem. That's the something that needs to be considered for the eventual progression, like how much do you value one part of your style versus the aspect of feedback?

I decided to review this one because it seemed a bit chiller and was going with a bit better structure. I care a lot more than most people about structure and formatting, and it makes a lot of my initial judgements about a piece. The author note says that you were having trouble formatting the poem and I can see in a future draft where creative white space might be necessary. I still haven't made it all the way through this poem, that's just the vibe I'm getting from it.

angels manned (with) firesticks and
sectioned methodmonologues
are vivid in my infidelic dreams(creams)
but you’re there with
peter pan smiles and
tinkerbell mischief

The imagery begins here with the Peter Pan ideas but that just gives me a bad feel for the poem. Like the commitment to the imagery was nice but this particular type of dream land concept, just has a lot of bad press. it might not have been that way when you wrote the poem or chose the imagery for a naive factor. But yeah it doesn't do much for me outside of trying to guess how dark the poem is going to turn further down the line.

And then there's the decision to talk about Mephistopheles, if we didn't have enough demons happening already. I don't remember that in any aspect to Peter Pan but I'm guessing you either chose it for the equal fairy tale aspect or just because it's a famous name. So for either of those outcomes, then that shines on the wording and choices in the poem, depending on how the important things were chosen. And they mostly shine in a negative light.

I think that's all I've got.
Happy revmo.




User avatar
531 Reviews


Points: 8846
Reviews: 531

Donate
Fri May 06, 2005 3:39 am



what drug...uh lost of sleep...I was babysitting my cousins kids a beach, loss of sleep and too much caffeine. I think.

thanks for the review. I rather like it too.

okay wow I'm a poet and I didn't even know it.

uh I'm going to stop now...before I dump myself fully into the vat of cheese.

cheers CL




User avatar
148 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 148

Donate
Fri May 06, 2005 3:36 am
ohhewwo wrote a review...



This is my favorite so far of your material.

It reminded me of lyrics from a The Mars Volta song. (which is good to remind me of)

Soooo ... what drug induced this trip that you just described. Don't deny it, I can tell you had to be trippin' on something.





Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
— Winston Churchill