Lies

by BracketW1

"Lies"

And so we lie to each other, constantly, in order to avoid the inevitable reality of our own truths. We tell all kinds of lies, big lies, small lies, lies of all shapes and sizes. And eventually we tell so many lies that we cannot help but wrap ourselves in these webs of deceit, cutting ourselves off from the truth of the world around us, isolating ourselves in our own disillusion. And it's near impossible to escape, because you can't explain to the other liars that you've been lying to them all along. They've become so oblivious that they've convinced themselves that all of their small lies make up one big truth, and your lies don't fit into this version of truth. So they degrade you and judge you and chastise you for trying to do exactly what they do, but failing horribly at it.

Without this safety blanket of falsities to cling to and hide behind, all you have is the cold starkness of reality. Unlike your lies, which cast shadows of disillusion and false pretence, the truth offers nowhere for you to hide and offers you no comfort when things get tough. The lies provide a way out, an escape from the pain of everyday living, but they don't provide a real life. If anything they detract from your humanity, drawing it out of you inch by inch and pulling you deeper into a fantasy world of false perfection and delirious discontentment. No, reality does not provide you with such pleasures. It makes you face what is really going on and challenges you to do something about it. The lies are what bind us to complacency. And so we lie. We lie to avoid taking that leap, the leap which could push us over, or drop us completely. Lies provide an alternative. Why act when you could just lie? Why live in reality when you could live in your own land of lies, creating yourself as anything you want to be? Lying is humanity's answer to reality and truth and all of those things which become difficult to ignore unless you have an alternative. Lying is my alternative.

Be led by your talent and not by your self-loathing ... everything beautiful in the world is within you.
— Russell Brand