The Flower

by Blueflood

There was once a lively park where all the little children came to play, and adults came to rest. In the corner of this park, hidden behind bushes where no one could see, was a little sprout. One day, two kids, David and Mary, stumbled upon the little sprout. The two youths grinned at each other and decided to take care of the sprout together. Everyday, David and Mary came to water the sprout while talking and laughing to one another. David and Mary became so close that no one would see one child without the other. Under their extensive care, the sprout bloomed into a marvelous, beautiful flower.

When they reached high school, a group of teens invited Mary to sit with them. The teens would talk and play with Mary, and Mary would blush and feel special. When David went to visit Mary, Mary would be talking to her friends, and tell him to come back later. Mary started drinking and smoking with the others, and David was so worried about Mary, he forced her to listen to him. Soon, the conversation unfolded to an argument as voices increased in volume. Such mean words shot out of both mouths, that David didn’t visit Mary again after that. Mary didn’t care.

Far away, a chipmunk shot through some bushes to find its home. Something lightly brushed its head and the chipmunk looked up. Not far above it was a shriveled black stem, whose last withered petal had fallen. With a twitch of its nose, the chipmunk shot off, continuing its quest for home.

CrystalRose wrote a review...

Hey blueflood,
welcome to yws and i'm glad your posting already, i have read a couple other reviews and have gathered that you meant this to be a flash fiction, as far as i know of there isn't a section for that.
I really enjoyed this though at times it was a bit disjointed but overall it flowed quite nicely.
I understand the meaning behind this as social status usually messes up friendships or sometimes people in general. I thought it was quite nice how you used the flower to represent their friendship which at the being was a beautiful thing and then it turned sour and died.
i think the ending could have been better instead of randomly using a chipmunk highlight what had happened to the flower you could of said that the boy goes back to the place of the flower to discover that it had withered and died.
But overall i am quite happy with this piece and its good for your first piece on yws.

Thank you for reading this review, yours sincerely crystalrose :)

Blueflood says...

Hello, Crystal Rose!
Yes, I've thinking a bit on replacing the chipmunk with the boy instead. If I have time to revise this piece, I'll definitely incorporate that.
Thank you so much for your review!

CrystalRose says...

My pleasure, I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Sat May 05, 2018 1:55 am
Quinine wrote a review...

This is a lovely story, but I think it could be told better :) at the moment however it sounds like a official record in a office file. Here are a few ways this could be told as to give life and flavor to the story.
1. Rather than giving a detached summary, do in-the-moment scenes to convey the progression, and link them with things that can't be expressed in that way.
2. Play to the reader's emotions. There is a plethora of opportunities to do this in a story like
this.
3. Use metaphor. The flower in itself is implied to be a metaphor, but it would feel more
complete with something like "the last petal of their relationship" or something of that
nature.
4. Use words more eloquently. Be more specific, rather than saying, "Such mean words" or
"Mary would blush and feel special" give a more precise and colorful portrayal of what is
happening.
5. Try including some dialogue. It would make it more interesting.
6. Side note, the ending is very nice :)
7. The theme could also be expressed more clearly as well.

Scrolling down, the phrase "flash fiction" has been tossed around. I have no knowledge of this area, so bear that in mind....

Blueflood says...

Hello, Quinine!
Thank you for your review! Yes, this piece could be stretched into a more refined, comprehensible piece. Use of more sophisticated and eloquent words would make my meaning more precise, along with other literary devices such as a metaphor, as you described. Though I was aiming for a shorter piece (flash fiction), using your suggestions would definitely enhance this flash fiction (while still retaining the short length). Again, thank you for your review!

Quinine says...

You're welcome :)

Fri May 04, 2018 3:27 am
SnowGhost says...

I really like this. Awesome job!

Blueflood says...

:)

Thu May 03, 2018 3:36 am
Kanome wrote a review...

Hello, Blueflood. I am here to provide you a review. Let’s get started, shall we?

I must say, when you labeled this as a short story, it is a short story. This seems like it’s more of flash fiction, don’t you think? Anyways, I enjoyed the aspect of two once close friends that grew apart from social status. Was there meaning to this story? If so, what I got was that social statuses tend to break friendships. Unless this is something that has happened to you? I could see this as a potential novel maybe. Where two people that were once friends come back as friends somehow, someway. This is more of suggestion though, so don’t mind me. There is not a whole lot I can say right now because this work was really short, hopefully, I’d be able to provide more writing insight for you in future works, yeah? Keep up the great work. Keep writing and enjoy the rest of your day. Oh, and welcome to the site.

- Kanome

Blueflood says...

Hailo, Kanome!
Yas, this is a berry short story, it was meant to be more of a flash fiction but I don't know if there's a genre I could've selected or the text was berry small and I couldn't see it >_>
The meaning you extracted from it was the whole gist of it, and I thank you for reviewing despite the lack of material to work with XD
Thank you for your whalecame! %u30FE(%uFF3E%u2207%uFF3E)

Brigadier wrote a review...

Hey there Blueflood and welcome to yws.
Good to see that you're already posting and reviewing so soon.

So when you said this was a short story, it certainly is a short. I'm mainly wondering if this a piece of something larger, because you start to talk about these serious things with these teens smoking, and then it just moves to the chipmunk scene. That seems a lot like an introduction to something larger...

And if it isn't, this isn't particularly good flash fiction. With flash fiction, the end has to come to a sort of proper close or at least a philosophical ending. This story switches between three tracks so quickly, that the reader doesn't get a particularly good idea of how the different parts are relating. At least I didn't.

This has a lot of issues. I kept re-reading this to see if I was missing some deeper meaning but i really don't think so. The summary I keep coming back to is like this:
- two kids become best friends over caring for a garden
- one kid falls into a bad friend group and the other tries to draw her out of it
- random chipmunk with the flower representing the death of the friendship

So if it weren't for the random chipmunk, whose only role here seems to be to highlight the dead flower, I would just say to expand the story. Either way, you need to expand the story, because in its current simple state, it's just a bit too plain and vague. If this is your entire story, it honestly just seems like the summary of a much longer story.

These are just some of my generalized thoughts so if you want specifics on which areas to improve and possibilities, just shoot me a PM.

Other than that, I think I'm done.
Have a nice day and happy writing.
~lizz

Blueflood says...

Hailo, Ladylizz!
Thank you for your review! I was trying to make it be more of a flash fiction (if there was a category I was supposed to put the story in instead of short story, mah bad, I couldn't find it). I will keep your suggestions in mind when creating another flash fiction or revising this one, thank you!

Blueflood says...

*this was an accidental comment I don't know how to delete omahgoodness someone halp meh delete dis*

Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend.
— Corey Ford