The Poems Don't Come Easy

by BlueAfrica

Sonder says...

oh my goodness. this is absolutely lovely. I love the threaded-together images of the narrative and how it connects to the title. I don't have a full reflection but I just wanted to say that I really like this. :) <3

BlueAfrica says...

Thanks so much! %u2764

Thu May 16, 2019 8:13 pm
GigiNicole17 says...

Go Blue! Literary Spotlight!!

Great poem, though LOL

BlueAfrica says...

Toboldlygo wrote a review...

Hey there! Toboldlygo here for a review!

Well, first of all, I must say, I feel for this poor character of yours. That was a lot of pain and effort to go through to still not get enough blood to test the blood type. Ouch.

From a literary standpoint, I think this is a great poem. It makes me think of a person struggling through something that should be simple, but making it almost impossible to complete. I think it's a lovely sentiment and relatable for most (almost all) readers. I think it could also be about someone performing a simple task and then being in such a state of mind so as to want to cause him/herself pain. It's a bit darker, but still something I see in it. I love how, regardless, the task fails to be completed because, despite all the pain. The futility of the endeavour makes it more tragic, somehow.

I do question why a thumbtack is being used? As someone with first aid training, I'm reading "BLOOD-TRANSMITTED PATHOGEN! BIOHAZARD!" as I read the poem. I'm not saying it's wrong or that you have to change it, but it does make it seem less believable that this is a lab/educational setting and more as if it's an individual trying to hurt him or herself in private. Since you state for a lab, a needle would be more believable for the readers, but of course it's your poem and you should keep it how you like it best. It's just a thought about how the wording makes the setting sound.

Happy Writing!

Toboldlygo

BlueAfrica says...

Thanks so much for the review! This is a real thing I did for a lab several years back, so to be honest I'm not sure what we used! I remember it as a thumbtack but mostly what I remember is that they *made* us take our *own* blood and the whole time I was just "is there not a medical professional in the building who can do this for me???" Anyway, good note from you on that, and you had some great insights in interpreting the poem. Thanks again!

Toboldlygo says...

Oh my gosh! I am going to hope you are misremembering and they didn't actually do that! Anyway, it was a great poem, so well done. :)

Remember the rain that made your corn grow.
— Haitian Proverb