Second Always Comes Last: Family Matters

by Blackwood

Second Always Comes Last:

Family Matters

_________________________

“I’d just have never taken him of all people to be suicidal.”

I stirred, nodding. I had been stirring for the past while. A while past the drink going cold. I hadn’t touched a sip. Ordered the most expensive coffee on the menu. I didn’t drink coffee. Juliet’s words did sound familiar. Familiar thoughts. Thoughts from so long ago.

“Why not?”

Juliet glared at my mug, frowning, but didn’t mention it. Instead she tilted her head to the side and looked at me sincerely.

“He loved history. Of course he did. That’s why he became a history teacher- he was obsessed in it. That’s how I met him actually.” She smiled to herself, deciding to pour out on me her life story.

“He was a student teacher and I was in high school. Yes, sounds slightly scandalous, but we didn’t get together until my final year. By then the seven year gap didn’t seem so big.”

I refrained from rolling my eyes. I had no interest in her ventures with her ‘Romeo’. I didn’t see Sir that way. I didn’t want to see Sir that way.

“It wasn’t until we moved in together that I learned about his biggest... secrets? Flaws? I don’t know how to put it. But most of it was driven by his irrational fear.”

“Fear?” I questioned, prompting her with my interest. I saw her grip tighten on her tea cup. Emotions. She had handled herself surprisingly well up until now, and for that I saluted her. She seemed reasonably open to talk about it. I don’t know what I would have done if I had gotten a wailing widow.

“Death. He was terrified of death. Not in the general way either. Many people fear death, but not like him. Not like him.” She sighed.

“Every few nights, perhaps once a week or more, he would have a breakdown. He would completely break down, curl up, become unmovable. He would be in tears. All because he was thinking so hard about death and what it meant. He confided in me a few times. Normally he would talk about different things. Sometimes he would claim to be so small and useless. Doubt his existence. Other times he would go into a frenzy, claiming he was big, the biggest thing there was in his life and he had to make a point of it. But most of the time he would fear being forgotten. He loved history, and he wanted to be a part of it. Just he couldn’t believe he ever could.

He wouldn’t- couldn’t possibly be able to kill himself. He valued life too much. He valued the one life he had but spent his time worrying about wasting it. He would get hyped up over historical figures and how they died, scolding them like most men would scold a rugby player on TV when they messed up. He would yell out to the historical figure about how much potential they still had if their life ended prematurely and if they had ended their own life.

I knew he was scared. But every other moment he acted fine. Sane. Smart. Amazing. He loved me and he loved life. Even more than that he loved history.”

She set her cup down so firmly against the saucer I was surprised it didn’t crack.

“Or so I believed.” She focused on the sinking froth at the surface of my cup. She smiled, not gently. “Why did he do it? I know you know more than you are leading on. We had a deal. Kid.”

I almost chuckled. The way she had said ‘Kid’ had sounded so pathetic coming from her lip-glossed mouth.

“Spit it out!”

The idle chatter around us dulled as the other customers turned to stare. I wiped the smirk off my face.

“Sir died for us, not for you.”

“He would have died for nobody!”

I wheezed. A failed attempt at a choking laugh. “Why else would he tell that to us before throwing himself in the path of an oncoming engine. I can even show you the faintest blood stains on my uniform shirt.” I began unrolling my sleeve.

“That’s not true! We were his life. HIS FAMILY.”

She was yelling now, the way a worn mother would scold a child. It was embarrassing.

“Seems you didn’t really know him. I don’t know what he is to you, but he’s a god to me. A god to us.”

Juliet dropped a string of profanity. It was really unexpected. Then again, you could probably always expect the anger issues to come out of the people you least it expect it from.

“Why did he die for you then? Tell me again what worth you little buggers had in exchange for his life.”

“Cause and effect. His Death, and event, that triggers events following it. That’s how history works. Haven’t you seen the news recently? It’s the biggest it’s ever been. We’ve got a quaint little country here. This stuff makes national headlines with excitement.

“An idiot can connect the dots between those deaths.” Juliet grumbled. “I’m still in disbelief that students could become so obsessed with a teacher they would imitate him. There’s something not adding up.”

“Of course not. I’m just as curious as you are.”

“Don’t act snark with me. I have one final question for you.”

“I’m listening.” I leaned forward, resting my chin on the back of my fingers.

Juliet’s next words deafened me. Her lips moved, but I remained stock frozen after her first utterance. My name. My full name. I had never even told her part of it.

She picked up on my reaction immediately, her eyes widening into a fresh craze as she smiled tightly.

“So it is you. The school boy he was so concerned about. The little school boy he took pity on because of his terrible terminal illness. The one he left a generous donation for treatment in his recently edited will.”

I couldn’t move. I couldn’t feel.

“Am I any better to assume that you are single-handedly the motive for my husbands death?”

Lumi wrote a review...

Sexy. <3

You have a nice plot development here, but I dislike that the rest of the chapter is filler and boring details about Sir's previous life. It interests me, though, that Juliet first says "I never took him for the suicidal type" and then goes into full detail about numerous mental breakdowns.

It's my belief and understanding that those with the worst depression tend to laugh hardest and most often. And then when the distraction is gone, there's the big, black dog, waiting for them to stop smiling. So when you go through Sir's life with a fine-toothed comb in version 2.0, I want you to look at him through a psychologist's lens and really flesh him out. Even the tiny interactions he has before his suicide in the first chapter. You want this project to be seamless and air-tight. And so do I.

All that said, I hate Juliet. She's boring, and if she doesn't die a satisfying death in the storyline, then I'd like to ask that you revisit her character development and really give her some standout traits to make her portion of the story more palatable.

More coming soon,
Ty

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:11 am
Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hello.

Haven't read previous parts (or if I have, I don't remember them). Just going off what I see here.

The first thing I noticed in here is your use of the word "sincerely". You haven't crafted a strong enough emotional tapestry to rely on such shorthand for displaying emotion. Had you included body language that showed openness and whatever else you're trying to convey with "sincerely", the adverb would've worked. However, you lacked that. As a result, I have no idea what she's actually displaying in terms of facial expression.

If you want to characterize individuals via their body language, instead of just relying on adverbs that have dozens of manifestations, employ lists like this. Keeping in mind that not everybody expresses emotions the same way helps differentiate each character and reveal more about them. Something important to do regardless if you're at chapter 4 or 44.

After that, you have her spill out her life story and even point out how it seems random. You seem to be trying to have her talk just for the sake of having this information revealed, without keeping in mind people speak with a motive. These two articles go into motive and dialogue more in depth. It doesn't seem to be brought about by grief, either, because of how calm she is. There's no real visible purpose to her suddenly deciding to spill everything out, which strikes me as unrealistic.

Overall, this lacked a certain amount of purpose. I felt you were pulling strings as the author instead of considering what the characters wanted, and the result is something pretty stilted. I also couldn't get a very good sense of the characters simply because there was so much body language lacking in here.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:48 pm

Well, heck. That was unexpected.

So, I actually have a note for this one. Well, three notes.

The first is a minor point. This first paragraph, right?

This paragraph was really grating to read, probably because the sentences show little variation. The sentences are about the same length and alternate between either starting with "I" or leaving off the subject completely. So, just, play around with it a bit.

And then, I feel like maybe Juliet got a little mellow dramatic there in the middle. Or, maybe it's not exactly the drama that's bugging me, but it's hard to get a read on her character, so the drama felt out of place. Admittedly, it's been so long since the last chapter that maybe the drama fit her better than the other bit, but...I feel like the part where she started yelling was a bit over the top. And are they OUT for coffee? Because if that's the case, I feel like, if she's making a scene and they're out in public, then probably some of the nearby patrons should react in some way.

Then the last thing is that you had a lot of moments in the story where you stated the obvious. There are two specific things I can give as examples:

She smiled to herself, deciding to pour out on me her life story.

and

I questioned, prompting her with my interest.

So, in the first, you don't need to tell us that she decided "to pour out on me her life story," because we can see from her ensuing dialogue that she's made this decision. In the second example, we can see her reaction to his question when her grip tightens on her coffee mug. Trust your readers! We don't need you to tell us things like this, because the character actions and dialogue let us know these things without being told.

Blackwood says...

Thanks for the review XD. To be honest I have no idea what is going on in this chapter because I wrote the first half of it a really long time ago then just continued writing yesterday without even reading it (I'm terrible)

BluesClues says...

I know those feels, bro.

the only theft here is of decency when carina decided to rob me of my pride and put me on a banana
— veeren