Chapter 1> The moon

by Aries

I knew everyone. Everyone thought they knew me. Yet my name was unknown, I was unknown... I watched over them. I watched over the start of new life, the start of new love, and dreams become reality. I watched many happy memories be made, yes... But I also had watched over the bad. Relationships broken forever, empires fall, death, heartache, too many tears shed in the comfort of night. And I was there. Forced to watch. Helpless and useless.

I was cursed. Given an immortal life, but for a cost. Given the ability to have feelings, dreams, wants... Yet not able to do anything about it. Just watch. That was my job too watch over those that lived. Those given what I could never have. I've just watched for thousands upon thousands of years.

The Greeks, Africans, Chinese, Japanese, and others throughout the years all had different gods and goddesses who embodied me. They respected me, they knew me in a way, they didn't ignore me... Yet now the world has become tiring. Everything good had become bad. Every night making me feel more and more dead.

I feel dead. I am dead but still alive. I think I’m alive at least. I am an immortal being but I am no goddess, and I’m not human. At least not anymore. I miss my the life. The one I had before this. I was alive. I had a family and love, at least I think... It's been so long I can't remember any more.

Do you know me?

I am the moon.

EternalRain wrote a review...

Hey there Aries!

So, this was an interesting start. I'm liking this concept - the moon as the main character (or one of the characters) - and it's pretty fascinating.

The writing style was nice, and I think that's what stands out a lot here. It's your own. It has your voice and it makes the whole story very unique and feels like it belongs to you and I can tell you created it. Also, the way words have been worded have added to the mood of the story and the moon's narration which I think is wonderful.

However, as a first chapter, this *does* feel a bit lacking. I definitely liked this but I feel like it could be expanded upon a lot - the chapter could be longer. Adding a break after this section would work and then expanding on it - however you're planning to - after it. Because as of right now I (as a reader) am not quite sure what to expect or where this is going. It's a nice beginning but I feel like a first chapter should have a bit more meat.

That being said, this was definitely hooking and I'm curious to see where the story does go! If you could let me know when you post more I'd be happy to read and review! :)

Have a lovely day! <3

~EternalRain

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:01 am
THESALTYGRANDMA says...

Honestly i really like it. sure there are a few misspells here and there, but its a rough draft. that's normal. Also, when will the full thing be out? I'd really like to read it.

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:01 am
THESALTYGRANDMA says...

Aries says...

Thank you. I'm still working on spelling but I hope to be coming out with more chapters soon. :)

rosette wrote a review...

Hello Aries! I thought I'd stop by and review this, seeing how interesting it looks.

Oh my word, I love your profile picture, even though its not a profile picture... XD (sorry, I had to say something)

You have taken an interesting perspective on this story - all from the moon's point of view. Very, very different. But fascinating. I don't know where you're going to take this. So far, we have something like a background on the subject. For example, the moon has a family. This is certainly a twist! I'm curious to see how you're going to fit that in, and also that of the moon's history. You say it was cursed, and now it is tired of the curse, feeling dead. Hmm. I will say this: you have great potential on your hands with this storyline, Ari. We shall see how it goes.

The Story
On the actual way, form and manner you wrote this with... I have a few things to say. There are tons of things you could say about the moon to start your story. After all, the moon did witness the Civil War, Martin Luther nailing the 95 theses to the church door, Abraham Lincoln's assassins escape, St. Bartholomew's Massacre, the Holocaust and so many more events. But you keep all these things summarized: "empires fall, death, heartache". You end your first paragraph with: "And I was there. Forced to watch. Helpless". If these things are so important and scarring to the moon, I think you should what they were. It would give the story further substance. If this is fantasy, that's fine. You can add whatever your fantasy land dreadfully experienced.

The second paragraph begins with a to-the-point statement: I was cursed. Easy enough to understand, yet at the end of this we read: I had a family and love, at least I think... It's been so long I can't remember any more. I would think... if somebody cursed somebody, they would want them to remember why they did it and how, leaving the memories of the victim's past life always fresh and vivid in their mind. Why? To make them suffer more. And long even more desperately for those olden days. But, then again, maybe I've just been reading too many fairy tales... XP

This chapter also provoked about a million questions that (hopefully) you will answer later on...? For example: If the moon had a history, a family, a life, who was the moon before it? Or was there one? And that just leads to more questions, of course. How was your earth/planet created, then? and all that science stuff.

The Grammar
Don't worry. You didn't do as bad as I would do on a first draft. But there are a couple errors here and there that I'll show you.

Relationships broken forever, empires fall, death, heartache, too many tears shed in the comfort of night.

You begin and end with a past tense but "fall", nope. That's present. It should be "fallen".

That was my job too watch over those that lived.

Most of your sentences throughout this are short and choppy, yet this lacked some punctuation and seemingly ran on. I suggest sticking a comma after "job", and making that "too" a "to". They're two completely different words.

Every night making me feel more and more dead.
I feel dead.

You have these two sentences separated by two paragraphs so its not so obvious to see the repetition. Maybe you were shooting for that, but it seemed as if you were saying the exact same thing, just rewording it. I don't see the need for that second sentence. You've already said how the moon feels, why repeat it?

I miss my the life.

Nothing major here! I just don't see the need for the "the" you got here. ;P

In a couple places you end a sentence with the three period mark, but I didn't find it necessary. At all. In any of the places. You could do with just the statement and that's all. We would still see the point, and it would keep up with Moon's other straightforward thoughts.

I also thought you ended this rather abruptly. There needs to be something that's addressing the reader more than just that question: Do you know me? Something that leads up to it, i.e. you could say how the moon has always watched us, and known us, etc. That would flow right into your closing remarks. (not like you HAVE to use what I just said - its merely a suggestion!)

Like I said before, I really think you have potential for this, and am waiting to see where it will go. Keep up your writing, Aries! I'll catch you later.

cheers!
-TheKid

Aries says...

Thanx for the review. ;) I've really been working on the story line. I love this story cause there are so many different ways I could take this story. I get what your saying about describing the different events that have happened(no this isn't a fantasy world) but I think the simpleness is more showing the state of mind the character is in.
As for the part where she says she is cursed I'm not a hundred present sure if she's going to actually be curse or it's just the way she sees her situation.
As for the grammar trust me I know lol. It's been one of the main issues I've been battling with my writing. I'll make sure and go fix that.

Thanks for the review. Hope to read more in the future! :)

Silberfee wrote a review...

Hi Aries! Your novelette idea sounds interesting and I am interested to see how it pans out. It is consistent, has paragraphs, punctuation and a good rhythm. The ending where you finally reveal the identity of the character after giving a brief history is dramatic and encourages the reader to go on reading to fulfill their curiosity.

However I felt that it lacked emotion. It would be more engaging you wrote more about how the moon felt to know everyone who has lived, to be immortal, why the moon feels the world has become tiring, why everything good has become bad, and why the moon feels dead.

Also before posting you might want to proof-read. I noticed you made an error :' At least not anymore. I miss my the life. The one I had before this. I was alive. I had a family and love, at least I think... It's been so long I can't remember any more.'

Good luck for the rest of the story!

Love is friendship that has caught fire. It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving. It is loyalty through good and bad times. It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances for human weaknesses.
— Ann Landers