z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Vive la liberté

by Annapurna


Art is strong and free and it shall always be.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:58 pm
View Likes
maevey says...



Hi!

This is so good! I take French and we have been studying the Charlie Hebdo bombing and looking at political cartoons. I think that your cartoon is on par with the professional ones that we looked at, maybe even better! You draw way better than I could ever dream of drawing!




User avatar
134 Reviews


Points: 74
Reviews: 134

Donate
Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:53 pm
DrFeelGood wrote a review...



Hi Annapurna, here to review your amazing drawing.

I am not a critical beta reviewer so unlike the previous reviewer I wont go deep into sketching details. Also, I am not that good artist myself so there's no point in advising you when I cant draw anything half as good as this.

First thought - MIND BLOWN! I dont understand french so I had no idea what your title meant when I clicked on it. After seeing the reference to Charlie Hebdo, I googled the title and boy,the title is rich in irony. Translated title reads - Long Live Freedom

This work is so deep that I feel too feeble to critique it. How could you do this? You covered a whole incidence in one sketch!! Every reference is subtle, spot on and thought provoking. Placing Hebdo in his own world of cartoons with Batman hiding his face in shame and the face hidden in black - My goodness you have done it all.

The message above your sketch is again extremely sharp and poignant. I love the way you have presented a burning issue, a very important topic in a hard-hitting way without any hate remark. While I have seen people write nasty comments on a certain religion, you keep things open for interpretation. This makes your work even more remarkable.

Cant come up with words to describe it. Really really awesome. Extraordinary stuff!




Annapurna says...


Thank you! It's amazing to see your work connect with people and I really appreciate it :) thanks again!



User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:06 am
Aley wrote a review...



Hello!

My name's Aley, and I'm here to critique your art.

I'd like to start by saying that I really love how free you feel with the darks and the lights because you're not shying away from using those as you develop the image. The overall image of this, well, image, is striking and well done. I feel like you really handled drawing attention towards the face of the person in the center very well. Keeping the characters in character is also done very well. Charlie Brown doesn't look like he's from Mikey Mouse, and Batman doesn't look like he's from either of them. That's very well done.

The critique mostly comes in with the lower part of the image. If you look at the shadowing done in Batman's chest area and face area, we can see a drastic difference between that and his legs at the bottom of the page. You're clearly capable of doing very dark shades, and I feel like you should draw more of t hat out in the lower portion of the image because right now it looks like his legs are part of the cape that's around the two of them, and that's not the case. You have some amazing details in the legs for the muscle structure [though his left leg looks a little awkward with the calf's angle compared to the vantage point] and I'd like to see that remain, but you can still go darker with it. This is supposed to be under the shadow of the body in Batman's arms, along with the shadows of the cloak, and his own torso. There's no way light is really getting into that section, so go ahead and make it darker. Let the shadows bleed out into the tones you have by the hand gradually instead of this all the same hue that it is now. I'd suggest going over it gently, just building up the darker shadows as you gradually ease into the darks and use more of a slow deliberate motion than the scribbling that's evident from the shadows now. Be patient with it and it will reward you for that.

Anyway, great job so far. Just the shadows a little more thought and I think it will be pretty perfect.

-Aley




Annapurna says...


Thank you Aley I appreciate the feedback and will definitely take into account your points next time :)



User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 20

Donate
Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:09 am
Transporter23 says...



Good message. I liked it!




Annapurna says...


thanks :)



User avatar


Points: 374
Reviews: 1

Donate
Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:01 am



Hi! This is really good! Great job! I like the little poem on the top, and I really like how you incorporated other cartoons into the drawing itself. I especially enjoyed the Batman drawing, but I don't know who the dog is in the bottom center of the picture.
Overall, amazing work! Keep it up!

- Je suis Charlie




Annapurna says...


Thank you :) The dog is Snowy from Tintin :)



User avatar
75 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 75

Donate

User avatar
78 Reviews


Points: 455
Reviews: 78

Donate
Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:16 pm
View Likes
TiffanyToy says...



Hey Annapurna!!,
I like the poem at the top. Also, did you draw that? It is really good! Great job! I love the scene portrayed. I love this. Great job!

Keep writing......and drawing!!,
~Tiff




Annapurna says...


Thanks Tiffany! :) yeah I did draw it, I'm really happy you like it :)




It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
— Voltaire