Kaz Brekker: The criminal mastermind with a heart

by AmayaStatham

He's a fascinating character from Leigh Bardugo's Netflix series Shadow and Bone, he is a ruthless criminal mastermind and leader of the Dregs gang in Ketterdam.

He is known for his cunning intelligence, sharp wit and fearless nature. He's also an expert at deception and manipulation, using these skills to get what he wants and protect those he cares about. Despite his reputation as a criminal, he has a strict moral code and a deep loyalty to his friends and allies.

In the series he is played by Freddy Carter, who does an excellent job of bringing the character to life. He is loved for his complexity and intriguing backstory, which includes a tragic childhood and a traumatic event that left him with a permanent limp. All in all, he is a compelling and unforgettable character in the Shadow and Bone universe.

He has jet-black hair styled in sharp, angular layers that frame his chiseled, angular features. His eyes are a piercing steel blue, often narrowed in intense focus or seething with hidden emotion. He has a strong jawline and prominent cheekbones, adding to his rugged and masculine appearance.

He is of average height, but his well-built and toned physique gives him a commanding presence. He is often seen wearing his signature black ensemble, which includes a long black coat, leather gloves and a fedora that he wears tilted to one side.

And the person we’ve been talking about is the one and only Kaz Brekker.

Kaz Brekker, portrayed by actor Freddy Carter in Netflix's Shadow and Bone, is a complex and intriguing character who leaves a lasting impression on viewers. As the leader of a gang called the Dregs, Kaz is a notorious criminal in the town of Ketterdam, known for his cunning and ruthless nature. A man of few words, Kaz's actions speak volumes and he exudes an aura of danger that makes him both respected and feared. In Season 1, he is hired to pull off a seemingly impossible heist, and the audience is taken on a journey as they watch him navigate the dangerous world of politics and magic.

The most fascinating aspect of Kaz's character is his backstory, which is revealed in bits and pieces over the course of the season. We learn that he grew up in poverty and had to fight for survival from a young age, which has made him resourceful and quick on his feet. Kaz's fear of physical contact is a result of floating on his dead brother's body in an icy river, and it haunts him to this day. Despite this, he is incredibly skilled at manipulating others and is willing to do whatever it takes to achieve his goals.

But Kaz's traumatic past is also a powerful lesson in the importance of seeking help and support. As much as Kaz tries to bury his pain and trauma, it still affects him deeply. The series shows that it's essential to seek help and support in order to overcome and heal from traumatic experiences. Kaz's vulnerability and fear of physical contact also serves as a reminder that everyone has vulnerabilities and that we should be kind and understanding to those who may be struggling with mental health.

There are many lessons to be learned from Kaz Brekker as a character.

Firstly, his intelligence and resourcefulness are admirable traits, and he shows that even in the most difficult of circumstances it is possible to outsmart your opponents and come out on top. Secondly, his loyalty to his crew highlights the importance of building strong relationships and looking out for those closest to us. Kaz is driven by a sense of loyalty to his crew, especially Inej and Jesper, who he considers his family. Finally, his struggles with trauma and mental health remind us that even the strongest among us can be vulnerable and in need of support.

Despite his criminal background, Kaz is a character with a strong moral code. He is fiercely loyal to his friends and will do anything to protect them. He is also shown to have a soft spot for the vulnerable and helpless, as when he takes in a girl named Inej and gives her a job in the Dregs.

What we can learn from Kaz is that strength and courage come in many forms. Kaz's physical abilities are limited by his fear of touch, but he makes up for it with his intellect and strategic thinking. He is also a reminder that everyone has a story and we should not judge others based on their past or present circumstances.

Throughout the season, we see Kaz face numerous obstacles and challenges as he works to pull off the heist. Without giving too much away, not everything goes to plan and Kaz is forced to improvise and adapt to changing circumstances. However, his ingenuity and quick thinking allow him to overcome these obstacles and ultimately achieve his goals.

In conclusion,

Kaz Brekker is a fascinating character with a rich backstory and complex motivations.

His fear of contact, loyalty to his friends and strategic thinking make him a compelling protagonist to follow. The lessons we can learn from him include the importance of strength in many forms, the power of loyalty, and the fact that everyone has a story. All in all, Kaz is a character the audience will not soon forget. Freddy Carter's performance as Kaz is excellent and his portrayal of the character's complexity and depth is a highlight of the series. Freddy brings an intensity to the character that makes him unforgettable.

I think everyone who loves the Shadow and Bone series on Netflix should take the time to appreciate Kaz Brekker for who he really is.

I think Freddy Carter has done an outstanding job and is the best choice for Kaz.

Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:32 am
cookiesandcream123 wrote a review...

Hi Rinisha, here to leave a review!!

I think you're the first person I've seen who writes articles on YWS about film characters. It's a cool idea and really inspiring! It's gotten me wanting to write one too, tho I keep getting hit by writer's block x_x

I haven't watched Shadow & Bone (don't have Netflix), but I've read the Six of Crows duology. I agree that Kaz is a cool character! You did great at summarizing his character and what the viewer learns from him. Also, like Rose said, the descriptions are very detailed and well-written.

All in all, great review! It's structured and has a clear statement, reasoning, and conclusion. If I Really had to nitpick.. hm.. the last two sentences both start with "I think." Maybe you could change one of them into "I believe" or "In my opinion",
just to mix things up and sound slightly more confident? But anyways, nice job! :D

Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:03 pm
Rose wrote a review...

Hi @Rinisha,

Another great work from you. I'm currently obsessed with the Shadow and Bone series and my God, Kaz is amazing!
THIS IS JUST WOW!
I'm glad people are finally noticing him, he's such a complicated yet fascinating character. I can't believe I can actually read a review about him. Your use of words is precise and specific in describing everything, and also creates a very vivid picture of the character for those who haven't heard of him.

*
"He is known for his cunning intelligence, sharp wit, and fearless nature. He's also an expert at deception and manipulation, using these skills to get what he wants and protect those he cares about. Despite his reputation as a criminal, he has a strict moral code and a deep loyalty to his friends and allies."
*
But of course Kaz is "the criminal mastermind" as you described him here. He is indeed very clever and often uses manipulation to achieve his goals. And the fact that he has "a strict moral code and a deep loyalty to his friends and allies" can be seen in how he cares for his crew, Inej and Jesper.

*
"He has jet-black hair styled in sharp, angular layers that frame his chiseled, angular features. His eyes are a piercing steel blue, often narrowed in intense focus or seething with hidden emotion. He has a strong jawline and prominent cheekbones, adding to his rugged and masculine appearance."
*
Splendid! Just splendid. How did you manage to find the right words ?

*
"But Kaz's traumatic past is also a powerful lesson in the importance of seeking help and support. As much as Kaz tries to bury his pain and trauma, it still affects him deeply. The series shows that it's essential to seek help and support in order to overcome and heal from traumatic experiences.
*

It's so sad! It's one of the most complicated backstories ever. (Wipes away invisible tear)
But now you can see that everyone has their own story. Kaz tried to keep his trauma to himself most of the time, but seeking support would be the best option for him.

*
"There are many lessons to be learned from Kaz Brekker as a character."
*

I am completely in agreement with you. You are right, despite his criminal background, he has experienced a lot of things that you can learn from.

Freddy Carter has really done a wonderful job. He really did.

I'm going to write a million words if I don't stop now, but overall .....
You really did a wonderful job as well. You really did. I love it! Everything was well explained and interesting to read. It's always hard to keep the reader's attention, but you just nailed it!

Keep doing what you're doing!

-Rose

https://rosewriting12.blogspot.com/

AmayaStatham says...

Hi @Rose

TYSM for your review, I'm happy someone agrees with me and looks at Kaz trough and diffrent eye.

Yo Go,
Rinisha

The Twelve Makeovers of Haircules is the stuff of legend. He defeated the Erymanthian Beard. One could say it was a hair raising adventure.
— KateHardy