I Should Have Said Something | 2 | Hold On - Chord Overstreet

by AmayaStatham

Play the song for a better effect on the story.

Skyla:

None of us had said something, but the divorce papers arrived one way or another.

I felt terrible and betrayed. I wished he’d stay, but I didn’t have the heart to ask him. Once friends, lovers but now strangers.

I remember the day we met, he was a popular guy hanging out with his friends. He was a skilled basketballer and he had great swag. Everyone wanted to go out with him, talk to him and be around him. However, he wasn't one of those guys who just messed around, because he had the power and he could.

I was new to the school, my father became the new principal over there. Everyone showed me lots of respect because of that, but also distance. They thought if something would go wrong I would run to my father immediately and get them expelled.

Everyone talked shit behind my back, I tried to make friends the first five years, but nothing happened. I had no friends and okay grades. I wasn’t a nerd, but now I just wanted someone to talk with. To study with, to ask me what I did in the afternoon, to go to concerts with me or to just be my shoulder to cry on.

I was on the brink of going into PDD, but then I thought of all the rumours that would go around. ‘They’d call it, Pervasive Developmental Disorders aka Principal Daughter’s Depression.’ I didn’t want to hurt my father that way, so I tried to fight it.

One day as I was sitting on the bleachers watching Taylor Swift perform “Me”, “I Knew You Were Trouble” and some other popular songs once again, Larkin arrived.

‘Is this seat taken?’ He asked, pointing next to me.

I was completely in shock and started blinking too many times. As he smiled, I could see his dimples. The one he inherited from his mother, they made him look so free and happy.

‘I take that as a no,’ he said and sat down next to me offering me some of the popcorn he bought.

I completely forgot about Taylor Swift and just stared at him. If I tell you it’s hard to forget Taylor Swift, then you’ll see how much power he had over me.

‘You despise Taylor Swift, why are you here?’ I muttered while still looking at him.

I just wanted to see you,' he said. 'I've noticed you always sit here alone, and I thought maybe you could use some company and I wanted to apologise for yesterday.'

I was taken aback by his words. No one had ever shown me such kindness before. It was at that moment that I realised Larkin was different. He wasn't like the other guys at school. He was kind, and for the first time in a long time, I felt seen.

From that day on, Larkin and I became inseparable. We studied together, went to concerts (even though he didn’t like TS), he was always there for me, my shoulder to cry on.

But now, as I look at the divorce papers in front of me, I can't help but wonder where it all went wrong. Now, I don’t even know how to approach him with the question of how he’s feeling or if I should just give him a hug. I swore to love him all my life, but I guess that was a mistake.

I’m not sure whether I should still call this my home, because with Larkin leaving it just doesn’t feel right. I sighed as I signed the papers.

I know I would choose him a thousand times. If he asked me, I know I would hold on.

Larkin:

When the divorce papers arrived, I knew we were done.

I thought back to the day we met. Skyla, the new girl at school, the principal's daughter. I was drawn to her from the start. She was different, not like the other girls. She was real, and I loved that about her.

Everytime I tried to approach her, my friends told me that I would get expelled by befriending her. At lunchtime, I saw her sitting in the canteen on her own, totally depressed and sad. I could just read her face that she wanted some company, but also didn’t want to destroy her fathers reputation by making a mistake.

There was this one time when I got drunk with my friends at a school party and they started putting on some Taylor Swift songs.

‘Someone remove that shit!’ I yelled completely drunk, ‘What happened to all those good songs? Play the Beatles!’

All my friends had taken my side and yelled at the DJ to put on some “good” music.

The next morning at school as Skyla was placing stuff in her locker, I noticed some Taylor Swift posters in there which gave me the sign that she was a fan.

I felt so bad for what I said the night before. I knew I completely hurt her in some way, I wanted to make it up to her. And I decided not to listen to my friends anymore, so I went to the next concert, knowing she would be there on her own.

As soon as I arrived I bought popcorn at the locket and searched for her on the bleachers. And there she was, blond hair tied in a ponytail, she was wearing a pair of jeans with obviously a Taylor shirt.

I immediately approached her, ‘Is this seat taken?’ I knew it wasn’t but I still decided to ask.

I could see the appreciation on her face as I sat down next to her and started talking to her. I was also glad, I took the guts to sit next to her.

We had some good times, some great times. But then, we lost our daughter, and everything changed. We changed. I wish I could go back to the way things were, but I know that's not possible.

As I look at the divorce papers, I realise that this is the end of our story. But no matter what, I'll always remember the girl on the bleachers, the girl who loved Taylor Swift, the girl who became my world.

I kind of wish we weren’t done. I wanted to scream please don't leave me, and tell her how much I need her. I kind of wished she’d stay, but I understood if she wanted some distant or free time to process. I actually needed that hug and that someone telling me I’ll stand by you ‘till the end of the line. I wished that person was Skyla, I sighed as I signed the papers.

I know I would choose her a thousand times. If she asked me, I know I would hold on.

Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:13 pm

Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the mutated S’more?

Top Graham Cracker - Skyla and Larkin are getting divorced, as the loss of their daughter is too great for both of them to handle. While doing so, they reminisce of the past, when they first met.

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - I didn’t know that Skyla was at the same party as Larkin and was a little confused, but that’s just me. If you think that it’s fine as is, don’t change anything.

Chocolate Bar - I love that both of them said that in the end, they would hold on if they could. It shows that they are more connected than they know and that they both still care for each other deeply.

Closing Graham Cracker - The first time they met was pure happiness, but the divorce papers brought upon a bittersweet ending. I enjoyed reading this chapter and I look forward to seeing more of their journey.

I wish you an amazing day/night!

humblebard1 wrote a review...

Hey, Amaya! Glad to see the second part to this story; was very intrigued to see where you'd go next with Larkin and Skyla's story. On with the review...

As the Ballad Begins (first impressions)

The couple have just lost their child, and the grief that ensued proved too much for them; the strain leads them to their eventual divorce. This hit hard, because the last chapter managed to give them some hope through such a difficult time, but that hope shatters within the first line of the story. We get to know about their first meeting at a Taylor Swift concert, a popular boy and the new girl, too.

Little Ale Spills (what you could improve on)
As usual, BEAUTIFUL writing, and I feel that this part adds another depth to their characters, and I love how you've described the scenes from both of them- they both want each other back, but they don't know the feeling is mutual :'( maybe check through for moments you feel could maybe benefit from added depth, even just an extra sentence or so? It's not necessary at all, because i love this work as is, but if there's any parts you believe could be improved, I'd recommend it!

Enthralling Performance (best bits and lines!)

"I was on the brink of going into PDD, but then I thought of all the rumours that would go around. ‘They’d call it, Pervasive Developmental Disorders aka Principal Daughter’s Depression.’ I didn’t want to hurt my father that way, so I tried to fight it."
A funny insight into Skyla's teenage life, but also showing her love towards her father; she wants to protect him from any hurt even if it's small.

"I know I would choose her a thousand times. If she asked me, I know I would hold on."
On its own, this line is amazing, but I love the fact it is repeated at the end of each POV- it reinforces that the two ARE MADE FOR EACH OTHER even though they parted as strangers after a lifetime of love... makes me tear up. So excited to see where their story goes next.

"I felt so bad for what I said the night before. I knew I completely hurt her in some way, I wanted to make it up to her. And I decided not to listen to my friends anymore, so I went to the next concert, knowing she would be there on her own."
Larkin's kindness is similar to how Skyla doesn't want to hurt her father's feelings- and he knows that what he feels is more than love, so he goes out of his own way to make sure she isn't lonely (if the flashback was set in 2024, he'd be an absolute superhero for buying a £250 TS ticket to see the girl he likes XD)

Bardic Inspiration (a few parting notes)
As usual, an awesome story! I love that you include images with these, it's sooo helpful to visualize characters when they're right there for you, and I'm looking forward to the next part of these two's narrative. Rooting for them to get back together...

-humblebard

AmayaStatham says...

Hey There Bard!

Thanks for leaving a review on my second chapter of I.S.H.S.S.

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions for improvement. But most of all, I am glad you loved this chapter.

A question though, do you think the song "Hold On" fits with the chapter?

Thanks for stopping by,
Amaya

humblebard1 says...

I think that Hold On fits PERFECTLY with the chapter! Especially the lyrics about crying on the bathroom floor and being picked up into your lover's arms, the comfort of a heartbeat. The songs fits Skyla and Larkin as a pair very well too, the thoughts and longing of wanting to always go back etc. Great choice :D

AmayaStatham says...

What about the chicken, Jack?
— David Letterman