the meadow

by Alison Arguanova

Sun set across the meadow of another world. Towers of bark and oceans of water lillies graced the earth with their prominent beauty. Kara smiled wearily at the orange sky, with its red streaks of firey passion, and soft pinks of affection.

She glanced quickly behind her, to see if anyone was in view. There was no one, save the boy by her side. As she turned to look around, so did he. It was as if they were one being, and if she moved, he would have to move as well, and so forth.

Taking her by the hand, the boy smiled, and gripped firmly to her. Kara smiled back, and gissed his cheek. After doing so, she leaned over to his ear and whispered, "I love you." She smiled at him and waited for a responce. None came. She was confused at first, not understanding why he would not speak to her. The boy simply stared at her and smiled. "Don't you love me back?" she asked him in a hurt voice. Her only answer was that the boy stopped smiling at her.

Soon the boy let go of her hand, and took a step back. "Wait!" she called after him as he began to leave her side. He did not stop walking away. She ran after him, leaving her shoes behind, (she had taken them off and dangled them in the lake only minues before). Stones tore at her feet, but she kept running. It was strange, because she was going as fast as her feet could take her, and the boy was simply walking away, yet she could not catch him.

"Please! Wait for me! Don't leave me!" she called out to him. She was frantic now. Only a vague shadow of him remained in front of her. He was slowly dissapearing in front of her. How slow her running seemed to be! And oh, how fast that boy could walk!

Tripping on a branch, she fell forward. The world flashed in front of her eyes as she fell, somehow so impossibly slow, she could see everything clearly. The sun behind her brought a strange redness to the sky all around her. A butterfly was flying casually around a nearby tree. The boy, she saw, was up in the tree now, laughing at her as she fell. What in the world was going on?

Then her head tilted forward, about to hit the ground. She was the wetness of the grass, and wondered why, since it had not rained the entire time she was there with the boy. Just before her head hit the ground, she wondered if it would hurt, since everthing was happening so slowly. Could gravity be faulty here? If so, would falling, simply mean floating? She hoped so, for if not, she was to recieve a nasty bruise. She very much hated to have wounds, especially on her face.

As her head hit the ground, she closed her eyes, waiting for the inevitable. Kara could still here her love laugh at her from atop the blooming tree.

Darkness ensued, and she layed there, quite quietly, waiting for the next suprising thing to happen. She could not hear the boys laughter. She could not feel the wet grass on her face. Her feet no longer hurt her. Kara opened her eyes.

She was at home, quite safe, and in her bed. She sighed, and then smacked herself in the head. It had only been a dream of course! Just a silly dream! She looked over to the other side of the bed, and sleeping soundly was Jake. She so wanted to wake him up and ask him of he loved her. But she wouldn't. He was so adorable when he slept. Then she noticed something. That silly boy, to whom she gave her heart readily everyday until the end of time...was smiling.

Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:28 am

Hi! I'm Knight Hardy here on a mission to ensure that all works on YWS has at least two reviews. You will probably never see this but....Imma do this anyway.

First Impression: So...a very simple little story with a fairly simple little plot. It's written really well for what it is and it flows very smoothly with just the right amount of description and emotions to garnish it. Definitely was a lovely story to read on first impression but there were kind of a lot of typos so you need to take a look at this with autocorrect.

Great opening paragraph. It sets the setting beautifully with some amazing imagery. Only thing is there seems to be a couple of typos so I will point those out real quick.

lilies
fiery

Interesting....

Ouch that would suck.

Also I think you meant kissed and response.

Soon the boy let go of her hand, and took a step back. "Wait!" she called after him as he began to leave her side. He did not stop walking away. She ran after him, leaving her shoes behind, (she had taken them off and dangled them in the lake only []b]minues[/b] before). Stones tore at her feet, but she kept running. It was strange, because she was going as fast as her feet could take her, and the boy was simply walking away, yet she could not catch him.

Okay sounds like the start of some nice actions. And another typo with minutes

Those are everything and receive.

Aaand a nice little twist for the ending with the whole thing being a dream. A pretty sweet little that you have there...and it looks like someone has been talking in her sleep.

Overall: Okay...so overall it was a really fun little story. I loved the whole idea behind it and its the type of short story that you can read twenty times in a day and not get bored of. Its just simple and brings a smile to your face. Great job!!

Emma wrote a review...

It's very sweet, but maybe a little confusing at the beginning. But I think you solved that nearer to the end. I did find it really sweet though, but I feel maybe you could give a little more on the setting around them. Like... make it more romantic-like or something along those lines.

There is just one mistake:

Kara could still here her love laugh at her from atop the blooming tree.

It should be: Kara could still hear her love... etc

If there's more then I'm sorry... O___o;

That smells like the inside of a tropical rainforest.
— Yoshikrab's friend