Home » Literary works » Other » Narrative

The Day the Music Died

by AliceinBluue

I can still remember that day, all those years ago, the day that music died. The day that everyone lost the rhythms and the lyrics. Lost the notes and the tunes. Everyone lost any memories of what music was, now it's only a word briefly mentioned in schools, pondered over by the children, but never fully understood. Mine was the last generation to think in song lyrics, to hum to themselves as they walked down the road.

I can still recall the barest hint of a whisper of a song sometimes. A half remembered memory of something sung to me when I was still just a child. I sit there and concentrate on that scrap with all of my might, convinced that if I just worked hard enough, I could get the music back, could get back what had meant so much to me all those years ago.

But it never seems to work, it always manages to slip through my fingers just as I think I've got it again. That never seems to deter me from trying each time from trying. I will always try for the music, though, most times it feels like I am the only one who still tries. Everyone else seems more than content to let it die off.

Then I remember all of the ones like me who still cling to the music after all these years. We meet every so often, to discuss the music and to try and remember the music all over again. Who knows, maybe we will rediscover it one of these days, hopefully I will be alive to see that day. The day that the music is revived.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:33 pm
Thisislegacy wrote a review...

Legacy here for a review.

I dearly listen to music and it makes me feel bad when I'm too busy to listen; as music has saved my life many times. Furthermore to the actual review.

"I still recall the barest hint of a whisper of a song sometimes." this line is quite wordy. I would find a different way to say what you are wanting to with less words. It mixes up the entirety of this paragraph and is quite distracting.

"But it never seems to work, it always manages to slip through my fingers just as I think I've got it again." First, after work, it would be best to have a semicolon there as right now you have a comma splice (when you have two different clauses that could stand on their own connected with a comma). Secondly, the word "just" doesn't fit well there in my opinion. I would replace it with "when" instead.

"Who knows, maybe we will rediscover it one of these days, hopefully I will be alive to see that day. The day that the music is revived." You have a comma splice again after days. I would put a period there instead of a comma and then put a comma after the day where you have a period (it's more logical that way in my head since it's more natural for me to say " Hopefully I will be alive to see that day, the day that the music is revived." )

Sorry for the long review. If you have any questions or anything I may have been wrong or missed, please let me know. Legacy out.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:49 pm
Helena13 wrote a review...

The only thing wrong, in my opinion, is how this line sounds: 'That never seems to deter me from trying each time from trying.' It's a bit awkward since you repeat 'trying'. Besides that, this is beautiful. It makes me appreciate the music we have more. I love how it's short but sweet. As he tries to get it back, it's so frustrating to see him fail. Part of me just wants to somehow give it back to him.

I say, in matters of the heart, treat yo' self.
— Donna, Parks & Rec