in another life [strawberries and cancer are commonalities]

by APoltergeist

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

Would you still be alive in another life?

***

Two strawberries nestle between bright leaves, dew congealing on their delicate skins. They are flashes of flushed crimson in between melted green leaves, perfectly ripe. A hand reaches out, picks the first one and examines it carefully. It's spotless, a deep ruby red that shines in the fading daylight. Fingers brush over the raised surface before gently dropping it into a woven basket to sit on top of dozens of like strawberries. It reaches for the second one, stem snapping crisply so the strawberry falls easily into their waiting palm. It squishes undered wrinkled folds of tanned skin, rolling over slowly to reveal the hidden half was covered with white fuzz, slimy maggots squirming in the gray-pink matter as they are disturbed. The hand drops the strawberry- the fruit thudding dully as it hits the soft soil- and moves on.

***

Hands clasped together on top of the crinkly white, plasticky material, alabaster against a rich coffee, hand shaking. The girl smiles weakly at her companion, warm cocoa brown eyes dulled by the influences of chemicals and lack of sun, creases cut sharply into the smooth caramel of her forehead. The heart monitor stutters, beeps trailing off before picking back up again. Colorful flowers lay on the nightstand, petals half-wilted and bowing towards the floor tiredly. He presses a gentle kiss to each exhausted wrinkle on her face, still holding her hand with the utmost care. He has deep purple bags under each glassy eye, smile wobbling with each waver of the heart monitor. She smiles, eyes sliding shut slowly.

The monitor flat lines with a long, sorrowful beep.

The flowers hit the floor, glass vase shattering into hundreds and millions of shards.

Or maybe that was just him.

***

No, I would not be alive in another life.

Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:34 am

Not a review, but oh my gosh, that was so beautiful and heartbreaking T_T I agree with FionaSharp, that was really, REALLY well-written! Awesome job!

FionaSharp wrote a review...

UhhhhhmmmmMMMMM okay so this gave me a little bit of *depression*, very well done. 11/10. There's so much emotion in this is really smacked. And, you know, death. Really powerful, and also really really really really REALLY (I cannot emphasize this enough) well-written. The story structure was nice, and I did NOT see the ending coming as well as I'd have hoped. Really threw it all off. And I know this probably wasnt the point of the story, but I got very emotionally attached to the strawberries, lol. All in all, it was a very good plot, nice execution, and all of it was like eating your favorite candy on an evening where you feel sick. Thanks for sticking with me lol :)

s65ns says...

beautifully written. Very articulate, and I love how you described each motion in the story. I felt that I was moving along with you, and I was even able to visualize the story.

SkyVibes wrote a review...

SkyVibes here to read and review!

This hit me hard. In this small short story, there is so much emotion lurking between the individual words and letters. I lost one of my best friends which was most likely cancer in 2021. I love how you beautifully put this together and first began with the simple beginning of a strawberry! Where did you get the inspiration that gave you the idea to find the similarity of a strawberry and cancer? I think it's a very unique and beautifully simple way to describe cancer to someone.

I think this might be the shortest review I've ever written but my excuse is im an unfortunate college student.

Keep on writing and shooting for the sky!
-SkyVibes

p.s. also here is a story i wrote about cancer awhile back. it's about the friend i mentioned in this review. if you felt inclined to read it : )

The Year I Lost One of my Best Friends

APoltergeist says...

I first thought of it based on the "would we still be siblings/lovers/enemies/etc in another universe?". It hit a little harder when I realized I've seen very little of "would you still be alive" so I tried to write it out. At first it was way longer and didn't make sense, it was more fit for an animation or a video so I shortened it down and chose two things most people don't associate with each other.
Thank you for your review and I will certainly read your piece. :)

HONK
— The Golden Goose