z

Young Writers Society


12+

heart beats chapter 1 so far...

by gerardwaylover1223


I sighed as Camrie told me... "Gintri we cant go my dad is sick again im sorry..." Camrie pretty much said to herself.

thats my name or one of my middle names. My full name is Cora Gintri Zaphora Lightwood.

'god I hate that!'

"Cameron, I told you not to call me that." I said teasingly

"Fine then Cora." she said seriously.

well if your wondering about me, I'm 15 yrs old, Im roughly around 100-124lbs lbs, and I am around 5'6" in height. I am skinny and I live with my mom. My dad died when I was six, but anyways on to life.

We were looking forward to go to Alaska for a mission church stop, then, we were going to go to Ireland. There was a legend that we heard about my ancestors, (or she heard about it) but I didnt want to go for that reason, I wanted to go beacause I wanted to know about the castles and ... yeah you get the point.....

I just dont know why she always says that I could die... iI mean its not exactly such a big deal.

Yet, I couldnt keep myself from asking, "So why is this such a big deal anyways? It's not like a meet and greet with my dead ancestors!"i yelled impaitiantly.

"Well, because you need to learn... about your history and why its so importtant!!!" she screamed at me.

"Why? Why is it so important!?!?" i said annoyed.

"I... I cant tell you." she whispered hoarsely " Just meet me at the park tommorrow. If my dad feels better... then, can we go.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate

User avatar
413 Reviews


Points: 11009
Reviews: 413

Donate
Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:25 pm
Cailey wrote a review...



Hey there, Cailey here for a review.
First of all. You said this is just a draft. However, even for a draft this is ridiculously uneditted. Let me give you a bit of advice: if you're going to post something on YWS, at least make sure you capitalize the letters that should be capital. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people don't capitalize I. You do that several times, and it's so annoying and so hard to read. Please, try and read through this at least once or twice before posting, so that when we review we can actually concentrate on the piece and not be distracted by the minor grammatical issues.

Okay, as for the actual story, I think you have a great idea started here. You have some kind of mystery happening, and you have conflicting character with some kind of relationship to each other. Then you have some extra information like the sick dad and going to Ireland. However, I don't really know what you're saying with this. I don't understand what's going on. It's like you switch from one topic to another and go from conversation to flashback without letting the reader know what you're doing.


My advice would be maybe even to start over with this piece. Don't feel stuck to what you just wrote, but instead go and try to figure out a way to better articulate your ideas. You know what you want to say, you got that figured out here. Now, you just need to find out how to best say it. Maybe split each thing into sections. Write about cameron and cora. Make it longer, give us more detail about their conversation and their relationship. Then, go on and tell us about the trip and the relationship he/she has to Ireland.

Don't be afraid to make this longer. Sometimes more is better. And, before you post, edit, edit, edit! :D
Hope this helped. Let me know if you need anything, and if you do decide to rewrite you can let me know and I'd be glad to review it.




User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 3381
Reviews: 17

Donate
Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:46 am
Mochi wrote a review...



Even drafts need proper capitalization, grammar, etc., You need to learn the rules before you can break them.

That being said, I'll focus on the main portions here.

This is an incredibly short two chapters. I don't see how this can be two chapters at all, as it's just barely enough information for one.

Don't have your narrator introduce herself like that. No one cares about her yet. Weight, height, age... These are all irrelevant. Physical appearance is typically irrelevant in general. Focus on personality, actions. Those are what make us care for a character.

Details. What distinguishes a script from a written story is the detail, the narration of what's going on, how things are being said, etc., Detail is necessary.

Good luck with the rest.






O.k. first I would like to say thank you and sorry for the incredibly short chapters. I should have seen the errors and little mistakes I have made. I would also like to say that in the future i will DEFINATELY look over my work more and not be in such a hurry. Yet again thank you!



User avatar
303 Reviews


Points: 11152
Reviews: 303

Donate
Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:39 am
StoneHeart wrote a review...



Okay, this really needs work. I'm really seeing the 'draft' part coming in.

You make no use of your periods, practically nothing is capitalized. . . and that, I'm going to say, is a HUGE problem.

I'm going to try to show the main problems for you . . . here goes.

First paragraph - rewritten.
I sighed as Camrie spoke.
".Gentri, I'm sorry, we can't go. My dad's sick." Her voice was almost a whisper, as though she were whispering to herself.

Second & Third Paragraphs - rewritten.
That was one of my middle names.
My whole name was Cora Gentri Zaphora Lightwood. God I hate it!

Fourth Paragraph - Rewritten
". Cameron, I asked you not to call me that." I responded teasingly.

Fifth Paragraph - (yeah) Rewritten.
". Fine then Cora." She answered seriously.


Okay, I'm hoping you get the gist of were I'm going here . . . I'm not going to rewrite all of it for you, but I hope you understand the main problems from this.

I'd advise you to write the real version and then post it.
It makes it easier to compliment, and it makes it easier to review, for both of us.

Welcome to YWS.
Good luck with your writing!




User avatar
303 Reviews


Points: 11152
Reviews: 303

Donate

User avatar


Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:19 pm



like I said its a draft! sorry I dont want to be mean




User avatar
92 Reviews


Points: 10056
Reviews: 92

Donate
Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:40 am
Wherethewindgoes wrote a review...



Salutations. Welcome to YWS!

i sighed as camrie told me... "Gintri we cant go my dad is sick again im sorry..." camrie pretty much said to herself.


Firstly, "I" should be capitalized, and so should "Camrie". Also, that should be "can't" and "I'm". The line of dialogue needs to be broken up. Perhaps "Gintri, we can't go. My dad is sick again. I'm sorry." Also, here you put two dialogue tags ("Camrie told me" and "said to herself"). Delete one of them, I think, to make it sound better. Also, why was she saying that to herself? I thought she was talking to the main character?

thats my name or one of my middle names. my full name is Cora Gintri Zaphora Lightwood.


"That's", I think you mean, capitalized and with an apostrophe. Also, there should be a comma after "That's my name". Also, "my" should be capitalized.

'god i hate that!'


I'm not really sure about this line. Is this the character's thoughts? In that case, I don't think it should be in quotation marks. Perhaps italicized.
Also, "god" and "i" should be capitalized, and there should be a comma after "God".

"cameron, i told you not to call me that." i said teasingly


"Cameron" and "i" (both times) should be capitalized. Also, the period after "that" should be a comma. Also, there should be a period after "teasingly".

"fine then cora." she said seriously.


"Fine" and "cora" should be capitalized. Also, there should be a comma after "then", and the period after "Cora" should be a comma.

well if your wondering about me im 15 yrs old im roughly around 100-124lbs lbs and i am around 5'6" in height.


"Well" should be capitalized. Also, that should be "you're wondering". Also, I think you accidentally put "lbs" twice. Also, there should be commas after "Well", "me", "old", and "100=124 lbs" (that last one is optional). Also, "I" should be capitalized each time.

i am skinny and i live with my mom my dad died when i was six. but anyways on to life.


"I" should be capitalized each time, and "but" should be capitalized. Also, there should be a period after "mom" (and "my" should be capitalized) and a comma after "anyways".

we were looking forward to go to alaska for a mission church stop, then, we were going to go to ireland.


"We" should be capitalized. Also, that should be "looking forward to going to alaska". Also, "alaska" and "ireland" should be capitalized. Also, the comma after "then" isn't necessary. Also, this sentence is a comma splice. Change the comma after "stop" to a period or semi-colon, or add "and" after it.

there was a legend that we heard about my ancestors or she heard about it but i didnt want to go for that reason i wanted to go beacause i wanted to know about the castles and ... yeah you get the point.....


"There" should be capitalized, and so should each "I". Also, that should be "a legend that we had heard about. Also, "or she had heard about it" should have commas or parentheses on either side. Also, "didnt" needs an apostrophe. Also, after "i didn't want to go for that reason" there should be a comma or period or semi-colon after "reason". Also, I think that should be "because". Also, I don't think the phrase "and...yeah you get the point..." is necessary here.

but i dont know why she always says tht i could die... i mean its not exactly such a big deal...


Firstly, I don't really understand this sentence. Cameron saying Cora could die is a bit...sudden. Perhaps lead into that more.
"But" and each "i" should be capitalized. Also, "dont" needs an apostrophe. Also, I think "tht
should be "that". Also, there should be a comma after "mean". Also, "its" should be "it's".

but i couldnt keep myself from asking. "so why is this such a big deal anyways its not like a meet and greet with my dead ancestors!"i yelled impaitiantly


"But" and "so" should be capitalized, as should each "i". Also, "couldnt" needs an apostrophe. Also, there should be a question mark after "anyways" (making "its" capitalized). Also, "its" should be "it's". Also, I think that should be "impatiently".

" because you need to learn.. about your history and why its so importtant!!!" she she screamed at me.


I don't really understand why she would be screaming so suddenly. Perhaps that should be explained more.
"Because" should be capitalized, and there shouldn't be a space between the quotation marks and "because". Also, I don't think the two periods are necessary after "learn". Also, "its" should have an apostrophe and "importtant" should be "important". Also, three exclamation marks isn't really necessary. One works fine.

"why ? why is it so important!?!?" i said annoyed.


"Why" should be capitalized both times, as should "i". Also, there should be a space between "why" and the question mark. Also, you don't need all that punctuation; make that just a question mark, I think. Also, there should be a comma after "said".

"i... i cant tell you. she whispered hoarsely " just meet me at the park tommorrow. if my dad feels better... then, can we go.


Quotation marks should be added after "you" and "go". Also, the period after "you" should be a comma. Also, "cant" should be "can't". Also, there should be a comma after "hoarsely". Also, there should be a space between "just" and the quotes. Also, "tomorrow" only has one "m". Also, there should be a space between the ellipsis and the next word. Also, I think that should be "we can go". Also, all the "i"s should be capitalized, as should "just" and "if".

There are a few main problems with this. Firstly, make sure to capitalize the first word of each sentence, as well as "I". Also, a dialogue tag such as "she said" should be separated from the dialogue by a comma. For instance:

"Hello," he said.


instead of

"Hello." he said.


which isn't correct.

Well, those are the only main problems I noticed. Good luck with the rest of the story!





Imagine if everybody had a little Wii sports Mii to say "Great Shot!" everytime they did something right.
— TheMythMaster