z

Young Writers Society



Late April Dreaming - Part One

by Blink


asdf


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
272 Reviews


Points: 10554
Reviews: 272

Donate
Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:04 pm
beckiw wrote a review...



BLINKEEEEHH!!

Hi there :D Thought your piece here looked a little lonely so I came along to keep it company.

I don't think I've read much if your writing before but I really quite enjoyed it. You seem to be capable of doing that thing where you put nice imagery in your description that I don't get tired of or frustrated with. So that's good. Plus I can't do that to save my life in my own writing so it impresses me.

One thing I am very glad for is that you didn't just make this about the war in Syria. I read your author's note and I was like 'Oh no...this is going to be political and a bit boring and just shove a message about Syria in my face.' It's too often that writers take a topical subject and just end up shoving it down your throat. But happily, you did not do this. You managed to make this very human, to still speak about the conflict in general but then narrow it down to these two people. I liked that very much. There was a lot of emotion in it.

Dems has picked up on all the nitpicks (I say that but I probably didn't notice most of what she put anyway) I think maybe the only criticism is that this story kind of relies on my knowledge of Syria to carry it a little. I think that the story would still work well even if you had no knowledge of Syria. You could grasp that there are protests and an uprising and these two people are in it, however, I think because I've read up on Syria, it makes this story much more powerful than it would be if I didn't have that knowledge. It's a fairly small point I suppose since Dems seemed to grasp it fine. Perhaps it is a story that can work on more than one level. A basic level of someone not knowing about the conflict and a more hard hitting level for someone that does.

I don't know, it kind of just made it more tense for me because not only do you have this (I assume some sort of foreign aid worker/reporter) guy sneaking in to see a woman who has a husband but also that they're doing all this in the middle of a pretty terrifying conflict.

I hope you'll post the second part some time soon! I'd love to see how this progresses, even if I think this first part works somewhat as a standalone piece.

I'll stop rambling because it's not actually helpful! lol

Hope to see you around sooooooon! Don't let uni swallow you up!

Bex x




User avatar
878 Reviews


Points: 35199
Reviews: 878

Donate
Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:44 pm
View Likes
Demeter wrote a review...



Hey, Blinky! It’s been a while, hasn’t it. :)

So, I'll try to review this even though I know nothing about the Syrian civil war! I have some nitpicks (really nitpicky, might I add), and then a few general comments.


There was one garden in Qamishli with a low concrete wall filled with red flowers and tall shrubs; and on this day there was music riding the wind from the open window, and the birds had suspended their habits to listen.


This is really a very minor point, but semi-colons shouldn’t be used like commas. I’ve been taught that you may only use a semi-colon when you could use a period as well – so both sentences on each side of the semi-colon should be individual, so that they could also be made two separate sentences only by replacing the semi-colon with a period. Semi-colon means that the writer has found the two sentences so closely related that s/he thought they’d be better linked together like that. If you don’t want to make the quoted bit two separate ones, I’d suggest you use a comma instead.


The door downstairs that led out onto the street was locked, but it trembled; the morning protests were breaking with the light, light which was now moving through the far window.


Here, I think a colon would be better, since what comes after it explains the bit before it.

Sorry. xD I will get past punctuation in this review, I promise.


Glancing down she saw the light move to the foot of her chair, across the purple rug and the dusty wood and she looked up, at the window, where the clouds parting in the sky were lamenting for the days in which they blocked the sun.


This sentence has too many subordinate clauses to be perfectly comprehensible, I’m afraid… and you can see it’s quite a long sentence anyway, so it might be better to divide it into parts.


"Did you like it? Michael Hedges?"


Not quite sure who says this?


There weren’t many hummingbirds in Qamishli and if the animals were silent then so was she.


This is really beautiful. :)

The tea, he was sipping; she it could see it falling down his neck.


Proofread? ;)


Swinging her fist she rose and slapped him across his left cheek.


I’m not sure why you say “fist” but “slapped”. Slapping happens with the palm of the hand, while fist punches. (It sounds like I have experience, but I really don’t.)


she whined, whined so loudly.


“Whining” makes me think of saying words in a whiny tone like “Aaaaare we theeere yeeet?”, but I think this is meant to express just sounds, so I’m not sure is “whine” is the best word choice.


Maybe I'm suffering from a memory loss, but I didn't remember that your style was so pleasant to read! I don't mean that your earlier stories were terrible or something (I'm afraid I can't really remember much of them...) but I think your writing has really improved/somehow "ripened"? I don't want to say "matured", because it would sound like it was immature before, which it certainly wasn't. But something has changed, I think. In a good way!

It was easy for me to imagine the setting and the atmosphere of the place, and your descriptions were somehow soft and really pretty. It's like you've grown or something. :D (I hope you don't mind me saying that!)

I liked the italicised "yells" in between the paragraphs; they did their own good things for the atmosphere. (<-- correct usage of semi-colon ;) )

I hope you tell me when you post the next part! I'm interested to see more. I'm not sure if I'm hooked plot-wise (yet at least), but I'd really like to see more.

Hope this helped!




Blink says...


Thank you Dems! :D That was really helpful - I've abused semicolons for far too long and I have a feeling that you might have contributed a great deal towards my university essays too... I shall get round to writing the next/final part at some point which is hopefully when the plot will make sense. I really appreciate your thoughts on my style! I was being a bit experimental but I'm glad that you liked it. It's the first time I've written anything substantial for a long time! Thanks again. :)




Attention is the beginning of devotion.
— Mary Oliver, Upstream