12+

My Wonderland-Part 1

by Pretzelstick

Puff! The cloud shut it's lips on Celina.She was trapped and felt that to her very bone and she's couldn't shake off the sensation that she was nowhere. Knowing this,she decided to make the best of her situation right then and right there. Bravery was needed for her to survive. She slowly and cautiously opened her eyelids and took a mental picture of the surroundings. She stumbled upon something that looked like a slide; when she squinted to take a closer look, she saw it.This "slide"was a vibrant,bright rainbow with the colors red,orange,yellow,green,blue,indigo, and violet wrapped up like in a perfect ribbon. Her eyeballs were bulging out of her sockets as the childhood enticement returned.She was going to try that slide if was the last thing she would do. While she was analyzing the best way to climb it, a sweet and honey voice beside her startled her by whispering, "I can help you." Celina whirled around,her ponytail hitting her neck. Who was talking to her?Why couldn't she see anything. She peered intently and then seeing nothing normal gave up trying. She suddenly felt pulled by some other force from her backside and pulled up into the summit of the rainbow slide. Shouting with glee, Celina put her legs up and slid down!The experience was so lovely that this fun-loving person had to try it again. So for the next full hour Celina slid on the rainbow, heightening her happiness, and the slide never lost it's glory.

When she sat again for the last time on the top of the slide and was about to slide down, when the mysterious outer force grabbed her from behind again, bringing her to an even more glorious sight. It was a forest of the most green and strong peach trees Celina had ever seen. And the fruit, oh the fruit had a heavenly taste and addition to it. Celina's taste buds awakened like never before and she just couldn't stop sucking this fruit. The wind was swaying in a gentle melody, soothing her like nothing before in her life. She wished she could capture that music and listen to it all the time,forever.

Without warning the mysterious outer force came and transported her to the wonderland of this magical world.This wonderland had a lot of colored cubes and so when Celina started skipping down the lane she suddenly, without warning got sucked into one of them. There was the most gigantic library or bookstore she had ever seen in her life. There were books everywhere, and of everry kind,color,shape, and size. She pulled out a random book and got so much inside the story that she was very disappointing when the outer force pulled her out and then into another cube.In this cube there were rooms and rooms or computers,notebooks,pencils and pens. All she had to do is sit down and start typing her story.This was the story she typed.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:23 am
Amnesia wrote a review...

Hey ForgottenMemories here to review again.
Im not going to sugaroat this because you honestly need the critics.

First off, This right here has so many grammatical errors and I hope that you can see them because I really dont want to list everything wrong in this sentence.

Puff! The cloud shut it's lips on Celina.She was trapped and felt that to her very bone and she's couldn't shake off the sensation that she was nowhere.

Seondly, This paragraph is an eyesore. It's hard for the reader to read, and it makes me wanna stop what I'm doing and bash my head into my bedroom wall. Seperate your paragraphs. They are too big and to the reader giant paragraphs are like a wall.

If people cant get through the first paragraph they won't know if they like your story.

Thirdly, proofread until you at least have perfect grammar.

Fourthly, This here...What is this?

That right there...That makes me wanna bash my head into the wall of my bedroom until I loose the memory of even reading this paragraph. Honestly there are so many things wrong with it that I'm going to end this review right here and give up. You can't speed through a story in this time frame! You put this as a part to a story but in itself there again is NO conflict, NO plot line, and the ending sucks!

Sorry for the harsh review but it's better to be honest than to sugar coat everything.

~ForgottenMemories

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:36 pm
CraigFrank wrote a review...

I will do grammar stuff first.

The cloud shut it's lips on Celina.She

This should be 'The cloud shut its lips on Celina. She
Additionally, like one of the reviews below, I also don't think lips is the right word. It makes the cloud sound almost seductive.

She was trapped and felt that to her very bone

The feeling of being trapped penetrated her to the bone.
'penetrated' is optional. The rest makes the sentence flow smoother.

she's couldn't shake off

she couldn't shake off

Also, how can you feel like you are nowhere. Please explain this further.

Knowing this,she decided

Knowing this, she decided.
You do this a lot. Always take a space after any punctuation mark.

Bravery was needed for her to survive.

This sounds extremely clinical. I don't get any sense of the character's personality from this. Are they good at being brave? Does being brave scare them?

While she was analyzing the best way to climb it

'analyzing' doesn't quite fit here. Celina doesn't seem like a brain-box physicist so far, so she seems more likely to just use the phrase 'figuring out'.

this fun-loving person

This is a classic example of telling rather than showing. How do we know they are fun-loving? I think anyone who was sliding down a rainbow would be finding great joy in life at the time.

The whole first paragraph is far too long. You could split it any points of:
-- 'This "slide"'
-- the direct speech
-- any mention of the word 'suddenly'

When she sat again for the last time

The two 'When's in this sentence make it a run-on. It is difficult to explain so PM me if you would like help with this but, when a clause within a sentence could exist on its own and there is no semi-colon, a new sentence should always be taken.

heavenly taste and addition to it

heavenly taste in addition to it

~~~

As far as plot goes, this story is a bit dry. The only things that happen are good, which means that the character (a) doesn't learn anything and (b) doesn't go on any sort of emotional journey for the reader to become invested in. Honestly, the only emotion I felt while reading this was jealousy.

Also, I know nothing about this character. I have absolutely no idea why she was there. Maybe she was being rewarded for something. Maybe she died and this is heaven.

There is a great deal of confusion too. What on Earth(?) are the cubes? What is the mysterious force? Is the rainbow slide a real slide painted with different colours? I'm not saying you have to state this straight out, but drop in some hints so the reader can figure it out.

I think that's me. Your setting was pretty good, and I think you may have got caught up in that.

Hope this helps
Craig

priceofwords wrote a review...

Hi,

Okay, so I love the idea of this story. Not many people write about a fantasyland and therefore I found this piece to be very original and pretty 'funky' if that word is best to describe it! ;)

However, I think that there are quite a few errors that you could do with addressing. For example, your spelling needs work. At the top, you misspell she and write 'she's'. In the second paragraph you describe the voice in the girl's head to be 'sweet and honey.' It should really be 'honeyed' or 'with a voice that was as sweet as honey' or 'a voice that sounded like honey.' You also needed to put a question mark in the sentence, 'why couldn't she see anything.'

Finally in the last paragraph you said, 'all she had to do is sit down.' Since you have spent the entirety of the story writing in past tense it should really be 'was.' These are only little things but really your spelling, punctuation and grammar need to be top notch if you want to be taken seriously. My advice to you would be to check your work after you finish typing - we're all prone to typos. :)

You're description is good but it goes a little too fast for me. I know that dreams do tend to be quite fast - paced but putting in a little more detail would help it to flow better. I feel as though I'm only getting half a picture here which is a shame because I really do love the story.
I am also a little confused about this mysterious outer force you keep on mentioning. Who is he/she/it? Are they related to the character in any way? I'm assuming there's another part to this but if we had received a little more information about this being then the story would have been more interesting than it already is which is certainly saying something!

Overall this is a great story but it needs a bit more work - particularly in the way it is written and the establishment of the characters. I would also seriously suggest you work on your spelling, punctuation and grammar - those are really important.
But apart from that, I thought it was great and look forward to reading the next parts!
Keep up the writing and feel free to look at my work!

priceofwords ;)

Deanie wrote a review...

Hi Pretezel!

I was really looking forward to when I could review something for you seeing as you have read all my chapters of my novel so far! I think this was a pretty good beginning to a story. Your idea has so much creativity in it. I don't think I could've thought of a story with clouds, rainbows and outer forces which went unseen. I also really like the name Claire that you have for your main character. I wonder what else is going to happen in this story seeing as it is just the beginning! There are so many paths it could take.

I felt like this was set in a kind of fantasy land (because we can't really ride rainbows here on earth, or end up in the clouds ;)) but I felt like we needed some more explaining. Like at the beginning, why was Claire even in a place where she might get trapped in a cloud to begin with? And let us have some more explaining as to why there are rainbows and clouds about. I think it is a good idea, I just need a bit more explanation as to how this world works so I can get a proper grasp on it. Also, I feel like it would be nicer if we could see a bit more of Claire's personality. Yes, we see that she is going through a lot of cool and interesting things, but we don't get to know about her as a person. Only about what is happening to her, and not her herself. So, seeing a bit more of her as a person would be nice, and it would be up to you as to how you included it in there.

Puff! The cloud shut it's lips on Celina

Does the cloud really have lips? Or did you want to say the cloud sealed itself over Celina? I would like to know, so that should be clarified, and make sure you use careful wording so it brings across the message you want it too. As well as that, it would be nice to hear a bit more about what it is like to be inside a cloud. It's something that I have never experienced myself, so tell me! Is it soft and cool, or cold and surprisingly less comfortable than we'd think? This would be the perfect place to put some extra description in.

She was trapped and felt that to her very bone and she's couldn't shake off the sensation that she was nowhere.

I think this needs to be split into two sentences. I would put a full stop after the word 'bone', get rid of the word 'and' and start the next sentence there because those two parts aren't really related to each other in meaning. It would be best to separate them so the reader doesn't get confused.

She stumbled upon something that looked like a slide; when she squinted to take a closer look, she saw it.

I feel like the end of the sentence should be 'she saw what it was'. Because at the beginning of the sentence we already know that she is looking at it, and saw and looked become a bit redundant. You need to add something new onto that sentence so that we understand that she is realizing what it is instead of simply looking at it.

red,orange,yellow,green,blue,indigo,

This is just a little thing! I noticed that occasionally after full stops, and especially after commas you forget the spaces we need to have there. This should really be red, orange, yellow, green... etc. So I am just reminding you to keep mindful of those spaces you need!

She peered intently and then seeing nothing normal gave up trying.

Seeing nothing normal? Isn't she looking for a voice, so she should be looking for something strange instead of normal? I think you meant that but accidently wrote the wrong word, and found it worth mentioning to you.

The experience was so lovely that this fun-loving person had to try it again.

Hm, this made me wonder how she was able to do such a thing? I mean, a rainbow ends at one side and then you land at the other. To get to the top of the rainbow again, or to the other end you would have to travel quite some distance. Does this mean Claire can fly? Because if she can I think that needs to have some mention in the story beforehand so it doesn't appear in there suddenly. Or, just explain how she is able to ride the same rainbow again and again. It could even be the outer force helping her to get there.

Celina's taste buds awakened like never before and she just couldn't stop sucking this fruit.

Hm... I think you need a bit more of a transition here. Suddenly she goes from riding down rainbows, to seeing this place, and then BAM she is already there! We need a bit more of a connector to see her making her way there and actually arriving before picking the fruit and trying it. It would be nice to see a place and then automatically be there, but we have to be mindful that that doesn't really happen.

random book and got so much inside the story that she

I feel like inside the story sounds a bit awkward. How about so immersed in the story?

This was the story she typed.

I am not sure how I feel about that ending. It's a bit cliché when you see it at the end with no hint of it at the beginning. If you mentioned this was a diary kind of thing at the beginning I could understand, but there was no warning of that. So, maybe have a different ending which is a bit more original. Or mention it earlier.

This was a good story so far! Let me know on my wall or anything if you post the next part or something else, because I want to keep reading!

Deanie x

Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:09 pm
Swiftfurthewarrior wrote a review...

Hi there, pretzelsnow!

I loved this little anecdote! The way you described everything was amazing, almost as if the reader were there.

I only noticed a few things wrong.

The first is that you keep repeating, "the outer mysterious force". Why not just, "the outer force"? Or you could give it a little more description, throw in a couple similes such as, "The outer force grabbed her without warning and hoisted her into the air like a supreme being reaching down through the sky". See what I mean?

The second is that whenever you end one sentence, the next one is on it's tail. Give it some space!

For example:

"Who was talking to her?Why couldn't she see anything."

"Who was talking to her? Why couldn't she see anything?"

Don't forget the second "?" in that particular sentence.

Lastly, It's kind of short. Why not expand some?
If you need help, don't be afraid to ask me or someone else!

That's all. I'd give it a 7/10.

Cheers!

~Swiftfur

Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:43 pm
steampowered wrote a review...

I really liked this, it was full of some wonderful imagery and it was very enjoyable to read. The content is really good, and you’re obviously a skilled writer. My only real suggestion for the text is to make it easier on the eyes by splitting up the paragraphs a bit more. You only have three paragraphs, and they’re all quite long. Shorter chunks of text are easier to read and I think you could really improve it by simply having more paragraphs. It would also have more of an impact in places such as the bit with the mysterious voice. This is just a suggestion, but perhaps you could split the text of the first paragraph up so it’s more like this:

Puff! The cloud shut it's lips on Celina.She was trapped and felt that to her very bone and she's couldn't shake off the sensation that she was nowhere. Knowing this,she decided to make the best of her situation right then and right there. Bravery was needed for her to survive.

She slowly and cautiously opened her eyelids and took a mental picture of the surrondings. She stumbled upon something that looked like a slide; when she squinted to take a closer look, she saw it.This "slide"was a vibrant,bright rainbow with the colors red,orange,yellow,green,blue,indigo, and violet wrapped up like in a perfect ribbon. Her eyeballs were bulging out of her sockets as the childhood enticement returned.She was going to try that slide if was the last thing she would do.

While she was analyzing the best way to climb it, a sweet and honey voice beside her starled her by whispering, "I can help you."

Celina whirled around,her ponytail hitting her neck. Who was talking to her?Why couldn't she see anything. She peered intently and then seeing nothing normal gave up trying. She suddenly felt pulled by some other force from her backside and pulled up into the summit of the rainbow slide. Shouting with glee, Celina put her legs up and slid down!

The experience was so lovely that this fun-loving person had to try it again. So for the next full hour Celina slid on the rainbow, heightning her happiness, and the slide never lost it's glory.

I don’t know if you agree with me, but I think it makes the story easier to read. You also need to make sure you have spacing after commas and other punctuation marks, as having the correct formatting will also make it flow more smoothly.

I couldn’t quite imagine the scene in the first paragraph, where Celina has been trapped inside a cloud. She takes a mental picture of her surroundings, but there’s not really enough description of the inside of the cloud. I was also confused by the slide; when she first stumbles upon the slide, she can tell it’s there, but it’s not until she squints that she sees it. It doesn’t quite make sense; maybe you could re-word it so she stumbles on something, looks down and sees the slide?

I also thought it was slightly weird that the mysterious force was grabbing Celina’s backside… perhaps you can rephrase that? Maybe it could just surround her and lift her gently up into the air – I got a rather strange image of her being unceremoniously hoisted up by the waistband of her pants!

A few very minor mistakes: “it’s lips” and “it’s glory” should be “its lips” and “its glory” (“it’s” is short for “it is,” but “its” indicates belonging) “Surrondings” should be “surroundings” and “starled” should be “startled.” “Heightning” should be “heightening” “everry” should be “every” “bookand” should be “book and” and “dissapointed” should be “disappointed.” “Addition” (when referring to the tree) should probably be “addiction” (unfortunately both are words, so spellcheck won’t pick up on it)

Apart from that I thought it was very surreal, and it’s definitely got a lot of potential. In my opinion the story itself is really interesting, it’s just the formatting that makes it hard to read. Hopefully I didn’t just discourage you with my review! :)

Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:20 pm
hope235 wrote a review...

Ok so I'm new to this review thing but I hope it helps. I love the imagery. You can clearly make out the scene. I think for improvement maybe you could go into more detail with the cubes. Also vary your sentence length. There mostly long. If you use short lines it will add a dramatic effect to your story. I hope this helps you. And I do love the story by the way pretzelsnow. It really dose sound like a wonderland.

Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:26 pm
AttackOfTheFlash wrote a review...

Hello! I'm Flash, and I will be reviewing this story.
Okay, so the imagery is very nice. It certainly is a wonderland! For some reason it kind of reminded me of the Overthere from the video game Super Paper Mario, haha. (Look it up one day, it's full of rainbows and pretty fruit!)
I noticed that throughout the story there are no spaces between commas, a couple periods, and a couple quotation marks. ALWAYS make sure that there are spaces. Sometimes they are easily overlooked, so always make sure to read through your work once it's done (but sometimes we all forget to do so, especially if you're eager to post it!)
"She stumbled upon something that looked like a slide;..." I would suggest taking away the semicolon and just placing a period there to start a new sentence after that.
"Like in a perfect ribbon" doesn't flow well. "Like a perfect ribbon" sounds better.
"That this fun loving person" would sound better as "that fun loving person."
"So for the next hour..." I would remove "so." It is distracting and does not flow well.
"The cloud shut it's lips..." "It's" is a contraction of "it is." "Its" is plural of "it."
The last two sentences seem very out of place. I do not know how I would revise it if I were you, but I feel like it is irrelevant. Plus, it's breaking the fourth wall. You wouldn't find something like that in a real story. At the end of a third person story, the author does not say "this is what the character did." It's not relevant and makes the reader confused.
-Flash

Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:25 pm
TheOtakuLord says...

Vary interesting.This story has such detail it astounds me,I've never seen any thing like it.

Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:24 pm
RosePetal8965 wrote a review...

Right here at "Puff! The cloud shut it's lips on Celina.She" there is supposed to be a space in-between Celina and She. It was a good beginning on how you said she was destined for survival.
Also I loved the ending saying how "This is the story she typed." I thought that was amazing. Another thing is that I loved the Book Store that she goes flying into. That is all I hoped you liked my review.

Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:21 pm
Rin321 says...

This is a cool interesting story! great job!

grammar is hard and i dislike it immensely
— Icon