The Tower

by Lucia

Ryu looked up and sighed. The Tower was noticeably taller than before, its silhouette darkly elongated against the setting sun. “When will we learn?” He thought, as he gathered his bow, arrows, and knives. Ryu was a hunter, his prey mostly consisting of hares, deer, and even the occasional bear. He was one of the few men who had just one wife, Ako, and she had born him two children. Most importantly however, Ryu and his family were believers in the one, true Maker.

As Ryu walked, he thought, as he had many times before, of the great things The Maker had done. The Great Flood of Water, for example. “Surely, Nimrod couldn’t claim human responsibility for that!” Ryu thought bitterly of Nimrod, the misguided leader of The Capital. Nimrod was one of those “new age believers”. He had begun the leading movement against theology, and had won with the idea that humans were the dominant creatures of the universe. At this thought, Ryu scoffed out loud. “As if the world before the Great Flood of Water hadn’t been foolish enough!” He froze, his eyes scanning the paved pathway, searching it for any person who could have heard this outburst. The Great Flood of Water was a touchy subject, banned by Nimrod because it stood as testimony of the incompetence of humans, and more importantly, of the living Maker.

Ryu, satisfied that none had heard, joined the citizens, all jostling and clumsily holding their burdens above their heads, as he entered the main courtyard. All citizens of The Capital were required to congregate in the various courtyards that surrounded the Tower. Then as custom demanded, they would kneel before the Tower, and sing “in awe of the greatness of humanity”, or so it said the monthly pamphlets. Even the others, who were not citizens of The Capital, were required to bow down facing the general direction of the Tower. Ryu, ever firm in his belief, had never done so, and so far he had escaped the notice of all but those in his general vicinity.

But, when the time came to kneel, even as he stood, ever defiant of all human ordinance, he quavered under the glare of two Capital guards. He stood firm, however, even as they made their way, stamping and shoving, to where he was. They grabbed his arms, and endeavored to make him kneel, even as he strived against them. They cursed and swore at him, eventually forcing him to his knees. Then, their faces gleamed with a strange light; their voices gave way to strange gargling. The guards let go, massaging their throats. “Are you all right? Wha-” Ryu tried to speak; tried, because, although he could understand himself, the sounds felt different in his mouth. The guards gave him a strange look, then quickly glanced around as surprised shouts arose among the crowd.

An outburst of strange sounds, the likes of which Ryu had never heard, filled the air, and confusion clouded Ryu’s thinking. Several people addressed him with their strange words, but he could only shrug his shoulders helplessly. Nimrod, who was in the very front of the Tower, glanced back irritably, then slowly got to his feet as his eyes widened with unbelief.

Ryu had realized by this time that he could understand no one in the courtyard. His throat muscles constricted in worry as his thoughts wandered toward his wife and children. He joined the bunch of people already clambering to exit the courtyard. He ran as fast as his legs would carry him, straight into his thatch-roofed house. He found his family huddled at the table. “Can you understand me?” He asked hurriedly. Ako’s expression changed from one of fear to one of relief, as she quickly nodded, and said, “Yes, thank the Maker! The children can understand us as well.” Ryu knelt down beside them and wrapped them all in his arms.

“We must leave,” He said, finally releasing them, “I believe that this is a sign from the Maker.” Ako nodded, and she got up to gather their belongings. Ryu saddled the horses, and led the pack mule out to be laden with their supplies. Then, noticing that the streets and small alleyways were still crowded with confused, fearful people, he led his family out of the Capital.

When they had long since left the outskirts of the city, they looked back, and saw a long snake-like horde of citizens winding away from the Capital. Ryu could still hear the confused shouting, violent outbursts, and even the weeping. He looked even farther, in the middle of the Capital itself, and saw the Tower, burning, crumble into dust as if submitted to extreme pressure. “The end of a Tyrant,” Ryu thought.

Ryu then turned to face the grasslands before him, and descended the hill, never to face the Capital again.

WritingforHim99 wrote a review...

Hi there!
First of all, I wanted to say how much I loved the inspiration for your story!! :) I'm a Christian too, and to see someone else taking a Bible story and expounding on it is awesome.
Also, before I dive into critiquing your work, I want to let you know how much I enjoyed the tale itself. You did well using creative license, yet at the same time drawing from the facts of the Bible. With that, let me begin...

1. In the first paragraph, you could expound a bit on the setting and background of the story. Give the reader an idea of the landscape where Ryu lives. You say that he's a hunter of hare, deer, and bear. Where does he hunt? Are there woodlands nearby?

2. In the second paragraph, you said,
"Nimrod was one of those “new age believers”. He had begun the leading movement against theology, and had won with the idea that humans were the dominant creatures of the universe."
In the first sentence, you have the period outside of the quotation marks. Technically, you're supposed to have it within the quotation marks. Your next sentence is correct grammatically, but it sounds a bit awkward. Maybe to make it smoother and clearer, you could say: "He had begun a leading movement against the theology of the one true God, and had won over many with the idea that humans were the dominant creatures of the universe." Also, explain a bit more about the Great Flood of Water (I know what it is, but others may not. You don't want to assume the reader knows what you're talking about.)

3. Third paragraph: You said: "Then as custom demanded, they would kneel before the Tower, and sing “in awe of the greatness of humanity”, or so it said the monthly pamphlets." Why does custom demand it? Does Nimrod demand it? What monthly pamphlets? Why are there pamphlets? Also, the comma should be within the quotation marks.

4. Paragraph 4: In the previous paragraph, you said that until now, he had escaped the notice of everyone. Why, all of a sudden, is he seen by the guards? What had he done to escape attention previously? Also, you use the word "even" a lot. You may want to reword some of your sentences. You said: "He stood firm, however, even as they made their way, stamping and shoving, to where he was." You never want to end a sentence with a helping verb. "...where he stood" would be better.

5: Paragraph 6: You said: "His throat muscles constricted in worry as his thoughts wandered toward his wife and children." I like how you describe Ryu's worry and confusion in the previosu paragraphs. But you might want to consider using a stronger word to describe Ryu's thoughts of his family. "Wandered" sounds a bit too casual. Also, why wasn't Ryu's family in the courtyard, kneeling with the others?

6: I think you summed up the remaining paragraphs too quickly. All of a sudden Ryu decides its time to go, he packs his things, and leaves with his family. And all of a sudden, the Tower is down. Woah! You should make that into a spectacular event, and describe it more. Make Ryu's family gasp in astonishment as they see the Tower crumble.

Thank you for posting this! I really enjoyed reading it. Keep writing!!

~WritingforHim99

Lucia says...

Thank you for all your words of encouragement and compliments! Before I say anything else, I want to let you know that I think that you review very well. You said things in such a way as to show me my mistakes, but make me laugh at myself at the same time. Thanks!
The review itself was food for thought, and was very helpful!
As for the whole "monthly pamphlets" thing, I made a comment below explaining about how I was "modernizing" this a little.
Anyways, thanks a bunch!

Lucia says...

Just for everyone's information, I am slightly making this a little modernized by adding things like "monthly pamphlets". I was keeping in mind how advanced the civilization may have been before the flood, and how humanity would most likely still have some recollection of that, even after said flood.
Thanks for reading it!

ExOmelas wrote a review...

The thought that Ryu has in the first paragraph does not need speech marks around it.

'born him two children' - 'born' should be 'borne'. 'borne' is the past tense of 'bear'.

When Ryu speaks out loud, you should take a new paragraph.

'testimony of the incompetence' - 'of' should be 'to'.

'widened with unbelief' - 'unbelief' should be 'disbelief'.

So, I'm not religious at all. I therefore have no idea what this is based on. This will be a completely independent review, as if this is a completely independent short story. With that in mind:

You characterisation is good. There is a bit of a problem in that Ryu doesn't seem to have that much of an opinion about the ordinary people. Does he think they have been brainwashed? Does he despise them for following Nimrod? But his emotions come across excellently!

I could picture what was happening easily and sound in particular was easy to imagine.

My only other concern is that the story is a little easy. Ryu doesn't meet all that many obstacles and this means that I don't get that invested in him. I don't know if that's because I don't agree with him in his condemnation of Nimrod or not but if I'm treating this as just a straight-forward story, then I think you should add some jeopardy.

Great vocabulary and flow though.

Well done :)

Lucia says...

Thank you for reading this, and also for all the critiques and compliments that followed! It was very helpful!
About the bible story, the original doesn't actually focus on one person or their feelings. So, in that respect, this story is entirely fictional. I was really focused on not writing anything to change the actual biblical story, so I must have breezed through some necessary emotions.
If you want to look at the actual biblical story, the reference is Genesis 11:1-9.
Again, thanks for reviewing!

ExOmelas says...

You're welcome :-)

jessiethought wrote a review...

Hey, this is cool. I like it. The story is short, but it's definitely got good stuff in it. And Ryu seems like a cool guy--I mean, he hasn't forgotten God, after all. :) I don't have very many suggestions.

“When will we learn?” He thought

"He" shouldn't be capitalized.

Ryu was a hunter, his prey mostly consisting of hares, deer, and even the occasional bear.

The phrase in red is a little awkward... maybe rephrase that? Divide the sentence into two maybe, or completely reword this section? For example, "Ryu was a hunter. His prey consisted of..."

it stood as testimony of the incompetence of humans, and more importantly, of the reality/power/some-similar-word of the living Maker.

Without the parallelism of the word that I think you should add, the sentence could be misread as "testimony of the incompetence of humans and the living Maker." Do you see what I mean? The sentence might accidentally sound as if you mean the incompetence of the Maker. But I don't think you mean that. :)

and sing “in awe of the greatness of humanity”, or so it said the monthly pamphlets.

Monthly pamphlets? I don't think they had pamphlets back then... when I read the sentence, the mentions of "pamphlets" seemed off... maybe talk about their weekly mass meetings or something? Something that would exist back then....

“Can you understand me?” He asked hurriedly.

Uncapitalize "he." Uh, sorry, "uncapitalize" isn't a word, but... that's okay, I guess. You get what i mean, right? :)

“We must leave,” He said

Here's the same thing again.

In general, this is a pretty good story. I like it. Nice take on the tower of Babel. :)

~ jessiethought ~

Lucia says...

Thanks for reviewing it!
You brought to light some things that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— Someone Incredibly Noncommittal