Trains

by Jessheeran

How can you say you're okay

How can you say you're fine

When I cry everyday,

And I'm awake every night?

Today is the 365th day

And you still seem to endure life

While I drink my thoughts away

'Cause we're not husband and wife

I mourn our children to be

I mourn you teaching them math

I mourn singing them to sleep

And hearing our children laugh

I miss all the things we did

Like comparing the same stars

I miss your big blue eyes

Your awkward smile, even your scars

If I could only turn back time

And control every single train

I promise I would make you stay

I'd ease your mind, I'd ease your brain

How can you sleep so peacefully

When you know I'm not alone?

I'm drinking out of every bottle

Gasping your name in every moan.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:55 am
NatD wrote a review...

Over all I felt your work was very well written. Almost every line should be ended with a comma, although the first few lines should have been punctuated with a question marks. Only to keep the rhythm of the poem going. Every other aspect of your poem is almost perfect. I think this piece of work is out standing.

Jessheeran says...

Thank you so much! That means a lot to me. *

r4p17 wrote a review...

Knight r4 here to review this poem for you, Jeesheeran. I certainly hope this helps you!

This poem is probably one of the best poems I have read, especially on YWS. Granted I'm not all that big into poems, but this one was really good. I would definitely read more of your poems if I have the time! :). This really conveys the emotion of the person well.

I did have a couple nitpicks. I think that one thing people who write poetry tend to do is fail to use much if any punctuation. If you were to read through it you could find several places where a comma or maybe end mark could be inserted. That just helps the reader know when to pause and so on so they can catch the rhythm of the poem a little bit better.

I also think that you might want to put a rating on this such as twelve because you mention drinking and divorce, even if it is somewhat indirectly.

Overall with a couple of added touches this could be an even better poem than it already is. The words and everything were alright, just add some punctuation to them. ;). Once again I hope this helps and I definitely look forward to reading more of your poetry!! Happy writing!!! :D

Jessheeran says...

First of all, thank you so much!

Yeah, I'm thinking about putting more punctuation in it, although I was a bit scared it'd take away what I wanted to portray at the time, which isn't the exact same I feel right now, which is less intense, and a bit more.... punctuation. [Bottled laugh]
About the rating, I totally agree with you.

Thank you so much for your review and kind words! <3

r4p17 says...

You're more than welcome! :)

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:04 am
Wolfi says...

:o That was amazing! The rhymes and story and imagery were just perfect. Great job!

Jessheeran says...

Oh my goodness, thank you so, so much!

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:50 am
EgTucks wrote a review...

Wow, I really enjoyed this piece. I could really feel all the emotion this character is expressing. " How can you sleep so peacefully when you know I'm not alone? I'm drinking out of every bottle gasping your name in every moan." I thought that was a very powerful ending and there was such imagery to it. Nice job, keep up the good work!

Jessheeran says...

Thank you so much, that means a lot to me!

I say Wolf, for all wolves are not of the same sort; there is one kind with an amenable disposition – neither noisy, nor hateful, nor angry, but tame, obliging and gentle, following the young maids in the streets, even into their homes. Alas! Who does not know that these gentle wolves are of all such creatures the most dangerous!
— Charles Perrault