z

Young Writers Society



...

by TakeThatYouFiend


...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
425 Reviews


Points: 50
Reviews: 425

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:14 am
Vervain wrote a review...



Hello, darling! I'm glad to take an approach to this poem, as someone who's actually not a huge fan of Doctor Who and not super-knowledgeable on the royal family, but it's still very entertaining! It takes quite a humorous approach to the subject of the Queen and her habits at home, when she's not in front of all the press. It's definitely a more unique standpoint than all the songs that simply praise the royal family and the government, and it takes a stab at the idea that British people inherently enjoy watching the BBC because, hello, it's British.

I think your rhymes are actually very well-thought-out and executed, and they don't feel very forced at all, but your meter seems a little off, and I would hope this would be remedied in a musical form of this, of course by altering the beat patterns and note lengths. As it is, it doesn't feel very rhythmic except for the refrain line, which is repeated enough that it begins to sound rhythmic of its own accord, along with the lines coupled with it. In your second true verse, the meter goes very off, especially in the last line - "helicopters" is simply too long, and it elongates the line unnecessarily, so it might behoove you to change the phrase up a little and find a happy medium.

I would definitely love to hear someone perform this, and see what sort of musical accompaniment would go along with it!




User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 1198
Reviews: 36

Donate
Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:59 am
Utopia says...



Great poem! I loved the rhythm of the poem and it's hilarious content.
(Personally, I think it's Once Upon a Time the queen watches)






Thanks, please don't forget to *like*!



Tiaradyson says...


I thought it was Game of Thrones lol XD





There is a rumour she does watch doctor who.



User avatar
46 Reviews


Points: 467
Reviews: 46

Donate
Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:53 am
Astronaut says...



I've heard that she does.






Thank you, don't forget to *like*!



User avatar
802 Reviews


Points: 18884
Reviews: 802

Donate
Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:12 am
Dracula says...



Yes! I love this and have wondered it a lot. She must have a favourite show and come on, she did sort of make an appearance on Doctor Who! I just wonder what she thinks about all the royal family references they put in there; werewolves and all that stuff. Great song! It's fantastic!






Thank you, please don't forget to *like*!



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 1326
Reviews: 12

Donate
Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:11 pm
View Likes
Elinor565 says...



Hmmm... I don't know, but I do think that she watches Game of Thrones.
I loved your piece, by the way!




User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 256
Reviews: 37

Donate
Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:21 pm
View Likes



Oh my goodness this was hialrious! it was a short, cutsey little poem. being a doctor who fan myself, i really enjoyed his. i loved its beat and flow, and how you used the royal family as an obvious example. it had a nice rhyming beat and felt consistant. very good job, i really liked it!






Thank you, please don't forget to *like*!



User avatar
65 Reviews


Points: 607
Reviews: 65

Donate
Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:00 pm
wtppowers wrote a review...



Hey now! It's Mr. Powers here, for another fun and exciting review! Today, I'm going to look at this humorous poem, "Does the Queen watch Doctor Who?".

When looking through the other reviews, it was obvious that people have already managed to nitpick through any errors you had, and it's clear that you fixed them. There is, however, still one tiny thing.

You didn't capitalize the "w" in "watch". You know, the one in your title? Generally, the first letter of each title word should be capitalized. Other than that, you're good.

Now, to the subject of the poem itself. I find it believable that the Queen watches Doctor Who. It is one of the most popular TV programs in the UK. However, when you say "The Duke of Cambridge rather enjoyed shooting people dead"... I don't find that to be completely true. Yes, he was in the UK's Armed Forces. But he doesn't go on a killing spree when he's not with his family, does he?

In the end, this gets a favorable review from me. It's quite enjoyable. Keep it up!






I know it isn't true, it was just me being weird... :-)





Don't forget to *like*!



User avatar
274 Reviews


Points: 3742
Reviews: 274

Donate
Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:23 pm
cleverclogs says...



Haha, this is excellent! Great work! I heard from somewhere that she does watch Doctor Who, although whatever source that was from is definitely not reliable. :) Keep it up!




User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 3000
Reviews: 49

Donate
Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:08 pm
wakarimasen says...



I often wonder this myself! :D I think Prince Charles visited the TARDIS set some months back. Maybe he watches Doctor Who. ;)




User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:14 pm
ExOmelas wrote a review...



'We see her in her ceremonies, we see her royal coach' - I think that comma should be a semi-colon.

'The question that is on my mind and I need the answer to,' - and I think this comma should be a colon.

'And Prince Harry quite likes flying helicopters now instead.' - I think the rhythm would work better if the 'quite' wasn't there.

'So when the Queen's relaxing does she watch Doctor Who?' - There should be a comma between 'relaxing' and 'does'.

'When the Queens relaxing does she watch Doctor Who?' - you forgot the apostrophe in 'Queen's'.


I LOVE IT. This is just so good. These are the most British lyrics I've ever heard. They had everything - treating the monarchy as minor celebrities, casual references to Doctor Who which is the anchor of our culture, of course.

Well done! :)






Thanks! Don't forget to *like*!



ExOmelas says...


I had forgotten but then I read you saying this below the other review and I was like 'Oh - oh - I have to like!' I think I shall add that to the next time I say thanks for a review :)



User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:59 pm
View Likes
erilea wrote a review...



Wow! Love it! It's a questioning song\poem but also with a bit of humor, especially on this part:

All the family members have things to pass the time,

For Prince Charles, paints and ponies every day is fine,

The Duke of Cambridge rather enjoyed shooting people dead,

And Prince Harry quite likes flying helicopters now instead.

-

All the family members have lots of things to do,

So when the Queen's relaxing does she watch Doctor Who?

-

Please will someone tell me, is the rumour I heard true?

When the Queens relaxing does she watch Doctor Who?

I think while you're adding humor in these paragraphs\stanzas\verses, I think you really are expressing the whole point of this song. I think you have a lot of potential, Just keep interesting me on these type of things!






Thanks, don't forget to like!



erilea says...


I am!




You wake up in the morning and it feels impossible? Good. You do it anyway.
— Martin Scorcese