Quadratus

by Audy

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

This is a poetry series that will be made up of 16 cantos (poems) loosely inspired by shadow of the colossus, because whynot.

<-Previous

____________________________________

Cantos II - Quadratus

Rook wrote a review...

Hello! I'm here again. :)
Man these monsters are cool-lookin'. I also tried to translate this word, and it apparently means "the square" in Latin (amongst 19 other translations). The monster looks kind of square, and your poem looks square too. It also looks like a newspaper. I very much like the way it's set up. It's pleasing to my quirky sense. The content (especially the very first line) also feels square, like a city, you know?

Going on to content.
The first "stanza" was hard to understand. I assume you were listing buildings, but then I think you went on to something else. I think my main confusion came from the "Ashford Park institution droned for elementary school children droned out by peak-hour traffic" part. Are you saying that the institution is droned out? Is the institution specifically for children who are droned out? What does droned out really mean? o_O
I'm also not sure what the significance of all these buildings is to the rest of the canto. Maybe it comes later in the series, but.

I like the next stanza. The way you have "July" set apart drags a lot of emphasis to it. That's not a bad thing. I like the imagery in the last part of this. Good stanza, very clear.

The next stanza confused me only because it seemed that it was in a hot time, moss? That grows when it's warm, not when it's frosty. I like how this tied into the last canto, and I love the mythology. The imagery is great too. It just seemed inconsistent with the last stanza.

I like the final one best of all. And is that a symbol for taurus?
It's a very simple and beautiful end to a beautiful poem.

Anyway, I liked this very much!
Keep at it!
~fortis

Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:06 pm
ccwritingrainbow wrote a review...

Another great poem in the series. It's short, but there's a point in it. Plus, I love what you did with the format. Are you going to do something special with every poem? Please do. I did find one error that you should be aware of.

"But it's cold for July." It shouldn't be uppercased, the "it's." I'm sorry, I'm a grammar nazi, so I have to keep on eye on this like this.

I'm even more sorry that this review is short. XD

You don't need to follow me! You don't need to follow anybody! You got to think for yourselves!
— Brian Cohen