z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Adventure of the Fifty Dollar Note

by hitxuanni


The fifty dollar note was in the man's bag. It was one of many.

He stood on a subway platform, waiting for a train that was hopelessly late. A crowd had begun to gather, and grumble. Yet he felt lighter than he had in months. The man was a father.

Finally, finally.

His bag was agape. The zipper had broken long, long ago, yet a replacement had seemed, at the time unnecessary. It cost little, but was far more than he could afford to spare.

A grey stubble was forming on his chin, his clothes were faded, worn thin.

Like his mind.

But soon. Everything would be alright soon.

The train arrived, screeching to a sudden halt. There was a rush to get into the train.

A little push, an elbow in the ribs.

A little tug on his bag.

Four stops. He knew where he was going. He had gone far too many times in the last year.

He smiled. A small, crooked smile. Relief. Nobody else on the train noticed his quiet joy.

And when he reached the hospital, there she was! His little girl. Pale white, beautiful blonde hair like her long gone mother. Wired up to two intravenous tubes, breathing from an oxygen mask. Breathing solely because of the oxygen mask.

The payment, sir? It's been two months.

Finally, finally.

Yes, yes I have it.

The man's voice had rusted. He never had anyone to talk to anymore. No one to sing lullabies to. No one to tell stories to.

His bag was agape.

Empty.

I had it, the man muttered. I had it, right here.

He forced the bag open. It ripped slightly at the rims.

Sir, please.

I had it. I had it. Please.

Empty.

Sir... I'm sorry, but-

No, no no. I must have dropped it somewhere, I must have.

Empty.

Sir, she doesn't have much time left.

No.

Empty.

That night, a father became just another man.

No one was there to hear the man's regretful cries.

One. One small mistake.

The fifty dollar note was in another man's bag. It was one of many. It was tucked safely in a small, zipped compartment. This man lives on others' mistakes, and is careful not to make any.

[[A/N: Something I wrote a little while ago when I first wanted to try writing a very detached narrative that wasn't in second person. I fear it might have been a little confusing for you, so do let me know if it's so much so that it takes away from the story... It's alright to me, but then I wrote it, so...]]


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 11

Donate
Thu May 29, 2014 5:52 am
AmorEtOdium wrote a review...



This was really, really good. It was short and sweet. Well, I wouldn't say sweet. The ending really bothered me, but that's mostly because I'm used to happy endings. Haha! Well, I don't have much to say. I love the way you structured your sentences. They weren’t overly complicated, yet they weren’t so simple I would have expected a little kid to have written this (even though with the story, I still would be impressed). I actually felt this piece to be a tad poetic, and I guess that’s what it really was- a poem, in a sense. I’m not sure if you meant to leave off quotation marks or not, but I’m leaning toward you meant to. Again, it was slightly poetic, so I feel that the fact you left off quotation marks was intended, as was the simplicity. Alright, I’m going to wrap this up before I start to sound like a broken record that’s stuck on one of the most annoying song one could ever think of. Thank you for writing the story, and even if you didn’t plan on using the simplicity as a tool, you used it well. Okay, okay; I’ll stop now. Have a nice day, or night, or afternoon!
Ps, it wasn’t really confusing to me, to be honest. To others it might be, but I’ll let them tell you if that’s true.

One last thing, the last line really got me thinking, to be honest. It was something very true, and something that occurs often.




User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Thu May 29, 2014 5:40 am
Iggy wrote a review...



Hello! A belated welcome to you. :)

A crowd had begun to gather, and grumble.


The comma after gather isn't needed. Also, judging from the next sentence, you mean to say that the man is grumbling, not the crowd? If so, make it clear.

at the time


A comma is needed after time.


Okay, so while I adore the briefness of this, I do think you can be a bit more explanatory on things. Like the daughter, perhaps. What's her age? What's she dying of? Where's the mother?

And the money. The entire story centers around a fifty dollar note, which I assume is American currency? Although most Americans consider it just a dollar and don't tag on the note part. That confused me, as I was thinking this was set in England. So you should make that clear, at the very least.

Also, about the money: his daughter is dying and all he needs is fifty dollars to get her treated? You'd think the cost for treatment was in the ten thousands, not fifty freaking bucks. That doesn't seem realistic to me. Maybe this is a poor hospital or strict doctors or this is set in the 1970s and fifty bucks is like our thousands, but still. Specify so things are more clear.

But other than that, I like the basic plot of this. It shows how a simple pickpocket can change the course of someone's fate and that they can indirectly cause a death, or worse. It makes you think and want to question any and all moves you make from here on, because lord knows that any small thing can have repercussions. I like the love the father has for his daughter and his refusal to accept defeat, shown by him tearing apart his bag to find the money.

I think this was very well written, albeit vague. I enjoyed reading it. :)

~Iggy





What's stopping you?
— David Mamet