z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Violence Mature Content

Mom I hate roads!

by rishabh


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

Here I am inserting a thrilling story of Anjum (my character). This story is fictional but the experiences are real. I made this story after collecting so many episodes of Indian women on the road and in public transport as well.

“Mom, I hate roads.”

This is the last line, which Anjum wrote on a piece of paper. She was very bright student of her class. Her father was politician and he had a good name in politics once. After that incident with anjum, he lost everything. This incident was happened one month ago, anjum was following her daily routine; she dressed up on her schedule and went to college for an event called “Nirvana”.

After the event when she was going towards the college bus stand, somebody told her that entire bus staff is on holiday, go and pick some public transport. She got shocked and after the argument, she took the last bus from local bus stop. Very few people were inside the bus, all were men. She found it weird and grabbed the second seat from the front. After few seconds, she heard whistling sounds and vulgar comments from the back. She got frightened. When she turned back, she found that she got the wrong bus; all men who were sitting at the back were fellows of the conductor. She got tensed and screeched: “stop the bus!”

Bus halted for seconds and everyone from back started coming forward. She got tensed. She closed her eyes, held her bag tight from her chest and crossed her legs. She started crying but no one felt pity for that young girl. One man came and sat next to her. After watching her tensed face, he put his hand on her thighs and started massaging them. She was crying heavily but no one was in the mood to leave her alone. After sometime, another man came and started kissing on her hands and cheeks. She was sitting like a statue; she was not in a state to protest because she knew that if she will protest they will beat her or even kill her. She was suffering that pain being a stoic. One by one everyone came and teased her. When everyone got chance to tease her. They raped her one by one in the same sequence. After that gang rape, they left her on the road and hid somewhere with their bus. At night, somehow, she managed to find her home in a very bad situation; no wounds were there on her body, looking as if she had done sex with few men in consensual manner. She came home and closed herself in the bathroom. When her mother came to see her with dinner, she found blood coming out from the bathroom. As she entered into the bathroom, she got frightened after watching anjum’s dead body. Her father being a politician couldn’t be able to find those rapists. He lost his position and health in shock.

To gleam few minutes fun from an innocent girl, they soiled the future of entire family. Parents lost their daughter and their daughter lost her precious life. Those fucking persons did everything; they teased her in a way that her emotions got hurt. She was feeling helpless and frustrated. At last, she chose her path and ended her life. Eve teasing many times gives birth to rape. When assaulters find eve teasing interesting they sexually tease a girl and leave her but that eve teasing thing continues until that man lost his interest from it. In other cases, assaulters include rape in their wish list if they quickly lost their interest from eve teasing. The same thing happened with Anjum, she experienced both the crimes at the same time, which left a big question mark inside her grey matter, and finally she committed suicide without any protest and demand for justice.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 814
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sun May 25, 2014 12:30 pm
Username26 wrote a review...



Hello, I'm here to do a review of your short story. On the whole, it's a great story with a very important message, however there are a lot of issues that need to be dealt with.
First of all you spell Anjum with a lower case A several times, this is just a minor thing which needs fixing.
Secondly, I think you need to set the scene better by describing the events in more detail. You say "She got shocked after the argument," this sentence doesn't help show the reader ow the argument shocked her, it just says she's shocked, but a better way to tell the reader that would be to give a few lines telling what the other person said and what Anjum said in reply. This would also give you an opportunity to develop her character more.
When you describe the way that the men teased her before the rape, perhaps you could include details of what they said and descriptions of how they looked. This would help a lot to help the reader imagine what's going on and empathise with her.
I understand if you might not want to go into too much detail during the rape, but it would help the reader understand why she was driven to suicide if we were given some reference as to how humiliating and horrible it was.
I agree with Iggy that it is slightly unrealistic that no one would help her, that being said I know that it does happen. What is more unrealistic, in my opinion is that she wouldn't at least ask for some kind of help. I would suggest you add something like this, maybe she goes to her Mother and asks for help and she doesn't believe her, or says there's nothing she can do. Then you can use this incident to build up towards her killing herself. Also in your story I don't see how the father would have known that his daughter was raped, if she didn't tell anyone and he never found the men, he wouldn't know.

So this story could be great, it is sad and its message is important, but it doesn't make you feel sad, because there isn't enough emotion in it, we don't know enough about the character's feelings. If you change a few of these things and some grammar mistakes, it'll be much better :)




User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Sun May 25, 2014 1:26 am
Iggy wrote a review...



Hello there, rishabh! Nice to see you around. :mrgreen: Just so you know, I bumped the rating on this and added a M, V, and L for content.

She was avery bright student of her class.


Add in the bolded.

Her father was politician and he had a good name in politics once.


This sentence contradicts itself. You can't say that her father is a politician, meaning he is currently still one, and then say that he used to have a good name. It makes no sense. Tweak this sentence so it makes sense.

After that incident with anjum


Anjum should be capitalized.

This incident was happened one month ago, anjum was following her daily routine;


Was should be has. Anjum should be capitalized. This is also a comma splice so fix it.

she was going towards the college bus stand


The bus stop*, you mean?

somebody told her that the entire bus staff


Add in the bolded.

go and pick some public transport.


Transportation*

She got shocked


Was*

she took the last bus from the local bus stop.


Add in the bolded.



Okay, so I'm not gonna bother to point out the rest of the nitpicks. Please go through and edit this. It's got a lot of tense switches, comma splices, run on sentences, etc. It needs to be cleaned up so it can be read smoothly instead of the reader struggling to understand what something means.

In all honesty, this made me feel nothing. Anjum was gang raped and killed herself. That's all I walk away with. I don't have tears running down my face or a knife in my gut from the pain or horror in my eyes. I feel nothing. I mean, yes, it's sad, but I literally feel nothing because no emotions were evoked while reading this. I think you should put some more emotion into this and more importantly. some of Anjum's thoughts. How does she feel? I mean obviously she feels like crap. I mean, who wouldn't? But I want to know more. More of her thoughts, her emotions, how she spiraled towards suicide. All of that.

I also find this a bit... unrealistic? I mean, she was raped on a bus and the driver did nothing? What country is this in? And why on earth wouldn't she at least go to the police or her mother and tell them what happened? I don't know; maybe it's just because I would tell someone and that I've never been in this position, but I think that she shouldn't have kept quite.

Also, a comment on the rape: she said she didn't tell the police because it looked like it was consensual sex. If she was being held down by a bunch of men, who are most likely stronger and bigger than her, then there's no way someone would write her bruises/black eye/bloody lip/damaged genitalia as "consensual". I found that part hard to swallow.

But other than that, this was some pretty dark stuff. :/ I hate reading this kind of stuff. Dx Hence why this needed a rating. Anyways, hope this helped.

~Iggy




User avatar
98 Reviews


Points: 5567
Reviews: 98

Donate
Sat May 24, 2014 4:47 pm
budding writer wrote a review...



Hey there!
Budding writer here for a review! So here goes:

Firstly there are alot of issues with your grammar that you need to correct apart from that I felt that sometimes you left sentences hanging and they were not completed cause it did dot give the complete meaning. I'll start from the beginning:

"She was very bright student of her class. "
It should have been :she was one of the brightest students of her class"

"Her father was politician and he had a good name in politics once. "
you could have made it more compact like: "Her father who had once had a good name in politics"

"This incident was happened one month ago, anjum was following her daily routine; she dressed up on her schedule and went to college for an event called “Nirvana”."
I noticed several things here. The name Anjum has to be capitalized. The first sentence has to be broken up into two separate sentences. The last sentence does not grammatically sound right.

" somebody told her that entire bus staff is on holiday, go and pick some public transport. "
Ok if here someone is telling her this than it should be treated as a dialogue and used within inverted commas.

" She was crying heavily but no one was in the mood to leave her alone. "
Remember what I was saying about some sentences being grammatically incorrect this is one of them.

" She came home and closed herself in the bathroom. "
It should have been "locked"

"she got frightened after watching anjum’s dead body."
It should have been after "seeing"


"Her father being a politician couldn’t be able to find those rapists."
This sentence was kinda odd cause he was a powerful politician and he has the money so he can just like order the cops and bribe them with extra money so why weren't they able to find the rapists?

"To gleam few minutes fun from an innocent girl, they soiled the future of entire family."
The word "gleam" is not appropriate here.

" In other cases, assaulters include rape in their wish list if they quickly lost their interest from eve teasing. "
It should be "lose"

"When assaulters find eve teasing interesting they sexually tease a girl and leave her but that eve teasing thing continues until that man lost his interest from it."
This is very true but the sentance is not structured correctly.


"which left a big question mark inside her grey matter,"
"grey matter"? Thats kinda harsh. Use a better word instead.

There were also alot of "a" and "the" missing. Be sure to check that when you go through it again. Overall I'm glad that your trying to create awareness about it specially since its increased so much.
Keep writing!

-Budding Writer





Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?
— Obi-Wan Kenobi