z

Young Writers Society


12+

Second Always Comes Last: Oh Sweet Home [null]

by Blackwood


[nullified]


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
530 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 530

Donate
Tue May 20, 2014 8:49 pm
Renard wrote a review...



Thank you. Thank you for using dialogue for the opening. I love these kind of media res openings. Yay.

‘Pens down boys. Did you hear me Johnson? You won’t get even a moment extra end of year, so neither do you now.’


I like the way this progresses with the stuff with the shop and things. I can estimate where this is going but I am not going to reveal it.
Improvement again comes from the technical stuff of paragraph structuring, length, variety and the spelling.
So yeah, gonna read the next bit.




Random avatar

Points: 327
Reviews: 30

Donate
Tue May 20, 2014 11:39 am
Ehtaniel says...



So, the story continues. I really like the way you write. It sounds really good, keeping that three parts structure in each chapter make it interesting. Well, in fact I haven't much to say (so it's not a review) except that it's good and I've good expectation for the following chapters and the end of the story.




User avatar
317 Reviews


Points: 20
Reviews: 317

Donate
Mon May 19, 2014 11:07 pm
lostthought wrote a review...



Hey! I'm guessing none are reviewing the technical stuff any more. Characters, characters, characters. Honestly, can we just know about our grammar?

Nitpicks

Spoiler! :
even a moment extra end of year

What? Are we getting an extra year or something?

next years class

You be missing apostrophe. That be bad. Put apostrophe between year and s

The moment they were in his hands boys

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure The moment they were in his hands is an independent clause. But where is comma, hmmm?

Sir was trying hard to to grin.

He was trying hard to grin, like it was a bad joke? Was he grimacing or something?

He’s suck a slacker

What's a suck slacker?


I reviewed! Yay! That review money was scaring me a bit.




Blackwood says...


The reason is grammar nit picks aren't really helpful and talking about the story is. Especially considering all of those you mentioned above were either typos (which I have now corrected) or you were wrong.



lostthought says...


I'm more into grammar and capitalization, and I know other people are more into knowing what their story is like. I'm not very good at reviewing the plot and character stuff (sometimes I would get a headache trying to figure out a plot), so I stick with technical stuff (which would be good depending how soon you want something to be published because some won't read things with a lot of technical errors).



Blackwood says...


Well if you want to specialize in that, you need to make sure that you are right for all of them then.



lostthought says...


Then can I ask what I got wrong so I can apply it to future knowledge when reviewing?



Blackwood says...


First and third one.



lostthought says...


Thanks. The first one I was unsure of the wording and the third one just seemed like it would be an independent clause.



Blackwood says...


The first one I sort of agree with you, and there is a way to improve the wording, but since it's dialogue I felt like it could be preserved.
The third one is not independent , and putting a comma would make it incorrect.



User avatar
476 Reviews


Points: 561
Reviews: 476

Donate
Sat May 17, 2014 6:19 am
Apricity wrote a review...



Heyo Blackwood, Subtle here for a review!

Hmmm, what was I got to comment on. Ah yes, the characters and plot. Your writing, grammar and spelling is as flawless as any YWSers can get on here, so is a hopeless case if I try to comment on them.

I don't have a lot for the plot either, just a few hunches here and there. The one thing that bothered me a little, is the characters. I have not doubt one of your reviewers have told you this. Your characters, though each have a distinct way of speaking and personality to some degree. Especially with Beaureguard, he stands out the most besides Nazza. The rest just seems to be there, like there isn't enough depth into them yet. Because you switch different characters each part,car don't really get a in-depth view into any of them. Even with Nazza, whom is our constant MC. We still only get what he thinks of others and not a lot on himself. This is almost like a first person omniscient (I know it doesn't exist, but it feels like it, as if we are standing from a outsider's POV).

One of my next hence, is actually on the collective group of the history boys. Despite we know them and all, and despite the earlier claims in Nazza's chapter. I still don't have the feel that they are a collective of boys with the same goal. It doesn't have that feel that they all belong in this group but instead, is like this faint whisper that they realize they are into something but nothing serious. That bond between still needs to develop, but this is already the eighth chapter. You might want to speed up the bonding and action a bit, for the past seventh chapters we have gotten to understand each of the inidvuals a bit now is time to throw them together and see what happens.

One of the most enjoyable parts is actually, reading about Sir when he's alive. But this story is very intriguing, so please keep updating when you're ready.

-S.s




User avatar
110 Reviews


Points: 6441
Reviews: 110

Donate
Fri May 16, 2014 9:45 pm
Gardevite says...



So interesting. I'm wondering if all the details of the future (post dead-sir) will be told through flash backs (err flash-forwards), or will we eventually catch up, leaving us with one clear narrative?




Blackwood says...


One of you marked yours as a review but it is clearly not a review. It should be fixed.



Laure says...


HighTop's review is a comment.



Blackwood says...


So it was you Laure? Haha.




i am neither a loose leaf nor do i like loose leafs. really, i am a piece of wide-ruled looseleaf paper
— looseleaf