16+ Language Violence

deleted

by fight4whatisright

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and violence.

...

Aley wrote a review...

I really like this change in the story. I feel like she's finally coming around to the senses of someone who is in one of these novels, skipping out on school, running away from the creepy guy who she stabbed, ignoring family ties when the family ignores her, it feels like that's where she would end up going.

To start with, I think there is a bit of a disconnect between chapter 9 and chapter 10. The reason I say this is because last I understood, she was running away and freaking out, but here she is curled up at home somehow. When did she get home? How did she get by her sister and the creep?

I'm not saying you have to follow her every step of the way, but at least having some transition between running through the woods and getting home would be nice. If this were a novel in print, I'd have turned back a page to see if I missed something. As it was, I sort of wondered, if I'd reviewed the last one or not, so I had to check. I don't remember there being that big of a jump between chapters 8 and 9, but that could be because of how it ended.

Overall I think the chapter is pretty good. I don't really like that you incorporated the mirror and the message on it for the first time here [that I've seen] I feel like she should have written that down sometime in the first few chapters and then stuck it in her mirror to forget about it for more than just the start to end of a chapter.

Also I'm surprised at how distant the two sisters are. I didn't hear about her at all in school in the 8th chapter, and in the 9th when she was around, I wasn't sure who she was, but now I know she's the twin sister? It's a little boggling because I'd think they would be closer, or that her sister would be confident enough to go to the US alone, or even just do something on the internet like try to contact their father she thinks is out there. It seems like a crazy idea to go jumping across the world with a killer, especially with someone as quiet and rational seeming as Isabelle, but I could be reading her character wrong. Either way I feel like Isabelle's reaction is a little forced considering the circumstances, and she shouldn't feel so in control. Something is up with her that allows her to be so demanding that she would ignore justice for their mother, and her own fear of self preservation. She goes from not being able to stab this guy herself, to wanting to own his butt to help find her father. It's a strange twist in attitude.

Overall, I liked the chapter. I think this is going somewhere better because we're seeing Alexis stand up for herself and take action how she wants to instead of blindly walking around expecting things to work out, or expecting her mother to come home. I'm a bit disappointed she didn't get to call the cops about her mother, and that she ended up stabbing Russel but at the same time, I think something needed to happen. She needed that fight or flight response and in this case she fought.

Laure wrote a review...

O_O *mind-blown* This review will probably be different to my previous ones, partially because I can't find any major mistakes and because I really liked it, and partially because I'm floating somewhere in heaven right now. So anyways, let's get on with the review!

“Yeah?” he said, sarcastic from skepticism. “Then where did you get ‘em?”

I'm not sure what you mean by sarcastic from scepticism, is he sarcastically sceptical? Or, I'm not quite sure.

Leaning my elbows against the window sill and holding my head in my hands, I sucked in a few deep breaths and tried not to cry, tried to stop fond memories of us playing in my mind, tried to stop myself thinking I could’ve stopped this. It’s my fault, I should’ve protected her.

The wind rustling the leaves of the gum trees soothed me like wind chimes. A kookaburra began laughing at me and I laughed with it. I was free now. I didn’t quite know what that meant or what it would entail, but I knew I was free; free of the fear for my mother that was now grief. Free of Russell. I didn’t have to watch him abuse her anymore. I didn’t have to listen to them bitch about me. I didn’t know where I could go, but I knew I couldn’t go home, and that was fine, because I was free.

So like I said, you were pretty good with this chapter, I found almost close to no problems with the logical side of it except here. Well, is more of a matter of once again considering and comparing your character's emotions and reactions against a certain scene. What I thought here was the transition between Alexis blaming herself and then freedom was a bit too quick. I mean, it makes sense that she was free but I would still like the guilt slowly blurring into freedom. Like imagining shades of dark green that slowly fades to spring green, is like that. However, to me, it seems a bit too quick like switching from dark green and then to spring green.

Alexis’
The apostrophe should be between the 'i' and the 's' since it indicates possession.

Summary: You know strangely enough, for all Isabelle has done, I still feel pity for her. Which is saying you did a pretty good job with her character development there. So, I feel this is one of your best chapters, the descriptions were good and vivid and the word choices were precise and well-chosen. There was indeed plenty of action in here but they all connect with each other nicely, you are actually very good at creating tension and action scenes when they are well-written with the correct words and the appropriate phrasing. I like how in this chapter you have finally let Alexis break free of the phrase of constantly questioning herself and actually come to a decision, even though the bit about their real dad was a bit sudden but Isabelle’s explanation gave it a good back-up. I also liked the scene with Russell, it was long overdue though Alexis’s reaction to it was a bit cold-hearted but then judging by the way he treats her I guess is only natural. Well, that's it for chapter ten! I will get onto chapter eleven soon!

~Laure

Sat May 03, 2014 7:47 am
Laure says...

Hey, I will review this later, just to say. This is my favorite chapter by far, your writing had gone up a few notches. :)

You must believe in free will; there is no choice.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer