16+

Murder By Midnight

by Renard

On a killing spree

In her mind.

Happens all the time

Happens all the time

Carving bloody knives

With her eyes.

Happens in the night

Happens in the night

Lacerated skin shells

Litter her hallway.

Happens in the day

Happens in the day

Bodily juice

Taints her drinks.

Happens in the brink

Happens in the brink

Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:35 am
Iggy wrote a review...

Hi BiSF :)

Hmmm. Well I'm normally not a big fan of either repetition or rhyme schemes, but you did nicely with both of these.

I think the only thing I didn't like was the method of the repetition being about day or night and then the brink part comes out of nowhere for the sole purpose of rhyming with "drinks". I didn't like that. I felt like we had a nice pattern going here and it was ruined by that.

But other than that, this was really good. ^^ I liked the image you gave us, of a girl that's scary and personifies "if looks could kill" and so on. The imagery in this was simple and enjoyable; I do think it could have been expanded on, though. Like when you say "carving bloody knives with her eyes" -- describe to me her gaze. What's it like? How does she sharpen knives with her eyes? What does that even mean?

Overall, this was good. I enjoyed it and how simple yet awesome it was. I feel like the chick described in this is a total heartbreaker and not someone to mess with. xD Nicely written! Well done~

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:45 am
dianneece wrote a review...

Hi!
Let me begin by saying that this is indeed very scary. But it's a good kind of poetic scary.
I love that you start this off with the line "One a killing spree" because it establishes the mood and gets the reader right into the middle of this action. But I also love that you followed it up with "In her mind." because it sort of takes that initial shock back to a calm state, until you realize that something is fundamentally wrong with this girl.
I like the repetition, although I think instead of two repeated lines, you should use three. (It creates a stronger mood and sort of gives off the impression of a manic speaker who can barely control his/herself.)
I'm not sure about the line "Carving bloody knives/with her eyes" because it sounds like this person is carving up the knives with her eyes. I think it should be written "Carving bloody eyes/With her knives" to make more sense.
My favorite lines are "Lacerated skin shells/Litter her hallway" and I don't think you should change those lines at all.
"Bodily juice/Taints her drinks" doesn't do what I think it's supposed to do for me. I get that it might just barely disgust me, but it should also make me taste the blood that the girl feels in her mouth. I think what's throwing me off there is the word "juice" because it doesn't go well with the lexicon of the whole poem.
Another note on the repetition: the three repetitions before "Happens in the brink" all have to do with time, but "brink" is more of a place. It doesn't exactly match and I'm not sure if you meant to do that, but I think you should change it. (Unless that is what you wanted to do, in that case, keep it.) But if you didn't, I would suggest changing it to something with a more solid sounding word at the end. I also think that by changing that, you'll get a much more complete sounding conclusion to the poem.
Overall, it's a great scary poem. I commend you for capturing that terror without being too gory.
Sincerely,
Dianne E.C.E.

AryanaJade says...

that is kind of scarry

*scary

AryanaJade says...

sorry that was a typo

Renard says...

Formatting. CBA. Please don't comment on it. :P

Deal with the faults of others as gently as with your own.
— Chinese proverb