18+ Language Mature Content

I Murdered My Wife; Oh F@ck

by Renard

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and mature content.

After the shocking, abstract performance of ‘The Bear and the Shithead’ Monium Shakesbeare is back with his new; minimalist production: ‘I murdered my wife; oh fuck.’

The curtain rises to reveal George [Shakesbeare], our principal character. A middle aged, male chauvinist office worker trapped in an inharmonious marriage. Introducing Jenny BearCaprio as his wife ‘Jill’ unleashes a textbook case of marital dysfunction regarding the delegation of domestic chores.

Another set of controversy is let loose in the production, with Shakesbeare’s portrayal of the fairer sex stepping back in time; ensuring women know their place in the home.

‘You can’t get the staff nowadays.’ [George on his wife’s role]

More than the gender roles of men and women in a modern society, this black comedy goes as dark as you can get, coupled with heavy irony and a reliance on strong interpersonal characterisation.

Laden with numerous monologues, giving the audience an insight into the psyche of the murderer himself, George speaks freely about how ‘The dead do shit themselves when they die.’ Making the audience recoil and roar with laughter at the same time, upon realising his acute observations – which is what Shakesbeare’s performances rely heavily on: wit from sight.

A shining cameo performance from Mark LeBear as the unsuspecting neighbour, Mr Sutherland, who stumbles upon George’s wife’s body before being unfortunately murdered himself. Whilst the premise here may seem a bit lifeless, there is certainly something to be said for the blunt irreverence for the sanctity of life this play provides.

By the end of the performance, the audience can be certain of Shakesbeare’s philosophy: ‘Suburban life is boring.’ Perhaps a little marital murder can make it more interesting.

Iggy wrote a review...

Hey doll! Bumping the rating to 18+ for language. <3

Okay, so I'm loving the random things you can cook up x) I'm not really sure how to critique this, if at all. This seems clean of grammar errors for the most part.

I do believe you achieved your overall goal with this, which was to be humorous and silly. This was funny! A bit confusing, because I'm like "Wait, his name is Shakespeare!" but then I reread the beginning and it made a bit more sense.

Overall, I found this to be more satire than serious, and that's always a nice change to see in an essay. I think you did an really good job with this. :)

Thank you.

Oops. What did I put the rating is? -hides- Sowwy. I will double check in future. :)

Thank you.

Iggy says...

It was 16 but normally, if the work has the f-bomb or s**t, we bump the rating to 18 . Most people ignore rating, but we still enforce them to be safe, ;)

MasterGrieves wrote a review...

I am not entirely sure as to why this hasn't got any reviews yet- I imagine it's because of the clogging up of spam works. Nonetheless, here is a belated review which I should have written ages ago if I wasn't such a lazy whatsit.

So I am personally aligned with this play, as with the previous production, The Bear and The Sh!thead. I was not sure Monium would be able to follow up this modern masterpiece with another. Well, he has, but they are masterpieces in different ways. Whilst the first play delved into the recesses of modern capitalism, this one details the gradual psychological breakdown of a man at work, a normal office worker, so devoted to his job that he has no regard for his wife (who, as the title suggests, is now dead). However, despite the death being an accident, this bear takes full responsibility, going so far as claiming he murdered his wife with his incompetence and neglect.

Your review is mighty fine; it is such an intellectual and analytical piece of journalism that you are bound to have a career in said profession. There are certain parts where you hit the nail right on the head, such as this:

Now this interpretation of the work is unique. In all my years as a critic on theatre, centred on the pawformances of bears, this is the first original outlook on a work by a bear in a long long time. Also, you take the audience into consideration, which is always important in critiquing live performances.

Your closing statement is clever and funny. I had a nice chuckle :)

Again, why this hasn't been reviewed already is beyond me. I recommend highly that everyone read this work, and note the brilliance of Monium Shakesbeare.

A memorandum isn't written to inform the receiver, but to protect the writer.
— Dean Acheson