My Brother

by Sunshine1113

My dearest younger brother,

Today you turn 14,

This year you graduate eighth grade,

Soon you'll be in high school,

In a few short years you'll move out,

In a few years after that you'll probably be a professional gamer or musician,

After that you'll grow old with the woman you love and watch your children grow up,

But no matter how old you grow,

No matter what you do,

There's a special place in my heart

That's just for you,

I'll love you no matter what,

No matter how far or close,

No matter how young or old,

I will always love you.

Happy birthday little bro.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:43 pm
BeTheChange wrote a review...

In the last line, I think there should be a comma after 'birthday'. I know that's not a major criticism, but I still feel kind of bad about pointing it out, since this poem was so. Very. Meaningful.

Seriously. I don't like saying even small negative things on heartfelt poems like this.

Besides the comma thing, I thought some of the middle lines were a bit too long, considering the shorter lines in the rest of the poem.

What I liked: Well, literally everything else. Lol.

Harker wrote a review...

Hi there, Sunshine1113!

I hope you don't mind being my guinea pig. I'm trying out a new poetry review format, so there may be a few repetitive/confusing bits in here. I'll try my best to keep it straight. ;)

Introduction:

Well, first of all, let me just say that, yeah, your poem is pretty, but it's more than that. Your poem is genuine. More than anything, the reader really just wants the words to be heartfelt--and that's what you manage to accomplish here.

Formatting and Punctuation:

On formatting, you're mostly fine. The lengths of your lines are mostly consistent, which not only makes the poem easy to break up and say, but also makes it LOOK good. That's always important.
However, in the center of your poem, there are two lines that are much longer than the others:

and

Both of these lines feel a little bit... out of place. And I think I know why. Your whole poem speaks about events in mostly general terms, and that gives us, as readers, a nice view of your relationship with your brother. But these two lines seem to be trying to encapsulate your brother's entire life, which is not only near impossible, but the examples are a bit too specific. Yes, adding details like what your brother is probably going to be when he grows up (awesome... I want to be a professional gamer ;)) are great details, but they don't fit with the rest of the poem. Try a more general sentence.

Flow:

At first I wrote a whole thing about how you could make the poem flow better, with odd line breaks and all sorts of crazy stuff, but you know what? One of the reasons that this poem is so genuine is because of how choppy it can be one second and how smooth it can be the next. In real life, your feelings aren't a perfect monologue. However, I would advise adding more punctuation--this poem can be read in multiple different ways, which is fine--but I feel like it could be a bit more structured and make the poem easier to read.

One other thing, on that note. The poem is essentially one or two long sentences. This gives us the feel of how quickly life goes, but it also--unfortunately--can make the piece a bit difficult to understand. Nothing that can't be fixed, though... I'd suggest just adding a couple more periods! :D

Vocabulary:

You know, one of my favorite exercises when I'm writing poetry, especially when my poems are this heartfelt--like yours--is to go through and find three instances where I can elevate my language. Sometimes, no matter how many beautiful remarks we make, it still pays to add some more adjectives. ;) Just a thought.

Grammar:

Almost perfect! Obviously, poetry is a subjective thing. It doesn't need to conform to society's standards for prose, etc. But I think that sometimes, just to make work a little more succinct, you may want to consider checking over for punctuation. I'm not sure if this was a deliberate decision (and, if it was, I fully support you), but you're missing a comma or two, including one in your last line:

Happy birthday little bro

It should be, "Happy birthday, little bro." Anyway, just a thought! :)

Style:

I think I've said it all already! :D Your sincereness (yep, that's a word... I didn't think so, either! :D) is obvious from the start, and I really admire that in a poet.

Other:

Your writings beautiful. The only two thing's I'd suggest would be to elevate your language and possibly shorten/remove some of the awkward phrasing mentioned before.

IronSpark

Eros wrote a review...

Hi sunshine1113!!!!!

Its Eros here!!!!!

Wow!!!!It was really a great poem.It expressed all your love for your little brother in such a sweet manner.I read so many poems till now,but i found a depth in this one. You have got a beautiful talent. And you are using it so beautifully.

You have written this poem for your brotjer on his birthday. It will be the most wonderful and unique gift to your bither.

You have got an art of writing such nice and lovely poetry.I really loved it. You think of the beautiful future of your brother and express it it in the form of a lovely poem.

Bestof luck!
Continue writing.....
We all love to read your stuff

:~Eros

Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:55 am
Ciblio wrote a review...

Your work is amazing. :)

Purple wrote a review...

Hey there! Purple here to give you a review! Let's get started.
This is a pretty nice poem except for a few little nitpicks. Actually instead of a poem I would but this under 'Other' since there's really no imagery, metaphor, or persuasive/narrative main theme.
The big problem I have with this is your punctuation which seems to be a common issue on this site. If you're going to use punctuation, it might as well be done correctly :P
When having one complete thought, that would be it's own sentence. All the lines are capitalized even though you used a comma for every line except for the last two. By that I would assume you were intending making sentences but you still wanted it to "flow", right? Well flow is just kind of another word for rhythm or beat that the poem has behind it. I would format it like this (and you can change this but you get the idea)

"My dearest younger brother,

today you turn 14.

This year you graduate eighth grade,

then you'll be in high school.

A few short years later, you'll move out.

And after that you'll probably be a professional gamer or musician.

Then you'll grow old with the woman you love and watch your children grow up.

But no matter how old you grow,

no matter what you do,

there's a special place in my heart

that's just for you.

I'll love you no matter what;

No matter how far or close,

No matter how young or old,

I will always love you.

Happy birthday little bro."

I hope this was helpful. Have a nice night
~Purple

GreenTulip wrote a review...

Hi, Tulip here to give you a review on this poem that is written for your brother.

I found this poem rather sweet, and I found that I can connect to parts because I am both a younger and older sister to two brothers. I know that even my younger brother will never be able to do the things that are listed in this poem, I am glad to see that you have a brother that will be able to.

I liked the format, but I feel like the emotional impact that you may be trying to gain will benefit with stanzas. These will give the parts with the same amount of emotion a strong sense of it, and I feel like it will be shown to have a strong impact on your brother if he has not already read this.

I have nothing negative to share with you about this poem, but I can give you some of my favorite parts of it.

This year you graduate eighth grade,

Soon you'll be in high school,

In a few short years you'll move out,

After that you'll grow old with the woman you love and watch your children grow up,(Should be a period in my mind.)

Sunshine1113 says...

Thanks for the review :) his bday was a few weeks ago and he read it already. I somehow made him feel guilty because he couldn't do anything to top that. lol hes a good kid :)

I'll actually turning 100 soon
— Ari11