Happiness...

by Zontafer

I had a little contest with Wolfare1 and queerelves, so this was something I made in literary 5 minutes. I don't know anything about poems or such, but destroy it if you want! ^^

H appiness is when

A couple loves each other

P eople laugh together

P ain is nonexistent

I deas are turned into success

N o one can harm you or your loved ones

E veryone lives in peace

S unny days are here

S omething amazing happens

CarolineB17 wrote a review...

Although, I believe that the happiness in which you speak is completely unrealistic and such, I believe that that the fact that you did this in 5 minutes, and have no prior experience in writing poetry, it's pretty darn good! So congrats to you, you just wrote a poem!

I also have to say, that I totally do wish that happiness like this existed cause it would be freakin AWESOME!!!

I'll have to check out some more of your work, and well good luck with the whole contest thing.

Good luck writing, and I look forward to reading some more of your stuff!!

Zontafer says...

Thanks for your review and your kind words! ^^

- Zontafer

Tue May 27, 2014 11:04 am
Moalex wrote a review...

Hey I'm new to the community and this is my first time reviewing so please don't hate on me.

For an Acrostic Poem I find this very heart warming. Everybody desires happiness but it's also filled with contradictory; deceit. I understand the point is to describe how people feel when they're happy and this was also made in 5 minutes. However, "Everyone lives in peace" is a false reality. "No one can harm you or your loved ones", and "Ideas are turned into success" are also false reality.

Other than that great job on the poem, it really describes how one feels when they're happy.

Zontafer says...

Thanks for the review, and welcome to YWS!
I'm just wondering how you find 'Happiness is when... Ideas are turned into success' as a false reality? I mean, you get happy if you accomplish something.
Thanks again! ^^

- Zontafer

Moalex says...

I think I may have misunderstood the "ideas are turned into success". I was thinking of the success rate of entrepreneur's when I read this. So I was thinking of something like 'when' your ideas are successful or something like that.

Zontafer says...

Ahh, okay! ^^

Mon May 26, 2014 1:02 am
Em101cats wrote a review...

Em101cats has officially arrived to review! Hi there, Zontafer! Did you miss me this weekend? I was camping.

Yay! I love acrostic poems! I don't think YWS has very many acrostics. I think it needs more.

I'll break this into lines.

H appiness is when

Oh, oh, oh, happiness is when?! I love this line. If you break it down into lines it has a low but detectable amount of suspense, and it's perfect for this poem.

A couple loves each other

I love this line. It adds the perfect amount of romance without going off of the topic too much and getting mushy-gushy-lovesick!

P eople laugh together

So true. So true! People laughing is the perfect way to describe happiness. Great thinking.

P ain is nonexistent

Now this would be the life :) !! Who doesn't want a world with no pain? This line is really a good line to me, a Christian, because it reminds me of heaven - nonexistent pain. Also, I love the use of the word nonexistent. Way to make room for big words while also keeping the poem simple!

I deas are turned into success

I love this line. My ideas don't always come out the way I had hoped, and then I feel the opposite of happy. I sometimes even get so mad I hate myself for a minute or two. The description of happiness must include this to be complete, because I do feel happy when my ideas work well.

N o one can harm you or your loved ones

This simply blew me away. When someone I know and love is hurt, I do everything I can to help them - and this sometimes gets me hurt in the process. When nobody could hurt anybody else, worries and stress would fade away. You can tell me you worry about other things, but every worry can be tracked back to someone being hurt. This line is so true and it just touched me deeply.

E veryone lives in peace

Man, if I could list the ways our world lacks peace, I would be listing until the day I die. This line should get to everyone's minds. If only I could let everyone in the whole world hear this line. It can't be more needed in our societies.

S unny days are here

We have plenty of sunny days, but every single one makes me smile no matter how common they are. This line is definitely a perfect fit for a description of happiness!

S omething amazing happens

This line is perfect. PERFECT! When something amazing happens, I get happy, others get happy, and for a while, everyone in the whole world seems to be happy for one moment. Amazing things are way too lacked. Please tell as many people as possible, anyone reading this, that amazing moments need to be expressed more, and that they should become more common.

Whew! Okay, Zontafer, that wraps up my review. See you soon! Keep up the fantastic writing!
~Em101cats~

Zontafer says...

Wow, thank you for the review and the kind words! ^^
Camping? :o Sounds fun!
I'm glad you liked it! ;)

- Zontafer

Em101cats says...

:)

Percybeth wrote a review...

Zontafer,

This is really neat! I really like how you wrote 'happiness' down the side. It gives me a nostalgic feeling from when I was a little kid, in school writing a poem to my name. I think my favourite line is the 'I'. Cause it really does feel like you can do anything when you are at your happiest.

My only dislike is the last sentence, I know this is totally from a contest and you were thinking fast and whatnot. It just seems too basic for the ending of a poem. That's my opinion though!

Keep expressing!

-Percybeth

Zontafer says...

Thanks for the review! ^^

- Zontafer

AdmiralKat wrote a review...

I may say that Wolf beat you at this contest. I love this poem and how it brings out the theme really well. I think this is true happiness. The word existent is misspelled(located in at the second p). The last sentence is phrased weirdly. I feel as if it is missing something. It should say something like this: "something good happens {there}." I love the idea that you have there. If you were in another competition, see what I wrote for wolf's poem(my review for her poem) and the technique I state is short and sweet. Hope this helps.

Zontafer says...

Haha, thanks for the review Katya! ^^

- Zontafer

Willard wrote a review...

Hola Zontafer, Strange here and I have a review for you on this fabulous Review Day.
I noticed you published this once the official review day started, and overall that's not a fair technique. As Review Day is for reviewing. As for my review,
I enjoyed this poem. It is simple and sweet. The scheme is nothing new, but it is enjoyable. This poem talks about happiness, and nothing is better than happiness right? The best part about it is simplicity, while it happens to be one of the cons. I understand you're new to poetry, and a thing about it is emotion and simplicity. If it is too simple, the final result turns out underwhelming. Too detailed, it ends up boring. You express emotion, but kind of in a bland, quick matter. A little more detail will help a lot.
As I told you in PM, I didn't mean to be snoddy. I was just pointing something out for future awareness. If for some reason I'm mistake, it's all my fault.
Overall, good poem.
Strange gives you...
7.1/10
Good job
Keep writing
Stay groovy, my amigo.

Zontafer says...

Thanks for the great review!
I am totally open for harsh critique, so I don't think you're being any harsh!
I'll try to remember what you said! ^^
Thanks again!

- Zontafer

cleverclogs wrote a review...

Hmmm, pretty good for a five-minute poem! :)

Something that struck me while I was reading this:

H appiness is when
A couple loves each other

I just think that this is not necessarily true. I mean, of course couples are happy when they love each other, but I can think of so many other things that bring happiness. Music, friends, pets, food, kindness, etc. The couple thing is true, but it struck me as rather cliche for an example of happiness.

Also, this line here:

P ain is non-existant

First of all, "nonexistent" is one word, and it's spelled with an "e" instead of an "a", but that's a minor thing. Again, not necessarily. You can have pain buried within and still be happy. For the theme of this poem, though, I understand what you're trying to say.

Overall, I like how cheerful it is. It could just use a bit of revising and some more poetic word choice, which I think you might have gotten if you'd spent more than five minutes on it. Nice job, and keep on writing! Cheers! :D

Zontafer says...

Hm, perhaps I'll try out something else at the second line!
Thanks again!

- Zontafer

Hannah wrote a review...

Oh, a nice acrostic! I think it's pretty solid, and I don't want to destroy it. Generally, I think of acrostics as poems you write in school just to practice a form, right? So for some reason I see them as getting homework done instead of writing poetry.

Let's see if we can't examine what you've done and see a future form in it that could be published.

The first thing I notice is that everything is stated very plainly. There are no signs of abstract poetic language like similes or metaphors. And while in some cases, that can be nice, too much of a good thing can also get boring, right?

I think the plainness works SO well for the first two lines. "Happiness is when/ A couple loves each other". I wonder if you couldn't flesh out this SINGLE idea over the course of the rest of the lines to make it more cohesive. One of the easy traps of the acrostic is just moving from idea to idea to whatever next idea fits the letter, dictated by the letter, so maybe working to have a theme throughout the whole poem would be helpful!

I also love the simplicity of the last line: "Something good happens". Haha, it seems kind of silly and stupid "Happiness is when/ Something good happens", but that simplicity is what opens it up to reality. It's often said that people's troubles are varied, but happiness all kind of looks the same. So when you give something as vague as "Something good happens", you open up just the GENERAL feeling of something nice, something good, without trying to alienate people with different ideas of happiness.

So my suggestion would be seeing if you can't work it all into one idea -- one narrative throughout the poetry. I, personally, would like to see some more abstract language to spice it up and bring in more imagery, too~

But, in any case, I hope these thoughts are helpful for you as you continue to learn and write!

PM me or reply to this review if you have any questions/comments.

Good luck and keep writing!

Hannah

Zontafer says...

Wow, I never thought of writing it all based on the second line, thanks for that one!
'...kind of silly and stupid...' Haha, that made me laugh. ^^

- Zontafer

Hannah says...

xDD Not in the YOU ARE STUPID way, of course. Just like "haha, of course".

You're welcome! :D

CesareBorgia wrote a review...

Hello, CesareBorgia here for a review.

Happy Review Day!

Wow, I've never seen an acrostic poem on YWS. I must savor this moment*takes deep breaths* I like this poem because it's unique and short. Here are the nitpicks.

P ain is non-existant

Nonexistant is one word. :wink:

N o one can harm you or your loved ones

Sorry to break it to you, but that's not true at all. Many couples have dead wives because they were harmed. Sure, you can protect them, but that doesn't mean they won't be harmed.

E veryone lives in peace

If this were the case, there would be no homeless people.

Sorry if I came across as harsh, but some of the things you mentioned weren't entirely true, even though I still liked this poem.

Best of luck in writing,
CesareBorgia,
signing out.

Zontafer says...

Thank you for the review!
I never really heard about acrostic poems until now, so I figured out I'd use it!
Thanks for the notes, I'll keep that in my mind when editing!

- Zontafer

Crimsona wrote a review...

Happy review day!

Awh this poem is so positive and lovely! Makes a change to about two thirds of the poems I read on here so it's really refreshing to read something about happiness.

'I deas are turned into success'

^ I especially like this line, it's actually pretty motivational - it's made me want to go and do some work towards my exams next week so thank you for that!

I'm not going to destroy this poem or tear it apart because that's pretty contradictory to the whole point of the poem, which is about happiness and laughter and all those lovely things. The only real criticism I have is I found the last line a bit weak and vague compared to the rest of the poem. I feel like the word 'good' seems a bit... mediocre? Perhaps 'wonderful' or 'amazing' or something a bit more upbeat might make the ending a bit more 'kapow'.

Overall, I really liked it and it made me smile and it's a pretty good poem considering you say that you don't know anything about poems!

Take care and keep writing,

Crim

Zontafer says...

Thanks a lot for the review! ^.^
Hm, I'll edit the last word, thanks for the advice!
Thanks again!

- Zontafer

Apricity wrote a review...

Heyo Zont, happy review day! Ah, so this is an acronym poem, very nice. I can't tear this apart because I'm not expert at poetry but I will tell you that even though this is a very cliche and sappy poem, xD. It still made me smile.

I will briefly comment on that all your ideas are very cliche. I'm sorry, but they are and given the timeframe in which you have to write this. I guess is understandable.

When a couple loves each other, that doesn't mean they are necessarily happy I think in this case, you should try for symbolism. Like a smile, or the way they simply seem to stare into each other's eyes with a faint smile on their lips.

People laugh together - care to elaborate?

Pain is non-existent- what sort of pain? You have to show us, just by saying pain is too vague to give off an impression, a world without pain wouldn't be happiness, it would just be boring. Do you mean pain as in heartbreak, pain as in the loss of a loved one or what?

Oh alright, I see now. But still, try and show us more.

Sunny days are here - My gods, show us, I know is an acronym poem and all and is a short time frame. Even something like silvers of sunlight on my cheek would have been nicer. But then I suppose, your pace won't allow it.

And that last line, very irresponsible. *tuts* Can't leave off a poem like that, and be all like, oh yeah happiness is when something good happens. An ending is very important because is the last thing the readers read so it will make a big impression. But that ending doesn't really tie up anything, in fact, none of your lines really connect is just like, sentences pasted on the page.

However, this is still a really cute poems and I am very sorry, for killing it. ^^

-S.s

Zontafer says...

Haha, thanks for you review! ^^
Perhaps I'll edit this again when my mind is clear.
Thanks again for all your great advices! ^^

- Zontafer

ElectraHeart wrote a review...

Hello, here to review!
Happy review day!
Okay so I really like this. First, I would love to see some punctuation in this, I think it would make it flow nicer and more easily. I like the view you are giving on happiness though, because it is so true and kind of makes you happy when you read it. Last little nitpick and then I’ll be done. Okay, so you know how you have a space between “H” and the rest of happiness? That bothers me a bit. It makes me stutter and stop while reading this, and if you put it together it would also make the poem flow better.
Keep writing,
Sarai

Zontafer says...

Thanks for the review and your kind words!
Haha, I never write poems and I'm not sure if you should have a space between the capitals or not. >_>
Thanks again!

- Zontafer

ElectraHeart says...

No problem, happy to help!

i am neither a loose leaf nor do i like loose leafs. really, i am a piece of wide-ruled looseleaf paper
— looseleaf