12+

Fire's Alive

by gia2505

Hi there. This is the start to the first story I've written for here. I'm only just starting to write so the feedback is much appreciated.

"Daddy? Daddy no! Don't leave me!" "J, J, you zoned out again" My name is Jackie Ransy, or J for short. At 16, I have no one but my pathetic excuse for a mother. "Sorry, mum" "You were thinking about him again, weren't you." I know she's asking a question but sometimes it's so hard to tell. Her voice has no life; she has no life left in her... every word sounds dull and meaningless. "Daddy..." I shake my head to clear the images from my mind. It doesn't work. "No I was just thinking..." I quickly dart out of the room before I'm fired with psychology 101. I know Mum means well but sometime's it's just too hard.... I live with my Mum in the most rundown house you'll ever see. With its rusty tin roof and walls with peeling paint. Yes, it's a dump but it's home. My dad, he died when I was 10. Well actually it wasn't as much died as it was murdered. Every detail of that day has been etched into my brain and refuses to leave. Once he died my Mum went into a kind of shock and depression followed. Everyday it's: get up, make Mum breakfast, sit there and watch her to make sure she actually eats it and that she doesn't try to kill herself with the cutlery, clean, work, make Mum lunch, sit there and watch her... well you get the picture. She's like a toddler, I can't trust her to be alone for one second. For six years I've flushed my happiness and child hood down the toilet for her. I mean what was I supposed to do anyway? She hasn't left her room in six years, as if he is going to burst through their bedroom door at any moment like he never left... I cook, I clean, I pay the bills, earn the money; everything. For once I want to be like the other kids; I want to be normal.

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:23 am

Well, this is one of the more unique situations I've managed to run across, its unique enough that I believe this is probably something that wouldn't be allowed to happen in real life unless the circumstances were truly extreme here. At any rate, this certainly catches your attention quite well here as the start of a story.

Anyway moving past how realistic this could be, well, we find our protagonist in a pretty bad situation there...definitely not something that you ever want to find yourself in at ten years old..,so well, we definitely sympathize with this person right off the bat even as it is quite hard to imagine how hard having to do all of this could be.

We also get a good sense of the general backstory here to start off with, we know in pretty decent detail the leaving of this father and the devastating effects its had on the mother with a decent sense of the timeline in which everything happened and that is quite helpful to determine sort of just how much this person has been through here.

The plea there at the end where they seem to almost beg for a chance just to lead a normal life really cements the whole premise here, and that's a good point to end off the start to a story here. It seems like the sort of thing I may read here. :D

ArcticMonkey wrote a review...

Hello, gia!

As one of your first pieces of writing, I thought this was really good. You use really emotive language which makes me feel really sorry for this character in such a short amount of lines. Also, the description of what happened to the dad is really scary, but brings up lots of emotions, which is great!

Here are my suggestions:
-PARAGRAPHS. This is really important, and right now you don't have any. Generally, you can start a new paragraph when you're writing about a new place, or time. If you want more help on that I found this article here which should help with that. Also, remember when a new character is speaking, you need to put their line of dialogue onto a new line. For example this:

"Daddy? Daddy no! Don't leave me!" "J, J, you zoned out again" My name is Jackie Ransy, or J for short.

should be like this:
"Daddy? Daddy no! Don't leave me!"
"J, J, you zoned out again" (perhaps write who says this line here?)My name is Jackie Ransy, or J for short.

-Lastly, I agree with Lemisa in that this piece seems very rushed. As it's already quite short, don't feel scared to expand on things, such as descriptions.
rundown house

How is it a rundown house? You start to describe it a bit, but I think you can go into more detail. Let me know if you need help with descriptions and stuff :).

Overall, this is good! I hope this review helped, feel free to PM me with any questions or if you want any help with anything.

Keep writing,
~ArcticMonkey x

Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:47 pm
LemisaLeaZeor wrote a review...

Honestly, I feel sorry for J. Good use in punctuation and vocabulary. I'm not just saying that, it's better than mine. Even if it was just the first part ,it was really effective how you used the characters emotions and described the back story of the main character. It makes me want to cry, honestly. It's sad, yet it's a good piece of writing.
Though I've got to say you could describe some parts a bit more, or made the chapter longer, as it seems rushed and would be even better if you could extend it. Go a bit slower. I'm exactly like that as well, I rush through things too quickly and its hard to understand as everything has gone too quickly . Though yours is better than what I've done.
Keep up the good writing.
From LLV. ^_^

gia2505 says...

Thanks so much :D
I'll keep working on it.

Stupidity's the deliberate cultivation of ignorance.
— William Gaddis