12+

Nothing.

by Willard

Based on a true story. Written and published four hours after it happened. Names are changed for identity reasons.

The last thing I saw was her on the ground, her friends yelling "Breathe!". After that, I subliminally went six feet under. Something bad always happens when I want it to. I never knew it would be this bad, where she could die, no parental figure aware of this mess. You may consider me a horrible person for saying this, but I have no empathy. I don't see why I should show emotion for this person.

What if she dies? Would I feel any empathy or sadness in my cold heart? No, I wouldn't. She's one of those people who treat you like crap, was part of the group which you despise, and you utterly dislike. I don't want her to die, because the burden of all this will be laid down on my shoulders. There is an unreal factor in all of this. Why the hell was I here?

I guess this whole "adventure" starts at school. I'm part of the intelligent group, who have this weird sense of humor and enthusiasm. We went to tutoring so we can see the final Volleyball game of the season. Our tutoring was just us at Math 1, fooling around saying why a xylophone is relevant to the Holocaust. We're doing this ABC book on the Holocaust for Advanced English, and we needed a word for the letter X.

Once the bell rang, it was off to the Gym. Usually Volleyball games are filled with kids yelling obscenities at each other and having fun with no regrets. Only if they saw what the future will be like. The first game, the 7th graders, was just us bothering other people. There is this girl who is a total snob. We've had a long history of arguments, stares, and me literally grossing her out by saying how dirty water is the cleanest water.

She came begging my friend, A, for a dollar. She was yelling in her awkward posture that implies "I'm better than everyone but I'm obviously lying to myself." I intervene, saying "Well, how about you just simply leave us alone?" Her response was vivid, filled with profanities and mean words.

It ended with "Did you even make the Talent Show?" Quick side note, I'm in the Talent Show as a dry stand up comic. I didn't have to be put into a grading cycle, where you have to wait three weeks to get a yes. The principle simply told me I automatically made it because I'm the only comedian. When I told her that, she snarls and tosses her head back. "Well, I'm in it." My response wasn't, let's just say, the nicest.

"Stop lying to yourself," I said. Her face was absolutely priceless. She had an angry face and walked off. While the recklessness was rising, the 7th grade team was in a fierce game. They barely won the first game, and got their butts handed to in the second. The third game went on, and as the game was tied at 10, they continued to score five straight points to become the victors. This is getting boring by the second, so we decided to go.

There was four of us heading to the local park on Slaughterhouse Lane. My two friends, A and E, were fighting due to them trying to get a girl, the same girl actually. I, of course, am not a big fan of relationships at this age. My other friend, AZ, was listening to music and not caring. The argument was apparently a carry on of a previous fight they had. It may have been a four minute walk, but it seemed longer.

When we got to Slaughterhouse Park, as I call it, we simply attacked each other with snow. There was a good two inches in the field. It was a simple twenty minute way. I got a mass amount of snow in my ear, for some reason. While at the pinnacle of the fight, it went more downhill than Charlie Sheen.

There comes the Swexicans, the Swag Mexicans as most call them. In the middle is the subject, let's call her ER. There was about forty people throwing muddy snow at each other on the street. You can see how they want to stay young forever, but one isn't simply immortal. They of course learn that later on, they will have consequences over ridiculous things.

We made it a mission to make it back to the school. While walking, they move to Slaughterhouse. About 20 guys were there, all carrying melting snow. I've never got along with this group, and I never will. It was an awkward walk, with them staring at us thinking we will ambush them. All of a sudden, they start running.

With no idea what is going on, we continued to walk. The group mimics three punches, with an awkward swinging motion. We knew something went down, but it wasn't just that. I take a look at ER. She is surrounded by three girls, screaming at the top of their lungs. There is P, who is clueless to everything that goes on; An, who doesn't like me for some odd reason; And C, who is her good friend. They are supporting her, all of them with tears in their eyes.

ER has no color in her face. I died inside, because this was the first time I've seen someone really suffer. I had a feeling she looked at me, in her uncontrollable state. The more this goes down hill, the more I collapse inside. It was a three second eye to eye look, then I left. I couldn't stand to see someone like this. Someone who often made fun of me, who teased me, and criticized me for thinking differently. I don't want this to happen.

We continued to walk, with members of the group talking to us. Apparently there was this big fight, but it was really one sided. I'm slowly deteriorating from the inside. My friends are saying it was because they smoked too much, but that wasn't the case. Their youth went downhill in one second. I knew this was her cry for help. Too bad I know I couldn't.

It was a long ten minute wait at the school. It was us talking, saying how freak this is. What will the aftermath be? We had no reason to lie, because we did nothing wrong. We ended up going back to the Holocaust book, and forgetting about it.

Today I saw something I never seen before. Someone truly suffering for their life. I also learn that karma is real, in a harsh way. There is another downside to this. As I'm writing this, on the day it happened, the outcome is still undecided. Sometimes I simply hate my life.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:42 am
PeanutPhoebe wrote a review...

PeanutPhoebe, here to review. So, honestly, this really went with your name, it kinda is pretty strange. First of all, this is very confusing. Throughout most of it I had no idea what was going on and had to read sentences two or three times. I'll credit that to the fact that this was written so quickly and shortly after the event. Another thing: In the entire story, your verbs switch tenses (past to present, and vice versa) almost every other sentence, which is very confusing. You did have strong action verbs, though! :) I'd really like to know what happened myself, you pull readers in very easily with mystery and suspense almost. Great job, and keep writing!

Magenta wrote a review...

Hello Strange! This is Magenta here to write you a quick review on this great YWS day. Goodness, based on a true story and only four hours later. This is practically what went inside of your head during this experience. A terrible experience, it seems. Anyway, I have some comments to make on this piece, it is a review. ;)

"The last thing I saw was her on the ground, her friends yelling "Breathe!"." Okay, the first thing that I would suggest you do would be to take out the period that you have at the end of the sentence. I don't think that you need it because you have the exclamation point at the end of the dialogue. I think that this is a good beginning because it draws some curiosity. The real life situation on the other hand doesn't sound too good. I wonder what will happen?

"I'm part of the intelligent group, who have this weird sense of humor and enthusiasm." I don't think that a comma is necessary in the middle of the sentence because you are neither listing or in need of a pause. It's only something small that you can fix.

"We went to tutoring so we can see the final Volleyball game of the season." The way that you worded this first part "went to tutoring" sounds a bit odd. It might just be me, who knows? Also, you don't have to capitalize the word,"volleyball". There isn't a need because it is the sport, not a team or anything.

"Once the bell rang, it was off to the Gym. Usually Volleyball games are filled with kids yelling obscenities at each other and having fun with no regrets."
Again, I don't see a need to capitalize the words "gym" and "volleyball". Make sure that you put a comma after "usually", as well.

"She came begging my friend, A, for a dollar." Is "A" the alias for your friend? I was just wondering.

Other than these few things, I think that this was well-written and had a lot of your emotions twined within it. I hope that you don't feel entirely like this.., Keep on writing, however, because you've great skills in writing.

~ Magenta

Willard says...

I just used the initials from their first names

Magenta says...

Okay, thank you. I hope I helped a bit. have a great day! ;)

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:01 am
rhiasofia wrote a review...

Hey, Strange, Rhia here to review.

Just a few typos I noticed
Today I saw something I *have* never seen before
I also learn*ed* that karma is real

There were other things, a lot of statements that you made, then contradicted later in the story. It was very fuzzy and unclear what was going on throughout it. You did do a good job of capturing worry and emotion though.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:51 pm
birk wrote a review...

Hey Mandrake!

Alright, it's about time you did a short story again. I like your short stories, especially the dark ones full of morbid humor, which this short also contains bits of. Great!

However, I do have some issues with it though:

I have read through the piece a couple of times now, and I'm not sure I understand what happened.

From what I gather, you and your pals get into a snowball fight with a group of angry mexicans who then proceeds to do something to this girl you have a feud with. I say 'something', because I'm not sure exactly what happens to her. I guess they either attack her furiously with snowballs, or they dunk melting snow(?) on her? (As I'm writing this, the entire scenario portrayed here gets more and more ridiculous. I really hope I read this story wrong.)

Okay, moving on.

Well, you wrote that this is based on a true story. And reading through it, and writing the above paragraph, I am thoroughly confused. I'll get more into this later.

I'll go through it:

Names are changed for identity reasons.

Good, but why not actually change the names? As of now, you only use initials. It's distracting.

After that, I subliminally went six feet under.

What? This line is tricky. Do you mean that on a subconscious level, you are....dead? Because subliminal means, of course, subconscious. And six feet under, generally means dead and buried.

I don't see why I should show emotion for this person.

I'll quote something you say later in the story here: I'm slowly deteriorating from the inside.

because the burden of all this will be laid down on my shoulders.

Again, I'm really unsure of what actually went down. How would you get any blame in this? What did you do?

fooling around saying why a xylophone is relevant to the Holocaust.

Whoa, this could have ended pretty wrong. But the ending pulled the joke together. Actually turned out pretty funny.

Edit
If only they saw what the future would be like.

Suggestion
The first game, among the 7th graders, was just us bothering other people.

grossing her out by saying how dirty water is the cleanest water.

This doesn't make sense. Is she stupid?

Edit
and got their butts handed to them in the second.

This sentence still feels a bit off, anyway,

Edit
This was getting boring by the second, so we decided to go.
Throughout the entire piece, you jump back and forth between past and present tense. This is just one of many examples.

Out of all grammatical correctness, past/present tense is probably what I hate the most. Mainly because I can't get a complete grasp on it myself.

It was a simple twenty minute way.

This line is also confusing. Do you mean the snowball fight lasted twenty minutes?

There comes the Swexicans, the Swag Mexicans as most call them.

Hahaha, I love it! Can you please write a dictonary of words you make up? Including of course, Swexicans and SwaggyMcBroYolo!

There was about forty people throwing muddy snow at each other on the street.
Wait, forty people are suddenly on the street, fighting in a giant snowball/mudball fight? I think I need to raise my 'suspension of disbelief' flag here. What kind of winter wonderland do you live in?

Edit
They of course learnt that later on, that there will be consequences over ridiculous things.

About 20 guys were there, all carrying melting snow.

Again, this amount of people. And they carry melting snow?

The next part is really confusing. As I wrote earlier, I have trouble understanding what exactly happened.

Edit
It was us talking, saying how freaky this is.

Edit
I also learnt that karma is real,

You make this grammatical error twice.

All in all, it is really good that you can write about stuff like this. Lately, I find I'll try to write about anything, just for the sake of writing, and improving myself.

I still really like the way you write your stories, it has a certain charm to it. But this work could use a good proofread before you publish it. Though limited in what you could write, you still got some good humor into it, and use a varied vocabulary. You even mention karma, and I like karma.

Lastly, please elaborate to me about what actually went down. I got interested now. What happened to this poor girl? (or 3itchy girl, whatever way you look at it.)

Keep it up, mate!

Cheers
Birkhoff

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto (I am a man, I don't consider anything human foreign to me)
— Terence