The Little Candle

by EraBerry

A candle glows brightly in the dark. The wax is smooth and clean; beautiful and pleasant to the eye. The flame flickers mysteriously in the shadows of the night. People pass by the window where the candle stands and watch, mystified by the dancing fire. Others pass by and simply smile when they see it send waves of sparkling light through the glass. The candle shines on.

A candle glows brightly in the dark. Looking grand and new, it stands freshly lit in the window. A weeping man enters the room. He sits in his chair by the window and cries. His hair is unclean and his beard not kept. His face buried in his hands, he mumbles his troubles to himself. He takes a blade from his pocket to the pretty candle sitting on the sill. People pass by the window where the candle stands and walked by quickly, avoiding the eyes of the man with the silvery object shimmering in the candle light. Others pass by and watch as the man let out his rage. The candle shines on.

A candle glows brightly in the dark. Still tall and useful, but not wanted. With the knife of the angry master, some wax has been slashed and made rough and no longer beautiful. The man sits in his chair still mumbling his troubles. The door smashes in and two more men enter. The man in the chair stood and ran while the other two take him by his arms and drag him out of the room. People pass by the window where the candle stands and watch with horror as the man is taken away and out the door. Others pass and ignore the goings on.

A candle glows dim in the dark. The wax melting down the side to the tray on which it rests.

Bol wrote a review...

Wow. This story, it's a work of art surely. You should've made it a poem instead, the way you write though.
I like how the candle turns from something beautiful and handsome to a thing broken and used, and how it seems to almost mirror the strange man.
There's a kind of poetic beauty to this, something mystical and philosophical? I'm not sure, but whatever it is, it sends shivers up my spine. That last line, 'A candle glows dim in the dark. The wax melting down the side to the tray on which it rests', now that really gave me goosebumps.
One thing I suggest is making the man's situation more detailed, add a few more clues to his situation because I cannot really understand what he's going through. What I took from it was that a poor beggar had stolen something silver and probably expensive and goes to the candle's room to hide, where he takes out a knife to slash the candle? Then two people, the law probably, come to take him away to justice. Maybe that's what you wanted to convey, maybe not, but every writer should care not to let his story be too secretive and impossible to understand.
But still, a nice little story to read. Hope you keep on writing.

Apricity wrote a review...

Hello EraBerry, Subtle here for a review on review day! I truly liked what you have written here, it is very intriguing and managed to keep me reading the whole way through. I know that the candle is a metaphor for something deep, though I cannot fathom what it is. I guess perhaps I'm just too dim to get it, but I still think that this is a very lovely piece. Just one of those pieces where you don't completely understand it but still loves it I guess.

In this paragraph, you used he a lot of times. Perhaps you are empathizing something here but as I read it over several times. I found the use of he, really repetitive and disrupted the flow of this short story. So, maybe you could get rid of some of the 'he' and replaced or adjoin it with another sentence?

Other than that, everything else has already been pointed out to you by other reviewers. Overall, this is a really unique story, keep on writing!

-S.s

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:05 am
ConverseFireGirl wrote a review...

Hey there! Good work!
Right, so I'd suggest that you perhaps change:
"A candle glows dim in the dark."
To maybe:
"The candle glows dim in the dark."
As by ending it with a "The" makes it feel like it's over more, and we're met the candle. :P just a suggestion.
I can't see anything else that would need correcting that hasn't already been covered by the writer below me, so onto the fun stuff!

Great idea. Seriously. It was a very original idea and the thought of a candle just there, people seeing it and passing by and carrying on with their lives is very good. Great work! :D
-CFG

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:45 am
Snowery wrote a review...

Hey EraBerry!! Knight Silver here to review for you!! :) :)

First of all, what an interesting concept!! You've pulled it off very well too. You had my attention the entire way through and kept me intrigued the entire time.

Some nit picks:

Others pass by and simply smile when they see it send waves of sparkling light through the glass.

I think this should be: "Others pass by and simply smile when they see it sendingwaves of sparkling light through the glass."

With the knife of the angry master, some wax has been slashed and made rough and no longer beautiful.

This might sound better as: "With the knife of the angry master, some wax has been slashed and made rough and no longer beautiful."
I feel the "some" is just unneeded.

The man in the chair stands and runs while the other two take him by his arms and drag him out of the room.

Watch your tenses it's been in present up til now.

Overall great story and I look forward to seeing more from you soon!!

Silverlock

Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.
— Niels Bohr