Knights of Ignis Pinna

by DarthTedious44

Knights of Ignis Pinna part 1

A First Surprise

Sir Jason awoke to a loud bang. He slowly got out of his bed, rubbing his eyes as he took in information. A bang meant an explosion he thought, as he made his way across his large rectangular gray stone room. He raced for the door and looked out just in time to see an arrow heading straight for his room. He slammed the wooden door and saw the head of the arrow just pierce the the wood. Suddenly, it exploded. The force sent Jason flying against the back wall of his room.

Jumping up he looked around the room; his bed with the white mattress and sheets along with his red comforter. Next to it was where the door used to be. His room was basically empty other than those. He had a picture of his parents next to his bed, who he hadn’t seen since he was 18, next to that was his closet. In it was a sword, another sword some armour, a sword...plus a sword.

Grabbing the green sword with yellow handle horns, he also grabbed his helmet. No time for anything else he thought. Jason was part of the RDF the Rapid Defense Force which were charged with being the first ones to hold off an attack until the rest of the force got ready. Jason knew he had to hurry.

Racing out his door, Jason was met by Curtis. Curtis was panicked and running at top speed stopping just in time to avoid colliding with Jason. He had black hair and a darker skin tone than most. He looked at Jason. The two were about the same height so their eyes met straight on.

“What’s the situation?” Jason asked. He started walking down the most dangerous part of the castle right now. It was the part just above the walls meaning he was open to attack from archers and mages. He didn’t care and just kept a sharp eye out as Curtis started.

“DOOMS!” Curtis cried.

“Who?” Jason took a step back. He knew who the Dooms were, but the fact that they were attacking this castle which Jason commanded...it was shocking.

“The Dooms.” Curtis repeated in shock and fearful for his and pretty much everyone else’s lives. “You know, big giant armies, scary green and black horned armour and ones sworn to kill all those who oppose them!” he started to calm down...sorta in the beginning of his sentence before turning into a panic near the end.

The Dooms. They were a foe that everyone feared. The original Empire before being defeated by a rebellion of a species, still it only took ten years after almost total annihilation for them to bounce back to be along with the UAS United Armies of the Species (now known as the UFL United Forces of the Land) the largest and most powerful armies in the known world.

Though they had lost complete power the Dooms would kill everyone they faced if they had a choice. When they took prisoners was when people got uneasy. They almost never paid ransom and would never talk if interrogated so capturing them was also almost pointless. The Dooms had no heart.

Jason couldn’t show fear, he was the leader of this castle. Ignis Pinna was where he had been first assigned after becoming a full fledged knight. His whole career of ten years had led up to this moment of defending his pride, if he showed fear, his men would too. Instead he simply asked, “How many?”

Curtis gulped. “Thousands.” he looked down like a child who had just admitted to breaking their mother’s favourite vase.

Jason started walking down the stone steps to the main gates. Pondering what to do. He had around five-hundred knights at his disposal plus the twenty official guards and thirty militia whose usual task was to cook, make beds and do chores which weren’t the most knights cared little to do.

“You do have a plan...right sir.” Curtis asked hopefully.

“Of course.” Jason said, he was a skillful actor which is another way to said he was good at lying.

“Well...” Curtis made an impatient motion of rolling his hands..

“The RDF will defend until the rest of the force can get ready to fight.” Jason was pleased with the plan and reached the bottom of the stairs confidently before entering a courtyard with the tallest doors in the castle being tall enough for five men tall.

“I don’t think you understand sir.” Curtis stopped in front of him. “They have ten thousand soldiers.” he pointed to the door, then to himself as he said “We have Six-Hundred. That means we need an actual plan.”

Jason smiled. It showed seeing his helmet only covered the top of his head, a feature he hated about the RDF armour. However if he changed it to personalize his RDF it would show he wasn’t confident with the armour the other twenty members of the RDF.

Curtis had always been the one to talk back. However this time he had a point. He paused to think. “Fine, the RDF will distract along with the militia so the army can escape through the back entrance to Sicut. If we can we will meet you there.” Jason sighed.

“Yes sir.” Curtis smiled and turned to run up the stairs yelling things like he was Jason’s old Drill Sergeant.

The courtyard was filled with twenty men dressed in steel helmets and with swords, maces and even a battleaxe was being held by the RDF second in command Major Moltus.

“Sir.” Moltus nodded.

Jason knew now was the time he had to make a rally speech. “Brother Knights!” Jason cried. “This is Ignis Pinna’s darkest hour. This what we have trained for. We will defend the castle or die. We will fight to the last man.” He raised his arm sword in hand ready make the final statement. “We will-”

Suddenly two people one dressed in white spider silk robes with a staff one hand a cup of what appeared to be coffee in the other, he was Conrad VonShnider, the head wizard of Ignis Pinna, second in command of the castle itself and Jason’s best friend.

The second was wearing hard leather armour and held a shortbow in his hand along with tomahawks, knives and an explosive battle axe were loaded in his waist pouch, his name was Peircen the head archer of the castle and leader of the non-RDF warriors though Jason’s commands outranked everyones.

“Hey. Did I miss the beginning of the speech.” Conrad grinned his evil smile. He had a blond buzz-cut and was the best person Jason knew at ‘Acting’.

“What is it Commander VonShnider.” Jason was annoyed since Conrad usually waited behind a door or in a corner while Jason made speeches, then appeared at important parts and interrupted.

“Just came to say that I’m fighting in the RDF today.” he smiled and took sip of coffee.

“And how did you get ready fast enough to arrive today.” Conrad was late everyday that didn’t involve risking your life.

“I have my ways.” he smiled. “But before you ask any question may I remind you that we have ten thousand Doom Soldiers outside you I would like to fight.”

“Of course.” Jason shook his head. “Everyone we are going to lead the army east so the rest of the force can escape.”

A few people started muttering. “Move out!” Jason cried and the entire force other than Peircen ran to the door while instead Peircan stood in the middle of the yard waiting for his army to arrive.

Jason opened the door of the castle and instantly an arrow flew through at hit one of the RDF in the neck knocking him to the ground.

“Aaarghh.” the hit soldier let out before becoming limp.

“Watch out.!” Conrad called and Jason turned to see an arrow coming straight for his head. He raised his shield but he knew it was too late.

Suddenly Jason felt himself something throw him against the ground. He looked up to see Conrad smiling. “Your welcome.” Conrad smirked and took another sip of his coffee which somehow hadn’t spilled.

“You could’ve threw the arrow to the ground.” Jason got up.

“I know.” Conrad took another sip of his coffee.

“Spread out.” Jason ordered. Then another arrow flew by and went straight threw the soldiers cranium carried and hit the door without going completely threw, pinning the hit guard to the door.

Jason looked for the firer of these arrows. He had never seen such accuracy, especially not in a Doom. He ran left of the door with Conrad a few others while the rest went right.

Then Jason caught a glimpse of the army he faced. 10,000 identical warriors in black and green horned armour carrying every imaginable weapon. In front of the army stood two warriors.

The first held a crossbow that reloaded itself, and wore orange dragonplate over his entire body. He was the sniper.

The second figure was dressed the name but with red plate and held a giant sword.

The orange armoured looked at Jason and pointed. 500 Doom Soldier broke formation and charged down the five hundred metres of rusty stone wasteland between the castle and Dooms.

The two leaders followed right behind their army.

Before anyone could think of a plan another arrow just missed Jason and hit the soldier to his left in the heart. Jason turned to had a longsword in hand raised it and yelled “Charge!”

Conrad threw his coffee in the air did a spin to create momentum and unleashed a fearsome bolt of lightning at the charging Dooms.

The bolt went straight threw two Dooms frying them but the red armoured warrior simply raised his sword as the lightning arrived and his sword simply absorbed the electricity before he aimed it at the RDF members who had turned right and boom 5 of the 6 who had gone in that direction were killed.

Conrad caught his coffee and took a sip as he fired a bolt of fire at the Orange armoured but the orange fire an arrow at the bolt at the two objects exploded.

Those Orange and Conrad continued to exchange energy beams and arrows with Conrad taking the occasional sip of coffee, meanwhile Jason arrived at striking range of 5 Dooms.

He lunged at the first one who held a dagger in both hands. The soldier dodged and spun around to strike at Jason who unleashed a kick knocking him away. The next two obviously not as skilled as the first the swung at the same time, but Jason easily dodged and turned to behead the first before jumping and doing a smash onto the other shoulder unleashing a mortal injury.

Jason spun around again to slice at one holding a mace and realized too late the Dooms weapon would hit him first suddenly the Dooms head exploded and Jason saw Conrad barely holding up shield against arrows and returned bolts of energy from the two leaders. Conrad would probably be doing better if he wasn’t still taking sips of coffee.

Jason saw the last two Dooms near him. The one with Knives threw one at Jason who backed up to dodge almost into the seconds swords, before spinning around to cut him in half at the torso.

Suddenly another knife almost hit him only this time it hit a knight who had just arrived at Jason’s side to help. The Doom with knives now had two more in hand and Jason rolled to slide tackle the Doom only the Doom was agile and jumped throwing a knife at Jason hitting his arm.

Jason now had to fight an extremely skilled Doom with an injured shoulder. The Doom threw the other knife in his hand but Jason ducked and threw his sword like a javelin and caught the Doom in the leg.

The Doom fell to the ground and Jason pulled his sword out of the Dooms leg. Mistake.

The Doom even with a bleeding leg managed to trip Jason and get up and unsheath a short sword and a dagger, suddenly another Doom flied into the Doom with knives and knocked him over Jason. Jason flipped up his sword into the Doom who hit the one with knives and impaled him through the chest. Then Jason threw the impaled Doom at the knife Doom who had already recovered and dodged completely ignoring his injuries same as Jason.

Suddenly Moltus appeared clutching a bloody battle axe. “I’ll take care of him sir.” he told Jason. “The Commander needs your help.”

Jason looked over at Conrad who was now defending against several Dooms but was tiring...despite the coffee Conrad refused to put down.

“Thank you Moltus.” Jason smiled and charged toward the Dooms who attacked Conrad.

Jason caught the first one by surprise slicing his head off with blade. As six others turned to face him he impaled another.

Conrad seeing his opportunity unleashed a bolt of lightning at the Dooms. Frying two more before needing to concentrate on red armour and orange armour.

Jason backed up as the two Dooms circled him. He lunged at one who dodged and unleashed a counter swing at Jason’s side. Jason rolled in time and threw his sword impaling his attacker in the heart. The second Doom wasting no time charged for an uppercut that Jason limboed to dodge before tackling the Doom to the ground. The Doom pinned was helpless as Jason grabbed his sword and shoved the blade through the final Doom’s face.

That was only the beginning Jason looked around and saw four remaining RDF, two militias the chef and the blacksmith, Moltus, Conrad and himself remained. Meanwhile hundreds of Dooms marched forward.

“Retreat!” Jason cried. “Moltus, lead the other to regroup.”

Jason realized that Moltus was still in combat with mister knives.

“I’ll fix that.” Conrad smiled and Jason turned to see him throwing his empty cup of coffee at the Doom, Moltus fought.

The Doom fell unconscious. “Finally finished it.?” Jason joked.

Conrad didn’t reply since he was slowly stepping closer to the two Doom leader who seemed to be wasting no energy. Orange was casually firing arrows and Red was watching not bothering to get close.

“All remaining units retreat!” Moltus called to the six other beside Conrad and Jason.

The six didn’t bother to respond and did an all out sprint to the castle doors.

“Evan. Stop them.” Orange ordered Red.

“My pleasure.” Red whose name was apparently Evan.

“Stop him Jason.” Conrad asked.

“But-”Jason stammered.

“I’ll be fine.” Conrad assured and broke his defense to unleash numerous bolt of plasma at Orange who showed actual interest for the first time in this battle. He did a skillful leap and landed in a roll unleashing an arrow in the air and two at the end of the roll. “I think.”

Reluctantly Jason charged at Evan sword drawn.

Evan didn’t react until the very last second when he unleashed a powerful spin knocking Jason to the ground. Evan proceeded to pick Jason up by the head and knee him in the gut.

Dazed Jason couldn’t stop being thrown into the castle door just as it closed in front of the dead chef, killed by an arrow.

Evan raised his sword above Jason to finish him, Jason shook his head and took everything in. It took a second for him to realize what was about to happen and Jason rolled away and threw himself up. The sword cutting the back of his collar.

Jason realized he was unarmed and threw himself on Evan but instead of falling to the ground like most other, Evan only took a few steps back and threw Jason off before hitting Jason in the head with the hilt of his sword knocking him out...the last sight Jason had was Conrad taking an arrow to the arm collapsing before the world went black...

So how was that? This is the first chapter and I don't know what to say. If you liked or hated it please leave your comments below. I have five other chapters written most longer than this so if you want them tell me or this story will get abandoned.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:13 am
DarthTedious44 says...

Love all yout guys support. I hopefully will be uploading the next part by the end of the week depending on how my job at finding stories I like then reviewing them goes. Just a little bit of me talking now. Giving a random history of the story mostly cause I want to escape my family on Christmas.

This story originally started about four years ago when I was in grade four or five. It was about three people" Brayden, Nolan and Ethan on their adventure to gather allies to stop a Doom attack. After a while I grew bored of writing and it basically stopped for about two years to a year ago (back then it was called: Great Knights, it was a very cheesy name but I was 9.) so I mad a bunch of characters and stuff but I eas little so compared to how I write now it sucked (though it was pretty decent for my age lol.) Anyway about a year and a half ago I wrote a story called: Mando Wars. It was pretty good and each chapter was about 24 pages, I got two and half done before part two and three got deleted and I couldn't recover them. So I didn't feel like rewritting but needed a new idea, so I read through my old books I had written and found this one. I wrote a little bit with my improved writting before realizing I should completely redo it. With that I started this almost a year ago, I have a really busy life with Cadets and Scouts and all that do I couldn't write that fast but now a year later I am posting this for the first time. Anyway that was my random speech and remember: R&R.

Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:58 am
RoachRedford! wrote a review...

Lucrezia did a really good job of explaining examples of technical errors in this piece that need to be rectified. The key to avoiding this is revision, revision, revision. The more you read over your own work, the more things you're pick up. If you've written five long chapters, why not print them off and read them to someone aloud, that way you'll notice when something doesn't sound right or doesn't make sense (and you get some feedback!)

As far as the plot goes, I think it's reasonably solid. I like the character of Conrad who seems to be a very powerful yet nonchalant mage. Unfortunately I feel like Jason is a very cookie-cutter protagonist. I don't really feel connected to his character as a leader or as a persona I want to follow through this story. In this opening chapter I'm afraid Conrad steals the spotlight a little too much!

You choose some odd things to be specific about, mainly the colours of swords and armour as opposed to the appearance of your characters, how they feel when going up against a force more than ten times larger, where the other citizens of the kingdom are or how they feel. I think a little more time spent examining the 'bigger picture' of this plot would do the piece a world of good.

I hope you don't think that I've not enjoyed this piece, because I definitely did, and I would love too see what happens next! Keep up the exciting writing!

Thanks for the review. Especially your opinion on Jason. I agree and I feel I need to deepen his personality. Also glad you liked Conrad and sad to say his next showing is in chapter 6. (He`s my favourite character as well, is it weird an author likes his characters).
Please submit any ideas to help me out like do you have a way I could deepen Jason? Anything is welcome and I take all suggestions seriously.

Thx for the review!

Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:49 am
Snowery wrote a review...

Hey!! Silver here to review your piece! :)

Hey! Silver here to review you story!
I'll start by saying that I REALLY liked this. It was full of action and I wasn't bored for a minte. It's agreat story, well written and you had great descriptions, especially when it comes to the fight scenes.

Lucrezia covered most of the nitpicks but I managed to find a few I could still give some advice for.

A bang meant an explosion he thought, as he made his way across his large rectangular gray stone room.

"A bang meant an explosion" should be in italics to make more clear that he's thinking and also since it's a current thought it should be in present tense, so: [italics]A bang means an explosion[/italics] , he thought,
Also this isn't anything big but just a simple idea to improve this, you can pace you story faster by slightly changing your wording. Eg: [italics]A bang means an explosion[/italics] , he thought, making his way across his large, rectangular, grey, stone room.
See how that makes a difference? Especially with a cool action piece like yours, small things like this can really make a difference.
Also since this is a faster scene you want it to read as smoothly as possible. Your description of the room has four adjectives and that makes things a little wordy. I suggest removing rectangular.

He slammed the wooden door and saw the head of the arrow just pierce the wood.

How does he see the arrow pierce the door if he already slammed it?

Grabbing the green sword with yellow handle horns, he also grabbed his helmet.

This was a little clunky and I suggest re wording it.

Overall this was a great oiece and I look forward to seeing more! :) :)

Silverlock

I noticed adidn`t write the arrow and door scene the best so here`s what happened.

He saw the arrow coming and slammed the door, then it pierced the closed door.

Thanks for pointing that and everything else out. I`ll work on all these suggestions for Chapter 7 (which I am currently writting).

I appreciate your support and wonder should I use authors notes and such? Or should I leave them all talk to down here?

Silverlock says...

No worries!! I usually feel if it's something important than do an author's note but otherwise just let them talk it out :) Happy writing :)

Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:40 am
deleted30 wrote a review...

Welcome to YWS! Lucrezia here to review.

This is a very intriguing story so far. You should definitely upload the other chapters, as I'm curious to see what'll happen next. I can also appreciate the fact that you started this off with a battle scene. I loath writing battle scenes, but you did it quite well, especially considering you just joined today.

Now, sadly, it's time for the nitpicks.

He had a picture of his parents next to his bed, who he hadn’t seen since he was 18, next to that was his closet.

I think "who" should be "whom."

In it was a sword, another sword some armour, a sword…

There should be a comma before "some armor."

Jason was part of the RDF the Rapid Defense Force which were charged with being the first ones to hold off an attack until the rest of the force got ready.

You need to use more commas and periods in this entire piece, but the part I quoted is especially glaring.

It should look more like, "Jason was part of the RDF, or the Rapid Defense Force, which was charged with being the first ones to hold off an attack until the rest of the force was ready."

Another option is, "Jason was part of the RDF---the Rapid Defense Force. They were charged with being the first ones to hold off an attack until the rest of the force was ready."

“You know, big giant armies, scary green and black horned armour and ones sworn to kill all those who oppose them!” he started to calm down...sorta in the beginning of his sentence before turning into a panic near the end.

This is a bit confusing to the reader. I would write it as: "You know, big giant armies," he said, starting to calm down. Then he added, in a voice once again full of panic, "With scary green and black horned armor and sworn to kill all those that oppose them!"

Something like that.

"Right sir" should have a comma after the "right" and before the "sir," and there should also be a question mark at the end.

"Said" should be "say."

“But before you ask any question may I remind you that we have ten thousand Doom Soldiers outside you I would like to fight.”

Should be: "But before you ask any questions, may I remind you that we have ten thousand Doom Soldiers outside I would like to fight?"

Note the differences; I'm too tired to explain what I changed and why.

Suddenly Jason felt himself something throw him against the ground. He looked up to see Conrad smiling. “Your welcome.”

Should be: Suddenly, Jason felt something throw him against the ground. He looked up to see Conrad, smiling at him. "You're welcome."

(Note that I changed "your" to "you're"… please just Google the difference, I've had a long day.)

Then another arrow flew by and went straight threw the soldiers cranium carried and hit the door without going completely threw

"Threw" is a word that means to throw something. "Through" is a word that means to go through something, to see through someone, etc. Please change that "threw" to "through."

Okay! That's all for me. Anyway, I liked this and think it has a lot of potential. Sorry I nitpicked the hell out of it! Luckily all of those are just tiny technical details that don't matter much overall; it's the story that REALLY counts. Good work! :)

Thank youbfor the very detailed (not to mention my first ever) review.

I love the support the first three reviews gave me (it also makes me stressed to write better). I shall try to fix all my errors (despite it being my weakest point in literacy).

Also this is an in-general question: Can I connect part two with a link on this chapter?

Anyway I thank you for the help in my revision and again thx for being the first to comment.

deleted30 says...

I believe you can connect it with a link, but you really don't need to. It'll bring it up on the right side of this page under the "Related Items" section, as well as your portfolio. Just put the same title in the next chapter and you're good. ;)

Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself.
— RazorSharpPencil