z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language

Women's Rights

by rishabh


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language.

Women’s Rights

When a baby girl takes birth, her family members excluding mother, turn their nose and mouth in unison to opposite direction. Now you will be thinking that why I excluded mother from the remaining family? It is so simple to rejoinder, in our Indian families; mother of a girl always faces tough rejection from the family members. Mom likes the girl but family and fucking society hates the girl. Why girls face hard-hitting discrimination in our society? Why can’t we take any initiative to give them their proper rights? If we go in flashback, we will find that the status of women started decaying after 500 BC, when the Hinduism evolved. Yes, in Hinduism, we developed false standards for the women and for men there were no preset standards. However, today we need a change in our society. Our ancestors did a huge gaffe by setting some societal laws for women, as women had to walk behind their husbands, women couldn’t own property, widows couldn’t wed again etc. We need to correct our ancestors. We have to abolish such laws from our grey matter. The basic rights for women are not only to vote or to grab reservation quotas. There is much more, besides giving them quotas, first of all give them respect, give them the right to own property, give your wife a chance to stand with you not behind you, give women the right to breathe freely without any ‘Purdah (veil)’. Everything is in the control of our mindset; we can give many rights to women and ‘many rights’ means lots of happiness in the society. As we have discussed about giving copious rights to women. Now, it’s time to think about the role of women in various fields like politics, media, sports etc. Women have the potential to break all the preset records and have courage to make new records. For example, Indian women are doing fab in sports. Women are showing their latent talent to the world. They are giving a clear message to male community that the earth needs women too, to run the cycle of life.

Today if we connect women’s past to their present then we will find that they have achieved a lot in a very less time and men who are working independently from Stone Age, have achieved a lot but took a very long time to establish themselves. So now, we can also prove that females are more efficient than males. In my opinion if we give women, their basic rights then our country will get its courage back to stand on both the legs. Currently, we want development in our country and we are constantly criticizing the government for bad governance. ‘Criticization’ is not a solution for the development. Development will surely come if we change our corrupt mindset. Therefore, from today onwards, if we take an oath that we will change our mindset and we will give women their cardinal rights, then only development is possible in our country otherwise not.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:52 am
Deanie wrote a review...



Hey Rishabh! I am ready to review the next thing.

Mm, I think I preferred the other one. Although I am understanding what you mean to say, the English language wasn't as good in this one, and it was slightly bothersome in reading it. I know the previous reviewers have commented on a lot of English corrections, but I am just going to alter the last paragraph because the first one is too big. So this is it in not spotless English but the best I can do:

Today, if we connect women’s past to their present then we will find that they have achieved a lot in a less time than men. Men have achieved a lot but it took them a very long time to establish themselves. So now, we can also prove that females are more efficient than males. In my opinion if we give women their basic rights, then our country will get its courage back to stand on both the legs. Currently, we want development in our country and we are constantly criticizing the government for bad governance. ‘Criticism’ is not a solution for the development. Development will surely come if we change our corrupt mindset. Therefore, from today onwards, if we take up an oath that we will change our mindset and we will give women their cardinal rights, then only development is possible in our country.

That's my version of it. Aside from the English, the format was also a bit off-putting. It was just two very large paragraphs! My suggestion is that you break it up a bit more. In to smaller sectors so it's easier to read.

Enough with format and language, let's talk about the content. I think you laid out your arguments exceedingly well, and I can tell this is another topic you feel very strongly about. To make some of your arguments even more valid so the reader won't doubt them is to have some quotes in there or statistics. So, let's say that women have improved faster than men have in their given time. This is just an example, but let's take the statistics from the Olympics, sprint 100m. In the 30 years women have participate they've narrowed down the record for the fastest time complete by 20 seconds, while men in 50 years have only narrowed it down by 5. Or something. That's just a made up example. But if you find more proof - and note that the key word is proof here - it makes the essay a lot more stronger on the foundation it is built upon. Especially if you add in quotes of how widows feel when they know they must be alone forever, etc.

I think this is a good beginning to an essay, but it can improve a lot as well. It just needs more foundation and a bit of language help. But from these two essays, you do manage to drive your meaning across and it leaves the reader with something to think and dwell upon later. Good job!

Deanie x




rishabh says...


thanks deanie



User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35774
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:26 am
niteowl wrote a review...



Hi there rishabh! Nite here to review for the apple dumpling gang this fine Review Day!

Now, overall, I have to ask you: How seriously do you want to be taken? You make some great points, but I think the use of profanity and casual language like "fab" would be off-putting if, say, you wanted to put this in the newspaper or write a politician or even turn it in for a school assignment. The first person also takes away from the formality of the essay. That may have been your intention, but if not, something to consider.

When a baby girl takes birth,


Should be "is born"

If we go in flashback, we will find that the status of women started decaying after 500 BC, when the Hinduism evolved.


Any evidence for this? While I don't doubt that Hinduism made inequality worse, my understanding is that the loss of women's status started with agriculture and larger societies, which predates Hinduism. Sources are a good thing.

Yes, in Hinduism, we developed false standards for the women and for men there were no preset standards.


I'm not sure what you mean by this. An unequal society definitely sets standards for both genders. If the woman is expected to be submissive and domestic, there's pressure on the husband to be strong and the main breadwinner. This can be harmful too, if say, the man gets injured and the wife is forced to do the hard labor.

Our ancestors did a huge gaffe by setting some societal laws for women,


Not feeling the "gaffe" word choice here. To me, a "gaffe" is something more trivial or comical, like if I refer to Mrs. Jones as Mr. Jones. You're describing something more serious here. I think "made a huge mistake" or "set a terrible precedent" would work nicely.

The basic rights for women are not only to vote or to grab reservation quotas.


Again, not disagreeing with you, but I don't know what reservation quotas are or why they're inadequate. Okay, so I Googled it, and it's basically like affirmative action. It seems like you could expand here a bit on what quotas are supposed to do vs. the reality. For example, maybe there's women who have jobs but are still underpaid and disrespected.

For example, Indian women are doing fab in sports.


Besides the odd use of "fab", I think this could be stronger with a specific example.

Today if we connect women’s past to their present then we will find that they have achieved a lot in a very less time and men who are working independently from Stone Age, have achieved a lot but took a very long time to establish themselves.


This doesn't make much sense as stated. Women and men can't really work independently from each other. Perhaps a better way to phrase this would be "Despite centuries of oppression, women have proven successful in many fields."

‘Criticization’ is not a solution for the development.


I've never heard "criticization" before. Do you mean criticism?

Overall, there's some good points, but they could be fleshed out more and the language could be smoother. Keep writing! :)




User avatar
301 Reviews


Points: 20262
Reviews: 301

Donate
Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:44 am
Snowery wrote a review...



Hey rishabh!! Silver here to review!!

Firstly I noticed that there was no clear introduction? Your beginning was good but it sort of morphed with the rest. There should always be a clear introduction and conclusion in an essay. you have the conclusion but I don't really see a distinct introduction. Secondly your essay is a little short. My advice is take three min points that you are trying to bring across and separate them into three paragraphs, argue them out and apply your Hinduism experience. I really like that you bring experiences from your culture and adds a genuine feel to it.

A couple of things I noticed:

"you will be thinking that why I excluded mother "
This would sound better if you had said: "you will be "wondering" why I excluded mother"

" mother of a girl always faces"
Would sound better if you add "the" before "mother"

"fucking society hates the girl"
One golden rule about essays that I have ALWAYS been taught is NEVER to swear in essays, it's just unprofessional especially if you're going to submit this to somewhere.

" both the legs"
Should be: " both their legs"

Apart from all that good points and love the Hinduism incorporation. with a bit of tweaking it'll be great!! Happy writing!! :) :)

Silverlock





Love is all we have, the only way that each can help the other.
— Euripides