z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Too Much "T"

by JsonRB


Comski1- T1B

______________________________________________________________________________

Briones, Jayson R.

Too Much “T”

Have you already eaten a rectangular apple? Well, the apple that I’m referring can’t be eaten. It’s actually a brand of electronic gadgets that are usually rectangular in shape. Electronic gadgets and equipments are just some of the countless fruits of the tree called technology. However as technology produces more and more products, people tend to abuse it. Thus, too much technology bears unstoppable problems concerning our lifestyle, our society, and our environment.

Technology has promoted an inactive lifestyle. Many people were addicted to technology that they used to just sit with their modern electronic gadgets almost throughout the day. People neglect the healthy way of living leading to many health problems. One example is having a blurred vision with migraine that happens after too much constant staring at computer and device screens. Neck and back pain could also get from long hours hunching in front of your computers, laptops, and other devices. Using headphones and ear buds could also result to hearing loss and lack of awareness leading to accidents. Another thing is that technology has made almost everything available without much effort exertion. You can order a fully-cooked meal and research anything even without leaving your seats. The abuse of technological devices has made people do most of their daily activities while sitting. This is too bad however, because research shows the longer you sit, the greater the likelihood you’ll die at younger age.

Social interaction is a fundamental human need according to many studies and theories. Technology has truly improved the means of communication through the use of mobile phones and different social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Now, a large portion of interaction occurs online. This fact has led to the decline of social skills which are vital for the society. Online interaction has also removed the sense of real bonding resulting to weaker bonds among family members and friends. Technology has also eased the people’s access to media. Due to the constant stream of violent scenes on video games, TV, movies, and Youtube, people tend to normalize the bad things happening that creates a society of people who lack empathy. This results to an increase in the level of violence in the community. Because of technology, a warped sense of reality is created.

We have taken this home of ours, this food provider, this nourisher, this fertile, loving patient mother and raped her, bombed her, nuked her, diverted her natural waters, turned her barren, cut her protective coat and left her desolate and naked to the wind”, Gandhi once said condemning environmental destructions. According to its definition, environmental pollution is any discharge of material or energy into water, land, or air that causes or may cause acute (short-term) or chronic (long-term) detriment to the Earth's ecological balance or that lowers the quality of life. Technology has improved transportation and production. Thus, we have clogged our streets with all types of vehicles that emit harmful gases polluting the air we breathe. Factories, electric power plants, and industrial complexes that discharge poisonous chemicals are also some contributors of air, water, and land pollution. Another major problem is the ozone depletion which causes global warming. The largest cause of ozone depletion is chlorofluorocarbon also known as CFC which is a chemical used in appliances such as refrigerators, fire extinguishers, and aerosol cans. All of these technological advancements result in the destruction of our environment. The worse thing is destroying our environment, is destroying us.

Technology is really too much. It has changed everything, from the shape of the apple to the color of the air. Although technology has made our life easier, it also has made us suffer with its negative effects. Technology becomes so overpowering that it now controls almost everything here on Earth. On the other hand, we, supreme beings, still have the true power to rule and control. Let’s make technology an opportunity, not a threat. Let’s not be destroyers but nature lovers. Let’s not be ‘netizens’, but real world citizens promoting normal and personal social interactions. After all, technology isn’t everything. Leave your seats and look beyond, there are still countless wonderful real things outside!

Resources:

Vinuya, R.Nurturing Planet Earth.Vinuya, R. & Buri, S.College Reading and Writing.(2007)

Reynoldsburg, OH. Negative Effects of Technology on Society

.http://www.studymode.com/essays/Recent-Negative-Effect-Technology-Society-1632.html

Viewpoint.( June 21, 2010).http://stewardshipreport.com/viewpoint-when-is-too-much-the-negative-effects-of-technology/

Paula Ebben. How Technology Impacts Physical And

Emotional Health.http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/02/07/how-technology-impacts-physical-and-emotional-health/

Laura Schwecherl.19 worst tech related health risks.http://greatist.com/health/19-worst-tech-related-health-risks

Sheri Hosale.25 Negative Effects of Technology.http://roogirl.com/25-negative-effects-of-technology/

http://teenink.com/nonfiction/academic/article/482544/Negative-Effects-of-Technology-on-Society/

Oracle think quest.http://library.thinkquest.org/C001611/pollution.html


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:33 pm
Deanie wrote a review...



Hi Json,

Here to review this essay! I think you did a great job with getting enough facts in there, and explaining the affects of technology. I never actually knew that the more you sat, the likelier you are to die younger! I was shocked, and whenever a reader learns something new, or is surprised, you know your essay is good.

I also liked how you started with a rather absurd question, and then went on to explain what you meant. It immediately hooked my attention and I just wanted to read more! You have some topic sentences in there, which is the first sentence to each paragraph and should tell the reader what they are expected to read. For example, a perfect topic sentence that you used is: Technology promotes an inactive lifestyle. It's perfect :)

Some things which could use working on is your use of commas and full stops. Sometimes they weren't there at all, when they needed to be. Perhaps you should read your essay aloud, and see where you pause? Whenever you pause, there needs to be a comma or a full stop at that exact place. It is easy to know where they need to be then.

"Many people were addicted to technology that they used to just sit with their modern electronic gadgets almost throughout the day." This sentence is a bit muddled when it comes to the English in it. My version: Many people can get addicted to technology and spend a lot of time using their gadgets and sitting. Other than that, this paragraph was awesome!

I think the rest of your essay was great. It had a good mix of quotes, information and I learnt quite a bit. I do think the conclusion could use a bit of tweaking in terms of English and the message you want to give the reader.

"Technology is really too much." You've done a good job of remaining formal when it comes to this essay throughout. Let's keep that up here as well. And maybe say something more extravagant. Like: technology is taking over our world, because we let it.

"It has changed everything, from the shape of the apple to the color of the air." Hmm I think this is taking the beginning phrase you used a little too far. I understand what you are trying to bring across at the beginning. But really, I don't know what you mean by the colour of the air? In my opinion you should cut this section out of the essay completely.

Then it was all good, and very uplifting. And the final line, "Leave your seats and look beyond, there are still countless wonderful real things outside!" It was a good way to end! Maybe cut out the word real, because it sounds like you're trying to say technology isn't 'real' which it is, and can lead on to a whole argument surrounding just that.

I think you should work on the title, because Too much T isn't really flattering, and in comparison to the essay I don't think it fits. Maybe something like technology taking over the world. Something a bit more intriguing.

I hope this review helped! If you want some more tips on writing essays this club has a good forums with articles and so on. Please do subscribe! clubs/1759

Deanie x



Random avatar
JsonRB says...


Thanks Deanie



Guest Avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 100

Donate
Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:58 am
emssandoval says...



"Technology" is a broad topic . You should choose a topic that is specific , but you are able to elaborate it well . Good job :-)

[ Edit ]


Guest Avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 100

Donate
Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:30 am
dhanheart says...



wow!!! it was nice...very nice....thanks to the sharer :)

[ Edit ]


Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:55 am
JsonRB says...



hey brother,

This is connected to KT's review. :)

"Technology has promoted an inactive lifestyle. Many people were addicted to technology that they used to just sit with their modern electronic gadgets almost throughout the day. People neglect the healthy way of living leading to many health problems. One example is having a blurred vision with migraine that happens after too much constant staring at computer and device screens. Neck and back pain could also get from long hours hunching in front of your computers, laptops, and other devices. Using headphones and ear buds could also result to hearing loss and lack of awareness leading to accidents. Another thing is that technology has made almost everything available without much effort exertion. You can order a fully-cooked meal and research anything even without leaving your seats. The abuse of technological devices has made people do most of their daily activities while sitting. This is too bad however, because research shows the longer you sit, the greater the likelihood you’ll die at younger age."

I clearly understand the writer's point.:) What he's trying to say is the negative POSSIBILITIES of abusing technology. He's also not concluding that everyone experiences those health risks.

WELL WRITTEN!
-YOUR SISTER :)-



Random avatar
JsonRB says...


What are you doing? Anyway, thank sis!


Random avatar
JsonRB says...


Thanks for the support. Don't do that again!



User avatar
394 Reviews


Points: 16710
Reviews: 394

Donate
Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:05 pm
KnightTeen wrote a review...



Hi, I'm Teen, here to review your essay. As a Knight of the Green Room, I do have a title, but I only use it on formal occasions.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, that's ok. The KOTGR have a forum page in the lounge.

Have you already eaten a rectangular apple?


By using this word in the sentence, you are asking your readers a somewhat rhetorical question, and implying that they have "already" consumed the apple. Not everyone has been bitten by the Apple bug, however, so this is not exactly correct. A better word would have been, "ever," or one of its' synonyms.

Technology has promoted an inactive lifestyle. Many people were addicted to technology that they used to just sit with their modern electronic gadgets almost throughout the day. People neglect the healthy way of living leading to many health problems. One example is having a blurred vision with migraine that happens after too much constant staring at computer and device screens. Neck and back pain could also get from long hours hunching in front of your computers, laptops, and other devices. Using headphones and ear buds could also result to hearing loss and lack of awareness leading to accidents. Another thing is that technology has made almost everything available without much effort exertion. You can order a fully-cooked meal and research anything even without leaving your seats. The abuse of technological devices has made people do most of their daily activities while sitting. This is too bad however, because research shows the longer you sit, the greater the likelihood you’ll die at younger age.



While I have to say that you presented and argued your points efficiently, they are not entirely correct.

I am a Homeschooled senior, and I do much of my work in front of the computer, watching DVD's, doing research, typing essays, etc. In addition, I am also on this website for several hours a day. I stare at this computer screen all the time, and if not at my computer, my iPod or my family's iPad.

That does not mean that I am unhealthy, however. I run every other morning and I have six little brothers and sisters that keep me active. I also referee local soccer games, and that requires a lot of running.

As I said, I have an iPod, and while I will agree that it does lead to lack of awareness, I haven't experience hearing loss and I've been using earbuds for years.

Yes, technology has made some things available without effort. Don't you think that it's easy for the working single mother to spend about five minutes of her time ordering a pizza online so that she won't have to cook that night, and by extension do dishes or hard clean up, therefore allowing time for her to be with her kids for a little while?

I understand that this is an essay to present the negative aspects of technology, but I have to ask you, is it really all that negative?

Online interaction has also removed the sense of real bonding resulting to weaker bonds among family members and friends.


Online interaction has also allowed family members who live across states to keep in touch. All of my living grandparents live across the country, and without technology I wouldn't be able to contact them as much as I do.


acute (short-term) or chronic (long-term)


I think that you need only one statement for each of these terms. We all should know the definition of acute and chronic, you don't need to spell it out for your readers.

The worse thing is destroying our environment, is destroying us.


After the comma, you should add some transition words to help you get from one point to the next without it being so abrupt.

I have to say that you did a wonderful job. Your grammar and spelling were wonderful, and your argument was made quite clearly, and supported well.

I'm not saying that I agree with everything that you said, but you wrote this very eloquently. Technology does have negative effects. But does the negative outweigh the positive?

KT



Random avatar
JsonRB says...


thanks a lot KT:)


Random avatar
JsonRB says...


I learned a lot from your review. Thanks again! :)



KnightTeen says...


No problem.




I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
— Dr. Seuss