Kira's Story, Chapter 12

by dragonfphoenix

Delta Thread, chapter 5

“Can’t sleep either, huh?” he asked, looking at the mess Kira had made of her bed.

“No, not really. I keep thinking that this problem shouldn’t be that difficult. You and your brothers are Moderators. You should be able to solve this without a lot of difficulty, yet whatever the solution is, it’s hidden in plain sight and not even you can see it.” Kira said, running her hand down Fe’s back. “I just have the feeling that we’re trying too hard.”

“No, we’re not trying hard enough.” Caden said, walking over to the bedside. He kneeled down in front of her and looked into her eyes. “We are going to find out what those things are in the desert, what their plans are, and then we’re going to find out how to destroy them. I’m not going to let them get within one mile of this palace before I know what they’re up to.” He stood up and walked over towards the wall. Kira could feel the room heating up. Caden had a tendency to literally vent his frustration in heat waves.

“Caden…” she said, her voice warning him of his involuntary action.

“What? Oh, sorry.” he said, and the room returned to its original temperature. “I just can’t help feeling that you’re right, that we are trying too hard to see what’s right in front of us, but I don’t know what else to do. Sunny’s monitoring the camp, Shadow’s doing research, and I’m here, making sure you’re safe. I don’t know what else to do without help.” He turned and glared at the cat. “And of course you’re not helping us at all.”

‘Perhaps not helping you is the best way I can help you.’ Kira heard the cat say. Fe hadn’t taken on his elven form and spoken, as he had when he’d let Caden banish Obsidian, but he did occasionally use what he termed ‘mind-speech’, which was what he was doing now.

“Ha-ha, you’re absolutely hilarious. Maybe we should hold a competition between you and Sonny.” Caden said, scolding the cat. “But what else should I expect from the Red Sage?”

‘You should expect to keep yourself on my good side.’ The cat replied, eyes staring back at Caden, unblinking.

“As if you had one.” Caden retorted. A low growl escaped from the cat, and Kira stroked his back soothingly.

“All right, you two.” she said. “That’s enough.”

“For you, I will cease my accusations of that good for nothing pet of yours.” Caden said, emphasizing the word ‘pet’. Fe hissed, then resumed his more reposed state. Caden smiled, and said, “So tell me, little house kitty, did you bring any of your friends with you when you came? Or is it just me and the big boys to do all the work?”

‘Cadence, you are really starting to rub my fur the wrong way.’ Fe thought, glaring at the elf who casually leaned against the wall. ‘And for your misbehavior I shall withhold my knowledge on that topic.’

“Well, since you’re so eager to share, what are those things that Obsidian has sitting in the desert? And is Obsidian even out of Interim yet?” Caden asked.

‘Talk to your father about the last one.’ Fe replied, stretching out his forepaws. He jumped off of Kira’s lap and walked towards the open closet. He stopped when he was in the doorway, and turned to look at Caden. ‘Watch the Overlay around their camp tomorrow, when the rain clears. That will give you the answers you want.’ Then he strode into the closet and disappeared among the clothes.

“Sages. They’re all the same.” Caden said, shaking his head.

“Is it still raining, Caden?” Kira asked.

Caden glanced up and gave her a firm look. “If you’re thinking about going outside, the answer’s no.” he said. She looked at him with her large eyes, trying to appear as innocent as possible. “The answer’s still no.” Caden said, smiling. “That doesn’t work on me. You should know that by know.”

“Oh, come on, Caden.” she said, climbing out of bed. “I’m the Queen. I can do what I want.” Kira said in a mocking voice, and Caden laughed.

“Like you can really just do what you want.” he said through laughs.

“Well, I can think what I want, can’t I?” she said, walking over to stand beneath the Hero tapestry.

“You go right ahead and believe that all you want.” Caden said, walking over to join her. They stood and admired the embroidery silently, and when Kira looked back at Caden, he had a tear in his eye.

“What’s wrong?” Kira asked, concerned.

“Nothing.” he said, smiling softly. He brushed the tear from his eye and smiled reassuringly at her. “Just someone I knew, a long time ago. His story was similar to Hero’s.”

“From your world?” Kira asked, letting him lead her back to her bed. She sat down, looking over the pile of blankets like an eager child.

“Yes, from my world.” Caden said, walking over to lean against the wall where she could see him easily. He stared absently at the tapestry for a moment, then said, “It was a long time ago. He was just a kid when they took his father.”

“Who’s they?” Kira asked. Caden smiled as he glanced back at her.

“The enemy of his day.” Caden said. “Like the Gorgunks Hero faced, only these were different. They had different faces, different names, even a different biological body. But they were the enemies just the same.

“They came and took his father when they discovered that his father was organizing freedom fighters to try to break out of slavery. There were a few elders that were too old to work in the mines that had been passed the knowledge of war from their sires before the enslavement. Aer, the ‘legendary’ name of this Hero, hadn’t been selected for the mines yet, and got to listen to his father and these elders plan to win the elves their freedom that had been taken when the Arcs came in like a plague and wiped out all resistance. He was eager to help his father, but his father wouldn’t let him fight in the resistance.”

“What happened?” Kira asked when Caden had been silent for some time.

“He ran off.” Caden said, his eyes hard. “He ran, since his father wouldn’t let him help, as he saw it, and disappeared into the northlands. I watched him leave, and then got to watch helplessly as the Arcs came and slaughtered his family the next day. Not just his dad and mom, but his three younger siblings as well. The oldest Aer had left behind was only eight at the time, the youngest just a newborn.” Tears started running down Caden’s eyes, and he brushed them away.

“You’re a Moderator.” Kira said, slightly confused. “Couldn’t you have helped?”

“I was ordered not to interfere.” he said, his jaw tight as he stared absently at an empty wall. “The orders came directly from the Grand Master. I was not to interfere in any manner on the proceedings of that day. I had to watch with my hands effectively tied as those beasts slaughtered the children first, holding the parents so they had to watch. They started with the baby, slitting her torso with their claws and laughing as she bled to death. They repeated the process with the entire family, working their way up to the father. When they got to him, they simply slit his throat, tired of their sport. I would have rent the entire sky a dozen times over stopping those fiends had I been allowed, but I couldn’t defy my orders.” He stopped and rubbed his eyes with both hands, and calmed himself. When he proceeded, his voice was filled with satisfaction. “But the Grand Master knows best. Had Aer been there that day, he too would have died, and the elves would have remained slaves. As it was that event lit a fire in him that would not be stayed. I can understand his pain. He felt as if abandoning his family caused their deaths, and that only gave him the strength to endure everything he went through as he grew to be the one leader the elves needed most.

“The Arcs absolutely feared him. They gave him his name, ‘Aer’, which means ‘the Minotaur’. He fought as fiercely as one, and left nothing but carnage in his wake when he fought the Arcs. He influenced his world the same way Hero did, more so, actually. He beat off the chains that had bound his people for almost 75 years, and eradicated the Arcs from his homeland. Yet they didn’t leave him unscathed when they left. They kidnapped his son and murdered his wife in a surprise attack before they fled. He almost died from grief, and probably would have if not for his adopted daughter, who would have had no one with him gone. So he survived, and twenty years later he again led the elves against the Arcs when they returned, not to recapture what was lost, but to destroy all those who stood against them. He died defending the borders from them.”

“What about his son and daughter?” Kira asked.

“Them? I wish I could say they were reunited and joined together to defeat the Arcs, but that’s not what happened.” Caden said. He stood silently for a moment, then said, “His daughter was old enough at this point to take his place as leader of the elves. She did, and continued the legacy of her dead father. When she had led the elves deep into the enemy camp, trying to take out the Arcs’ leader, she was joined by her brother, though she didn’t recognize him, nor did he remember her. They fought against the Arc that arrogantly called himself a Sage, and would have beaten him, if not for an unseen Arc that shot her brother. The Arc revealed that it was her brother who had been taken so long ago, and now lay dying at her feet. She became enraged, and wiped out both the Arc that had killed her brother and the false Sage. She went on to lead the elves to victory.” He smiled, and said, “She was a lot like you, Kira: determined to let nothing stand in her way, to let no one tell her that her plans were weaker because of her past or gender, and resolute in her ability to lead the elves. But she also lost everything but herself, and that gave her a cold sense of strength. I don’t want that to happen to you.” He said quietly.

“It won’t.” Kira reassured him. “Besides, I haven’t lost everything. I still have you, and I’ve gained friends as well.”

Caden smiled, but his eyes spoke of his silent concern. “I know, Kira. You’re not her. I don’t see you going down that road. You’re strong, and that will help you throughout life. But be careful that you don’t let bitterness ice your resolve into immovability. Emotions have a place, but they should never be the sole driving factor in your life.” He broke off his stare and glanced back at the illustration of Hero. “I’ve seen too many lives destroyed by those who used their bitterness to give them their energy, even if it were for a good cause. I don’t want you to make the same mistake.”

“Well, I promise I’ll do my best not to let myself become that cold.” Kira said. “Besides, I have you to help me.”

He looked back at her, and his smile was sad and worn. “I know, Kira. I just don’t know how long you’ll have me. My orders haven’t changed yet, but that doesn’t mean they won’t.”

“Well, you won’t be much good during the time you have if you spend all your time moping about the time you don’t have.” Kira said.

Caden laughed, and said, “You’re right. I have more important things to do than sit and cry about what I can’t change.”

“I’m glad you feel that way.” Kira said, sliding off her bed. “Because I’m going to go stand in the rain on the balcony, and you’re not going to stop me.” She was out of the room before he could voice a protest.

Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:26 am
DreamWork wrote a review...

Hi dragonfphoenix,I continued to read the next chapter here.I really wanted to know the next things will happen to them.

#“Can’t sleep either, huh?” he* asked, looking at the mess Kira had made of her bed.-->I get confuse here,so I better ask you about this.Does the '(h)e need to be capitalize after the '?' ? I am not sure about it.Just remind me if I was wrong about it.

The name of Sunny and Sonny really confusing here.But it is up to you then to create a character's name in your own novel!The conversation between both of them (kira & Caden) is so much interesting to read.Also I just know the cat actually can talk to Kira. Does Kira have a special relationship with Caden?

Or they were just a friends here.
Good chapter here,keep it up!
cheers,
dark.

Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:16 am
PenguinAttack wrote a review...

What world is Caden from? The world of Moderators? Or some weird other dimension because they've stated he looks like an elf a couple times, so. Everyone actually looks like elves. Are elves the great magical power of this universe?

Your extra hero stories are interesting but told in incredibly boring ways. This should be the time when we get some elaborate descriptions and things, if only because old stories are usually poetic ones full of imagery and emotion. Though Caden doesn't seem the imagery sort, I suppose. I wish you’d include some though.

This was again a better chapter than the last one because it was shorter, maybe? It at least had some interesting narrative, even if you scrunched it into the smallest place possible. Have fun with epic tales of daring-do! Use them for some elaborate storytelling and for some clearer emotion. Caden weeps a bit but you don’t feel it at all, we need more. He needs to sit down or touch the wall or stroke her hair or DO SOMETHING. So many of your characters just stand there while we listen, we need more than that to keep us interested in what you’re saying. I’m suuuure the next chapter will have more of this, of course!

Looking forward to the next, as always.
- Penguin

If you have a Kuzco in your life and they don't turn into a llama, bail.
— Alan SeaWright