"Me"

by 1heather3

ME:

When asked to describe myself in a few words I usually struggle. Are there even any words out there today that can describe you, me or anybody else? Because we’re not words, we’re not adjectives, nouns nor pronouns. We’re individual beings, much greater than any words or even essays can describe us to be. As you can see I’ve already gone off the point, me. I may find it hard to talk about myself in public, but I shouldn’t because I am nothing more or nothing less than you, so I shouldn’t be afraid.

The “Me” I have known for fifteen years nine months and eighteen days, is named Heather. Her father named her that and she’s very grateful because her mother wanted to call her Gwendolyn! I am two people. I’m the Heather you see every day and I’m the Heather I see every day. I’m a plumber’s daughter, I’m the youngest child, I’m the only sister and I’m the friend. I have a lot of roles to play in this unscripted life. The average girl everybody sees is not truly me. I am not my hair, my eyes, nose, body or structure. I’m not the way I walk, talk, stand or laugh. I’m not the girl who gets nervous talking in front of people; I’m not the girl who worries about too much. I’m the girl underneath all of that exterior. I’m the girl who overthinks, underachieves, lowers expectations and tries to higher her self-esteem. Being a teenage girl,in this day and age, is quite a lot of pressure. Not that I crumble or anything though, because I don’t. I don’t want to cover myself in layers of makeup, diet until I look like girls on the magazines. Because I’m more than my appearance, I’m more than pretty blue eyes and long brown hair; I’m more than a voice, a picture or a name. I’m inside, I’m underneath and below. Far beyond any teenage troubles. Far away from any recession or politicians. Miles away from titles, qualifications, grades, compliments, insults and adjectives. I’m the soul deep inside. I’m connected to the Heather you see and the one who is with God. I’m the Heather who cries because she knows she needs to release her emotions somehow, I’m the Heather who daydreams, talks to God, doesn’t go to Church very often but has a much stronger faith than any prayer could ever give. I’m the girl who gets so caught up in an idea and lives in the confines of fear.

When I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror I see past the imperfections and I see deep inside to the balancing act that takes place. A shy girl crossing a thin rope, hands out to her sides, tears blocking her vision, the futures brightness enabling her to see light and the past’s darkness pushing her forwards.

dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

Well, here we go.
Technical first. With this, "we’re not adjectives, nor nouns or pronouns", if you're going to use the "nor", then the "or" should actually be a "nor" as well. As weird as that may feel, it belongs. And if you don't like how it sounds, then you could just use two "or"s instead.
In this sentence, "Being a teenage girl in this day and age, is quite a lot of pressure.", you have an extra comma. That can and should be deleted.
"Doesn’t go to Church very often", your "Doesn't" shouldn't be capitalized.

Now, for the actual writing itself, I liked what you did and how you described yourself. The only part that was a little confusing was "I’m connected to the Heather you see and the one who is with God." What do you mean the "one who is with God"? You make it almost sound like there's the living you, and the one that died and went to heaven. I definitely don't think that's what you're saying, but you might want to reconsider the wording there.

Hope this helps!

1heather3 says...

Thanks for your help. I'm still learning! I don't agree with what you said about having a living me and a dead me, because that's certainly not what I meant. I don't think being in heaven is the only way we can be connected to God, but we all have our views on things. Thanks again though!

1heather3 says...

Thanks so much! Yeah i know it's not really speech material but I'm just going to keep writing bits of work until I can put it all into one big informative speech! Thanks again :)

Gardevite wrote a review...

Wow. This is a very nice work! You categorized it as a 'speech', which is a tiny bit off for me. A speech is intended to be spoken to audience, and often address them directly. This seems like more of a personal essay to me.

cover myself in layers if makeup, diet until...

You forgot the comma there. No big deal :)

So after those little nit-picks I would say this is a well written piece. Spelling and grammar seemed fine.

Your description of yourself, ideally, should make the reader connect with you on a personal level. You could achieve this by showing off your personality a bit more. What's not written is just as important as what is not written in these kind of essays.

Otherwise I loved it Heather! I don't see many essays of this nature here, and it was a joy to read!
~Hightop

The best and most beautiful things in the world can not be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
— Helen Keller