z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Violence Mature Content

Flares

by MasterGrieves


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

RAWR!

Lice!
Lice!
Lice!

And flares go off!
And flares go off!
And flares go off!
And off go flares!

I tiptoed to the water's edge
Without hesitation, I jumped in!
Cleansed myself of a stickman's gift
The tectonics then started to shift!
All good in theory but one fatal mistake:
My skin itched, ears started to ache!
I killed myself again and again
Rolling in my own shit like a pig's pen!

And flares go off!
And flares go off!
And flares go off!
And off go flares!

The fire from the flares woke me up
The water drained, at the bottom of a cup!
Cried myself to sleep when the film reel ceased
I meant nothing for I was deceased!
Prayers of resurrection and forgiveness
Echoed the backdrop of unfinished business!
I couldn't comprehend the repetitive strain
Existence traded me for another stain!

And flares go off!
And flares go off!
And flares go off!
And off go flares!

RAWR!

Lice!
Lice!
Lice!

Lice were eating my hair alive
Maggots orchestrated meals on my thighs
I was the buffet, the scarecrow's meal
The light from the flares seemed all too real
I quickly stabbed myself in the face
To find myself in a familiar place
Gripped on the bedsheets, papa close by
"JUST A NIGHTMARE" he said, "NO NEED TO CRY!"

Or wasn't it a nightmare......?
Or was there a need to cry.....?

Papa's face dropped when he saw I was ok
He snatched my pillow, pressed it up to my face!
He whipped something strange out of his pockets
And suddenly his eyes popped out of his sockets!
What I thought was a knife was my teddy bear
Muffled screams but my papa still didn't care!
Mommy died last night and the proxy fulfilled
I guess I'll join her inside a flaming pit in Hell!
Hell!
Hell!
Hell!

And flares go off!
And flares go off!
And flares go off!
And off go flares!

RAWR!

Lice!
Lice!
Lice!

RAWR!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
413 Reviews


Points: 11009
Reviews: 413

Donate
Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:53 pm
Cailey wrote a review...



So I'm reading this thinking, "what in the world? Is this just like, a crazy poem or does it have some deeper meaning that I just didn't catch because I'm not the best poetry reader?" And I read the whole thing, and was still thinking "what?" and then I'm all like, "who in the world wrote this?" And I go up and read your name and it all made sense. :)
I love how your poetry always causes such a turmoil of emotion inside of me. :D

I also, aside from your name, failed to notice the warning at the top. I'm not 18 yet. And I read this. Those warnings should be bigger. You just corrupted my formerly innocent mind. Way to go.

Yeah, review. Stop getting distracted, Cailey! I love this stanza:
"Lice were eating my hair alive
Maggots orchestrated meals on my thighs
I was the buffet, the scarecrow's meal
The light from the flares seemed all too real
I quickly stabbed myself in the face
To find myself in a familiar place
Gripped on the bedsheets, papa close by
"JUST A NIGHTMARE" he said, "NO NEED TO CRY!""

Love the imagery and I got shivers because just reading this makes my entire body itch and I can practically feel lice in my head, but I promise I don't actually have lice or maggots.

However, the exclamation points in the rest of this poem are a little bit distracting. I think they fit well in the flares chorus part, and in the repetition of lice, but in the bigger stanzas they're a little bit distracting and make it hard to read.
And then it seemed like as you kept writing you just ignored punctuation completely, like in the above stanza that I said was my favorite.

The last stanza was a bit confusing, too. I just, I feel unresolved, like I don't completely understand what happened. But maybe I'm just not smart enough for your songs. :)

And I was thinking that I didn't really like the first verse, but I couldn't figure out why. I guess it's almost too quick to read, like I didn't even have a chance to figure out what I was reading because it just kept going. And maybe that's the exclamation marks. And maybe that's what you meant it to sound like.
But I figured out that part of it is just that the first two lines don't rhyme, but all the rest of it and the other verses do.
"I tiptoed to the water's edge
Without hesitation, I jumped in!"
Edge and in don't rhyme. Now that I noticed that it explains why I didn't like the first stanza. So there you go. There's my review.

I hope you enjoyed and maybe even found it helpful.
Do you have lice?
The end.
-Knight Cailey.




User avatar
50 Reviews


Points: 2243
Reviews: 50

Donate
Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:56 am
GigiHarris wrote a review...



Er... I really don't get it :|
I mean... there is this nightmare about lice? |:
This seems like comical lyrics. But how is this horror?
Well if you meant it to fall under "Horror" genre, you didn't express it properly.
I really don't know how to judge this :|
But keep writing!
~Gigi




User avatar
394 Reviews


Points: 16710
Reviews: 394

Donate
Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:41 pm
KnightTeen wrote a review...



This is one of the three reviews that you will receive from a Green Room Knight.

I don't really know what to make of this since I'm not entirely sure that I understand your narrative.

This is labeled under, "Lyrics," but since I don't know if this is a song or not I can't really get the rhythm.

The rhythm that I imagined was pretty cool though.

While the grammar is good, as I said, I don't really understand your narrative.
I mean, I get what you said in the stanzas, I understand that part. But how does that in any way relate to flares? That's the part that I don't understand.

And don't even get me started on your rhymes. They are all over the place, some of them don't compliment each other, or they simply aren't there at all.

As for your narrative, while I understand it, it doesn't make sense. It's like you picked four subjects out of a hat and tried to relate them to one another.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this.

I think I kind of like how your lyrics are crazy. But at the same time the grammar Nazi in me is screaming, "Run away! Run away!"

All-in-all, I think that you wrote this very well.

KT




User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 245
Reviews: 5

Donate
Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:32 am
janecontraire says...



GUYS SHUT UP I REALLY LIKED THIS POEM YOU SHALLOW DORKS!!!!!

I thought it was really good. Nirvana was a hit band and their lyrics often made less sense than these. They're fun and awesome, like the ramblings of a madman that's actually a genius. I really liked it, people being shallow confused idiots shouldn't post on here. Be proud of these lyrics, I like them.




User avatar
621 Reviews


Points: 4984
Reviews: 621

Donate
Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:50 pm
Rook wrote a review...



Hello Ajt!
You told me to read this a while ago and I never did. So here I am.
Personally, I liked the "One man's trash is another man's Marigold" (I dunno if that's the exact title) better than this one, just so you can get a sense of what kind of thing I do like.
You seemed to have a fever of ideas you were trying to write down all at the same time. Usually I think of Flares as a cry of help, or celebration, like for independence day. Here they appear to be something else.
This poem seemed silly and violent. Or like someone was doing drugs and trying to write poetry at the same time. I dunno. I don't know where you got all these lice from, they don't seem to match the muddled story line at all.
The way this is laid out makes it seem like a ton of unconnected events. You're in a river, then you're in mud or something, then you're in fire, then you're in bed, then fire again...

Then your rhyming... Oh, I'm sorry aj, but that is atrocious. In most places the rhymes are forced beyond belief, in others, the rhyme scheme has completely dissolved.... It's not pretty. Maybe it would sound okay with music, but That doesn't make up for the forced rhymes. Basically, I feel like half of your poem what what you had to say to make it rhyme, and you never got your full point across.

Speaking of which, I don't see the point at all in this. Not to say every poem/song has to have a point or a moral, but usually people like them to tell a story, describe feelings, give them a new perspective, have really beautiful images involved, or at least vivid images. I didn't get any real imagery, and this might be something about your feelings, but it just got muddled in the words and I don't know how to feel afterward. Angry? It sounds like the music that would go to this would be angry-ish music, but that might just be from the all-caps RAWR!

I feel like if you dissected this poem and took all the good parts out and threw the rest away, the separated the good parts into other, separate poems, you would have several really nice poems. But together like this.... I didn't like it. Sorry to sound harsh, if I do.

One part I did like was "I cleansed myself of a stickman's gift" because I don't really know what a stickman is, but I was imagining the guy who guides boats along by using really long poles. I was intrigued by what kind of gift that person would give someone else.
I also liked the part about you being a feast. I dunno. That part had nice imagery and seemed to fit the description of "horror" better than most other things in this poem. It also kind of tied in the "lice" part which seemed kind of random.

I'm sorry for my rambling, I hope this helped you in some way or another.
~Fortis

Oh, this was for that quest for a library thingy. FOR THE KNIGHTS OF THE GREEN ROOM! HUZZAH!




User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 522
Reviews: 20

Donate
Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:36 pm
Deanz says...



I agree with dragonfphenix... this poem was very confusing indeed.. It felt like you concentrated on many topics at once and sort of lumped them all together and added some dramatic exclaimed words at the end.. Don't take this the wrong way.. I just don't grasp the significance of this piece. Keep writing though :) . I look forward to reading some more of your work. Hopefully the up coming pieces are more clear .




User avatar
254 Reviews


Points: 11196
Reviews: 254

Donate
Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:30 pm
Sonder wrote a review...



RAWR! You copied me! RAWRING IS MY THING.
*ahem* Sorry. To the review. I think you know my name already, so I shall skip the whole, "Hey writer, Griffin here to review this lovely piece of work!" spiel.

So. You just decided to go all out with the mature content, violence, and language here, huh? Eh, I liked it. ^-^ Just wondering, these are lyrics, correct? I was singing (kinda screaming) the words in my head, so I think it fits. :P
I liked the flow, and the lyrics, though violent, were really good. My favorite;

Lice were eating my hair alive
Maggots orchestrated meals on my thighs
I was the buffet, the scarecrow's meal
The light from the flares seemed all too real


I really liked the "scarecrow's meal" thing. What are the flares? I felt that there was some symbolism in this, and a few small snippets of stories. I'd like to hear the background for this.
The only part I didn't understand was the dad part. That confused me. First he was comforting you, then killing you...? *shrugs* I still liked the nightmare feel to this.
Overall, I really liked this piece. You write really good lyrics. The RAWRING was a nice touch, even if you did steal it from me. ^-^

Keep writing and being awesome!

~GC




User avatar
508 Reviews


Points: 11370
Reviews: 508

Donate
Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:27 pm
dragonfphoenix wrote a review...



Um...I'm confused. What's this poem supposed to mean? It felt like you were writing something dirty just for the sake of its dirtiness. I'm really confused. Something just felt off here. If you were going for horror, you didn't come across that way. At all. I'm really, really confused. You go on from one 'horror' to the next, yet from where we came, or why we go, you don't say. I needed more than I was given, and yet less than what you gave me. I'm really, really confused.
*grins* I just felt like using echo like you did.
Hope this helps!





We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
— William Shakespeare