16+

women and mother earth (ch-1)

by rishabh

Ch-1

Women and Mother Earth

A woman plays many characters in her life. She is mother, wife, sister, grandmother and the most important she is the medium, which connects every peaceful soul with the second world. Similarly, we call ‘Earth’ our mother. This symbolism, somewhere, shows the direct link between Mother Earth and Women. In this book, I am trying to prove my mind’s statement that the condition of ‘Women’ and ‘Mother Earth’ is same. Both are facing tough time in our country and in other countries as well. In few parts of the world, the status of women and earth is giving us some relief. However, in India (a youth nation), this status is declining meteorically. As Indians, we forget that by doing violence against our nation’s women, we are destroying our own country’s existence from the world map. In the same manner, we are not behind in knocking down our mother Earths’ existence as well, from the universe. We are illicitly taking out the sand from the riverbanks, dumping the industrial waste in holy rivers, fucking the nation and nature’s development for few dollars and Euros. What the fuck we are doing? We call ourselves incredible in govt advertisement. Nevertheless, the actuality says that we are not. We ‘Indians’ are fucking assholes. We apply our brains when everything happens. My straight question to Indian audience is that why we are so work-shy in maintaining good status for women and mother earth in our country. Maybe, 125 crore population together can’t be able to answer this fucking question. That’s why, I want to show you something, may be it will help you a bit in answering my question. Two months ago, when I was framing a plot for this book, I read one article online. It is a very beautiful article posted by Judith Plant. I am inserting this article as it is and no plagiarism involved in this, so enjoy this article and think for the answer after reading the entire piece.

Let see what Judith says:

“Women and Nature

By- Judith Plant

This extract is taken ‘from ‘Green line’ magazine (oxford). Not dated, but late 1980’s. It was reprinted in ‘The Green Reader’.

Women have long been associated with nature- metaphorically as in ‘mother Earth’ for instance.Our language says it all: a ‘virgin’ forest is one awaiting exploitation, as yet untouched by man. In society too, women have been associated to physical side of life. Our role has always been closer to nature, our natural work centred around human physical requirements: eating, sex, cleaning, taking care of children and sick people. We have taken care of day-to-day life so that men have been able to go ‘out into the world’, to creates and enact methods of exploiting nature, including other human beings. Then return to a home-life, which waits in readiness (A man’s home is his castle). Historically, women have had no real power in the outside world, no place in decision-making. Intellectual life, the work of the mind, has traditionally not been accessible to women- due in part to society’s either/or mentality, coupled with a valuing of the spiritual over the natural. Women have been generally passive, as has seen nature. Today however, ecology speaks for the earth, for the ‘other’ in human/ environmental relationships; and Ecofeminism, by speaking for the original others, seeks to understand the interconnected roots of all domination, and ways to resist and change…

Before the world was mechanised and industrialised, the metaphor that explained self, society and the cosmos was the image of the organism. This is not surprising since most people were connected with the earth in their daily lives, being peasants and living a subsistence existence. The earth was seen as female. And with two faces: one, the passive and nurturing mother; other wild and uncontrollable. Thus the earth, giver and supporter of life, was symbolised by woman, as was the image of nature as disorder, with her storms, droughts and other natural disasters.

These images served as cultural restraints. The earth was seen to be alive, sensitive; it was considered unethical to do violence towards her. Who could conceive of killing a mother or of digging into her body for gold or mutilating her? In relation to mining, people believed that minerals and metals ripened in the uterus of the earth; they compared mines to mother Earth’s vagina and metallurgy itself was an abortion of the metal’s natural growth cycle.

So rituals were carried out by miners; offering to the gods of the soil and the subterranean world, ceremonial sacrifices, sexual abstinence and fasting were conducted and observed before violating what was considered to be the sacred earth….

The organic metaphor that once explained everything was replaced by mechanical images….

The new images were of controlling and dominating: having power over nature. Where the nurturing image had once been a cultural constraint, the new images of mastery allowed the clearing of forests and the damning of rivers. Nature as unlimited resource is epitomised today by scarred hillsides, uranium mine tailings poisoning river systems, toxic waste and human junk floating in space.

On theory bases this propensity for domination over nature on the human fear that nature is more powerful than human beings. By subduing and controlling nature, society thus can assume power over life. Women, with their biological connections with life giving are constant reminder of the reality of human mortality. Thus patriarchal society, based on a view that subjugated nature to the spirit of man (sic), also subjugated women….

Once we understand the historical connections between women and nature and their subsequent oppression, we cannot help but take a stand on the war against nature. By participating in environmental standoffs against those who are assuming the right to control the natural world, we are helping to create an awareness of dominations at all levels. From this perspective, consensus decisions making and non-hierarchal organization become accepted facts of life.

Ecofeminism gives women and men common ground. While women may have been associated with nature, this does not mean that somehow they have been socialised in a different world from men. Women have learned to think in same dualities as men, and we feel just as alienated as do our brothers. The social system isn’t good for either- or both- of us. Yet we are the social system. We need some common ground from which to be critically self-conscious, to enable us to recognise and affect the deep structure of our relations, with each other and with the environment.

In addition to participating in forms of resistance, such as non-violent civil disobedience, we can also encourage, support and develop within our communities a cultural life which celebrates the many differences in nature, and which encourage reflection on the consequences of our actions, in all our relations…..

Women’s values, centred around life giving, must be re-valued and elevated from their once-subordinate role. What women know from experience needs recognition and respect. We have had generations of experience in conciliation, dealing with interpersonal conflicts daily in domestic life. We know how to feel for others because we have been socialised that way.

At the same time, our work tending to human physical requirements has been undervalued. As discussed earlier, what has been considered material and physical has been thought to be ‘less than’ the intellectual, the ‘outside’ (of home) world. Women have been very much affected by this devaluation and this is reflected in our images of ourselves and our attitudes towards our work. Men too have been alienated from childcare and all the rest of daily domestic which very much nurtures all who participate. Our society has devalued the source of its humanness. Home is the theatre of our human ecology, and it is here that we can effectively think feelingly. Bio-relegionalism, essentially, is attempting to rebuild human and natural community. We know that it is non-adaptive to repeat the social organisation, which left women and children alone, at home, and men out in the world doing ‘important’ work. The real work is at home. As part of this process, women and nature, indeed humans, and nature need a new image of ourselves as we mend our relations with each other and with the earth. Such an image will surely reflect what we are learning through the study of ecology, what we are coming to understand through feminism, and that we are experiencing by participating in the bioregional project. Much depend on us, on our determination to make things different and to take a stand.”

I hope you enjoyed a lot. So, now are you able to get the answers? Is Judith plant’s article worthy enough? My basic idea behind inserting this piece is to promote such type of articles in India, so that our Indian women get the real empowerment and Indian men change their fucking mindset.

Deanie wrote a review...

Hey there,

Hmm I have mixed feelings about this first chapter. Let me begin at the beginning though, with the beginning paragraph. I can already tell you have a strong sense of what you want for India, and why you want it there. I get this from Operation Imperial and this. You want to help improve your country, and this comes out in your writing. It's nice to see such a good strong personality of yours shine through.

Technical difficulties were not my main problem with this chapter. My main problem was that it was not much of a chapter at all! The majority of it was an info dump. An info dump is where the author floods the reader with a lot of background information, without entwining it into the story at all. The reader usually becomes bored. I mean, who picks up a fiction book and wants to see a lot of non-fiction like stuff? Not me, I can tell you. I'm interested in knowing what's happening to the characters now, and a little bit about them. I don't want to know too much because then it seems like bla bla bla and I start skipping over.

So, my advice for this is to make this more of a story. I want an introduction to some interesting characters! The beginning of a plot coming along! Maybe the first paragraph should remain (you should split it into two paragraphs though because it is a bit long.) But get rid of too much information. The beginning paragraph was enough to cover it all in my opinion!

Let me know like you do for Operation Imperial! I'll keep reading :)

Deanie x

rishabh says...

this is non-fiction and not a fiction, i am writing a good non-fiction......so please read other chapters also and tell me how it is going!

Deanie says...

Oh Rishabh! Then I am very sorry :) It helps if when you choose the category you also make sure you select non-fiction! I will keep reading and hopefully write more appropriate reviews ^^

rishabh says...

dont say sorry deanie. you are my very good friend and reviewer as well. you are too good. no thanks and sorry in friendship.

KnightTeen wrote a review...

Hi, this is your friendly neighborhood HomeschooledTeen here for a review.

Misspellings/Grammar errors

We call ourselves incredible in govt advertisement.

Maybe, 125 crore population together can’t be able to answer this fucking question.

I'm not sure about the exact spelling here since I have no indication as to what you were saying.

This extract is taken ‘from ‘Green line’ magazine (oxford).

Oxford should be capitalized.

Women have long been associated with nature- metaphorically as in ‘mother Earth’ for instance.Our language says it all

Missed spacing between the period and "Our".

Our role has always been closer to nature, our natural work centered around human physical requirements:

Before the world was mechanized and industrialized,

Thus the earth, giver and supporter of life, was symbolized by woman,

Nature as unlimited resource is epitomized today by scarred hillsides,

this does not mean that somehow they have been socialized in a different world from men.

to enable us to recognize and affect the deep structure of our relations,

Women’s values, centered around life giving,

We know how to feel for others because we have been socialized that way.

Bio-regionalism, essentially, is attempting to rebuild human and natural community.

We know that it is non-adaptive to repeat the social organization,

I don't know if you copy-pasted this into your publishing center, but if you did then none of these errors are your fault. If you did not however, then the main problem you had was where you used the letter S where you should have used the letter Z.

I think that you presented you topic very well and argued your point in such a manner that I find myself agreeing with you.

This however, does not really feel like a literary work. I personally think that it belongs in the forums or on your YWS blog.

One last thing, due to extensive use of the F-bomb, you need to bump your rating up to 18+ and add a language warning.

rishabh says...

yeah i wrote this workpeice in MS WORD and then directly copied and pasted into my publishing center. Thanks for your valuable review.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:30 pm
MysteryMe wrote a review...

I really enjoyed reading this. It's very true and shows a darker side to humanity, one that includes the horrible treatment of things that we value less than ourselves. Your writing style is very sophisticated and intelligent, and in writing something like this that is very important. Very interesting :)

rishabh says...

thnx mystery me. really i like your review..........and tnx for reviewing as well......

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:01 pm
TanyaStender says...

It's really good :)

rishabh says...

tnx tanya!

Maybe I should say something quote-worthy, like, I dunno... "You can only be happy if you decide to be happy?"
— Necromancer14