My Own Swagger

by Willard

That god damn Rim fire won’t stop. It’s been like 5 days, and there is a huge smoke cloud straight over my area. The funny thing is, the fire is 3 hours away. Thanks a lot, who ever started the fire. It was probably started naturally. I bet it was.

I do tend to think a lot when I am all by myself. It is currently 8 o’ clock on a Saturday night. I’m acting like a man about to shoot up a house. Black coat, pants, running, and wearing a ski mask holding something suspicious. I was just kidding, why would I run? I’m not serious about that, I would never kill anyone.

Cars pass with their blinding lights on. Usually they honk at me because I am basically walking on the bike lane line. Hell, even a guy pulled over and yelled at me. He said “You can get ran over if you do that again!” Guess what my response was?

“You can blow me.”

I love talking crap, as it is adrenaline to my veins. It makes me feel like Alex Rodriquez when I do it, as it makes me stronger. My natural trait is smartass, and I carried it all through my life. Most people would think something along the lines of “This kid probably fails in school.” Well, that is like saying water is not wet. I am in NJHS, Advanced English, and Advanced Math. It’s my weird sense of humor.

It’s 8:17, 13 minutes until I do it. For my level of ballsy, I don’t have enough balls to do this. Only a person with an IQ of 79 would do this, as it was two brain dead idiots with that IQ who put me up to this. It is supposed to help my problem of never kissing a girl. The only problem is that her boyfriend will hunt me down during school and fight me straight on the spot. That guy came straight out of the gardening shed, too.

I find a bush half a block away from the house. I sit down and start texting those two idiots. They told me I have to do it, or I will die forever alone. That’s pretty nice when you tell that to a friend. I think it is cold hearted, but they think it’s really hilarious.

“Hey, Fred!"

“Yeah Bob?”

“You’re going to get your teeth kicked in if you don’t do this!”

It’s time. I walk halfway to the house, and then I stop. I pull out a knife and put it to the skin on my hand. One crocodile, two crocodile, three! The knife proceeds to cut the skin off my hand. It felt like a butter knife going through butter, but when I did this it hurt like a bitch. Hurry, I have to make it there. I sprint down to the house, ring the door bell, and fell straight on the ground.

They opened the door while I was crying in fetal position. They asked me for help, when I said yes. Her mom handed me some bandages and brought me inside. She was inside, watching Teen Wolf re-runs. Her jaw dropped as she saw tears coming from my eyes and blood dripping on the floor. You know what that means? I can beat out teenage girl porn.

She led me into her room. It’s all girly and pink. Just like my personality. We sat down on her bed and started talking. When we were talking she suddenly said “I know you’re depressed, Will. You’re probably the cutest and nicest guy that I know. Why are you depressed?” I stared into her eyes while trying to think up the most reasonable idea that I can come up with. I sighed then replied “Cute? Only stoners and tools are “cute”. I do agree with the personality part though, as I am extremely sexy in that. You always say you don’t need a relationship in eighth grade, but I do. It’s hard when I am not a generic social bastard.”

She starts laughing and then hugs me. I hope she’s ok with my dripping blood as I never cared to put bandages on. She then lets go. “I really like you.” She said then she kisses me. It’s probably pity like, but then she kisses me again. I kiss back, but not the world’s best kiss because I only ever practiced on my pillow. The dare was to propose to her in front of her parents but this is close enough.

Their parents then saw us kissing then escorted me out of the house. I walk out the door, then remember one thing. I forgot the bandages. I go crazy and bang on the doors. They threw the bandages on me, and I start walking home. I got my first kiss, and probably a girlfriend. She better not pull a Coming-Of-Age film on me and say it was for sympathy.

It has been two days since the eventful night, and I didn't get the girl.Her boyfriend SwaggyMcBroYolo found out and her didn't take it well. He tackled me while I was at my locker. I managed to elbow him in the face and sending his face to the locker. I wasn’t suspended, but he was. It was a happy ending, as I have been magically cured of my depression. One thing needs to be done though.

I’m at the football field fiddling with my phone. The phone went to it’s default playlist titled “Movie perfect moments.” I play the third song on the list, behind Eye of The Tiger and I Will Always Love You. I start walking through the field with my fist held high in the air while “Don’t You (Forget about me)” by Simple Minds plays.

Vex15 wrote a review...

This is very, very long... confusing too. And the language- there are other younger writers on here who would not like to see or read that. And you're taking the Lord's name in vain- that very much offends me as well as others who get frustrated with hearing that.
Please revise because the swearing and disrespect of religion bothers me. Really, I would use the word, different from others... I don't like to read writing that is filled with the certain "obvious mistakes" made above.

Willard says...

Stop.

Hi there! Lucrezia here for a review.

Yeah, I realize this is from August. I'm planning on systematically devouring some portfolios before Review Day's over. XD

Okay, let me start by staying this was great! Very realistic, the character development was awesome, the dialogue was good, and the pacing was nice. Also, storyline? Simple, yet delicious all at once.

I loved the mention of "Don't You (Forget About Me)" at the end there, too. Perfect. It fit the story nicely. ;)

Anyway! The realism/relatable charm of this is off the charts. Also, it's hilarious. Like, really really really funny. So, props for that.

I do have some nitpicks, though:

and brought me inside. She was inside, watching Teen Wolf re-runs.

"Inside" is repetitive here. Also, I believe "Teen Wolf" should be written in italics.

“I know you’re depressed, Will. You’re probably the cutest and nicest guy that I know. Why are you depressed?” I stared into her eyes while trying to think up the most reasonable idea that I can come up with. I sighed then replied “Cute? Only stoners and tools are “cute”. I do agree with the personality part though, as I am extremely sexy in that. You always say you don’t need a relationship in eighth grade, but I do. It’s hard when I am not a generic social bastard.”

I'd put in a paragraph break after the girl's dialogue and before the MC's response. Also, when he says "cute" with the quotes, it should be singular quotes ('cute') rather than double ("cute").

(By the way, love the "generic social bastard" line.)

Their parents then saw us kissing then escorted me out of the house.

"Then" is repetitive here.

Besides for that, this was pretty flawless. And yeah, I don't really expect you to go back and edit this after having posted it so long ago. But I had to point out the nitpicks, anyway. XD

Okay! Great work, keep writing, and keep reviewing! You're catching up to AE verrrry quickly.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:27 am
veeren wrote a review...

Well then, this was both fabulous and ridiculously annoying at the same time.
I'll give you my thoughts after these nitpicks.

That god damn Rim fire won’t stop.

God damn is one word when written in a novel. That and this paragraph doesn't seem to make much sense to me when it's put together with the rest of the story. You talk about some fire that doesn't play any role in anything at all. If it was to introduce the MC, it didn't work very well either.

“You can get ran over if you do that again!” Guess what my response was?

“You can blow me.”

Your formatting with dialogue in general is kind of wacky. Every separate person speaking must have their own paragraph of dialogue, as in theirs a line in between each. This mistake is made near the end when Mr. Man get's into the girls room and they talk to one another. The dialogue must be separated.

SwaggyMcBroYolo

Now that is funny stuff right there.

The rest of the issues are minor and can be erased with simple work on grammar and such.
As for the piece itself, it feels incomplete. It doesn't seem like there's a point to it. As I'm not sure if this is a small part of a larger text, I can't say for sure, but from your classification I don't think it is.

Speaking of classification, you should put a rating on this for language. It's not very intense, but a general warning for readers would be useful.

Otherwise this piece was alright. It was definitely a short story, it just needs some fleshing out. Try expanding on the idea. Give more personality to the characters, make the setting more vibrant, make the plot more juicy. It has potential, trust me, it just need some work.

You're on your way, keep on writing, and keep up the good work.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:37 am
birk wrote a review...

Hey Mandrake!

It's been a while since I reviewed a work of yours, so its time.

First off, even though I love your ironic series of works, writing with weird twists as well as works based on films, its great that you evolve even further and draw inspiration from your own life and experiences.

While it is a pretty short story in length, its pretty much all you would need to leave your readers with a smirk. Your ending is exactly what I would expect from you at this point, and you don't disappoint.

However though, I'll go through some stuff I would comment on:

Alright, first problem I encountered; You mention several things I don't know what is. In fact, I had to google rim fire and Alex Rodriquez.

edit

whoever started the fire

Black coat, pants, running, and wearing a ski mask holding something suspicious. I was just kidding, why would I run? I’m not serious about that, I would never kill anyone.
I had to read this line several times, and it only makes sense once you have read the rest of the story. I like the "Why would I run" though. Love random humor.

edit
You can get run over

He says his natural trait is being a smartass, but I don't really consider it one. Debatable though.

That guy came straight out of the gardening shed, too.

What? Where does this line come from? Not sure what you mean here.

“Hey, Fred!"

“Yeah Bob?”

Alright, is this dialogue or is it the text messages? I'm guessing its text messages, but the format is weird. But, I still have no idea what is happening. If you start the conversation with "Hey Fred!" (also an uneccessary comma there), then he follows up with "Yeah Bob?", the next natural thing would be for you to say something. But the next dialogue is "You're going to get your teeth kicked in if you don't do this!", which you of course wouldn't say yourself. But then again, later in the story we find out your name is Will....so yeah, I'm clueless.

The knife proceeds to cut the skin off my hand.

I'm sure you mean cut into your hand. Unless you are doing a peeling motion. Which I'd advise against.

They asked me for help, when I said yes.

Did they ask you for help? What did they need help with? And shouldn't they be helping you?

Teen Wolf re-runs.

One thing you don't need help doing is finding out what to bash. You do that perfectly.

The rest of the story have no concernable errors, outside of not being too realistic. She even randomly dumps her boyfriend for a new guy during such a short timespan...
But thats okay, because we are now at the absolute best part of your short:
SwaggyMcBroYolo

Oh my god, I haven't laughed this hard at a word before. It pretty much sums everything up. I can see myself using this word. Unless you have it copyrighted. (Which you can't.)

Your ending is awesome. I said I didn't expect less earlier.

Cheers
Birkhoff

Willard says...

Thanks for the review :). I basically called that guy a tool (Out of the gardening shed). But, thanks. :)

The most important service rendered by the press and the magazines is that of educating people to approach printed matter with distrust.
— Samuel Butler