z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

What Penguins Really Think

by Willard


I hate this suit.

I hate living on this icy land.

I'm very cold.

One day I'll get that Batman!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
415 Reviews


Points: 31520
Reviews: 415

Donate
Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:20 pm
keystrings says...



That was beautiful. My friend and I were dying of laughter right now.




User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 279
Reviews: 34

Donate
Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:15 am



And im also really surprised that so many people dont get the batman reference to be honest! Like if you don't get a simple batman reference you probably shouldn't be on a literature site lol




User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 279
Reviews: 34

Donate
Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:10 am



while reading the first few lines I didnt actually expect the ending! It was good I would have liked to see it extended a bit more. Like maybe giving hints leading up to the end that you were talking about the other penguin not the animal penguin. But overall I think it's really creative! Good job :)




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 927
Reviews: 14

Donate
Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:49 pm
americanidol82 wrote a review...



I don't really get the Batman thing in the end. I also don't see how the suit fits in. I mean I get how some penguins where the suits, but if this is realistic then I don't know if it really should be in there. It is a little on the odd side for a poem, but what the heck, it is none the less amusing. It is so short it leaves you somewhat wanting more, yet somewhat confused, so oh well.




User avatar
70 Reviews


Points: 9
Reviews: 70

Donate
Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:54 pm
Pan says...



i can warm u strange???




User avatar
104 Reviews


Points: 25731
Reviews: 104

Donate
Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:51 pm
JayeCShore wrote a review...



Hi, J.C. here for a review!

Well, not much to review here.

Though it's short, and practically pointless, I did get a small kick out of it. So, in an effort to actually get a review out of this review, I'll dissect the poem into it's individual parts.

I hate this suit.


It appears to me that the penguin is unhappy with its skin. That is what you meant by "suit," isn't it? I surely hope so. But in any case, I can see how this might be plausible. I mean, who would want to wander around in a black wand white straight jacket all the time. Doesn't sound very comfortable to me.

I hate living in this icy land.


I hate the cold, and the snow, so I can relate with this poor little guy. He has to go through a lot just to make a decent living down there, I mean, what with all the Polar Bears chasing after him and such.

I'm very cold.


This is, perhaps, the best line of the poem. So simplistic, yet complicated in it's very nature. You take three words, (four if you break up the conjunction,) and craft them into a brilliant spark full of meaning and life and soul. "I'm very cold." Doesn't it just make you want to run down there and start handing out electric blankets? That poor guy. He's so cold he can't even explain his symptoms. Just, "I'm very cold."

One day I'll get that Batman!


The unfortunate part is I fail to see how Batman fits into all of this? I mean, what did he do to the penguins. Why are you judging? Discriminating? Or perhaps it's just the penguin? It seems that he may have gotten a hold of the comic and is angry about the oh so famous saying, "It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." Yah, the penguin can't change that. Heck, he can't do much except waddle around.

Once again, poor little guy.

Thank you Strange!

#D65F54 ">- JC -


#TheFaultInOurReviews




User avatar
433 Reviews


Points: 13351
Reviews: 433

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:38 pm
TakeThatYouFiend wrote a review...



Hello! The fiend of paint the roses red to review your poemlet!
This poem suits your name perfectly, and it is really hard to review, because is so totally light-hearted nothing can be taken seriously enough to review! However, despite this, I will try.
The title really drew me into this poem, basically, because PENGUIN! And the same result should be achieved by all the other penguin fans on YWS. (In any other society with the same number of members penguin fans could be counted on one hand, but here I think they make up a substantial percentage. )
However on top of this you have included a clever plot twist, which took me completely by surprise! This is also widely know, just through common knowledge as much as by batman films, and you have mercifully refrained from including any confusing batman references (unless you have and I haven't noticed them, if so equally well done).
I am really supprised I have written so much on such a short humourous poem!
Yours witteringly,
Take That You Fiend!
(Go red go red go red go red!)




User avatar
103 Reviews


Points: 5041
Reviews: 103

Donate
Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:00 am
KittyCatMeow wrote a review...



Hello, Strange. XD You aren't really strange though.

I'm here today to review your work, so hey, do you feel special?

Well, to begin, I love how this is short, and it doesn't use excessive words to explain what's going on in the story. The only thing that bothered me is that the rhythm and flow don't really seem to like this poem, so that's a somewhat large problem. Also, it is very pessimistic, so try to be more positive!

I hate this suit.


Why the suit? In fact, I don't believe that penguins wears suits. Just wearing a coat that looks like a suit.

I hate living on this icy land.


The best line I believe in fact. It clearly explains the setting, and it also tells the penguin LIVING in the icy land.

I'm very cold.


A penguin's coat is designed to withstand the cold so hey! Logic here!

One day I'll get that Batman!


This whole entire line would probably be better off deleted. It doesn't make much sense, doesn't add to the flow, and sounds forced. Not too funny if you ask me.

This is short, but that does, at some point, bring it to make it a little worse than I could be. However, overall, this is truly original, and I'd like to see more work coming from you!

Keep writing! ;) :) ;)




Willard says...


If I delete the last line, this "poem" wouldn't be under humor. I'm very cold was supposed to make no sense. The last line made sense as it was a Batman reference to one of the villains. I'm sorry I made a bad poem. This is a nonsense poem that is supposed to be absurd. My poem is what it should be. Thanks



User avatar


Points: 417
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:39 pm
TaKairee99 wrote a review...



hi I am takairee and I have just started reviewing peoples work and I am glad I chose this one to review. this poem is very funny because he hates everything about being a penguin. I really love the way you made it so funny without adding all those extra words. my favorite part is when the penguin says that one day heel get batman. at first it took me a while to understand it until I thought about batman's enemies and remembered that one of them called themselves penguin. I think that this is creative and I encourage you to keep writing. and I will try to review some more of your work. and maybe one day you can read my work:)




User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 433
Reviews: 37

Donate
Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:50 pm
Jcsmooth says...



Best thing i've seen all day




User avatar
146 Reviews


Points: 17572
Reviews: 146

Donate
Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:15 am
MooCowPoop wrote a review...



Haha, that was cute! This penguin is quite the grumpy little one, isn't he? He seems to hate everything about his life. "I hate this suit/ I hate living on this icy land/ Im very cold". Who would have known how sucky a penguin's life truly is without this poem?

At first, I was little confused about the last line, so I had to read it again. But then I realized that there's that one penguin guy who doesn't like Batman ( I don't pay attention to many comics, although I love X-Men. I admit it, I am lame) and so when I understood it, I giggled even more than when I read the poem the first time. Nice poem! And congrats on this, since in the description thingy you said it is your second shot at writing poems. Congrats! :)




User avatar


Points: 784
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:12 pm
emalik wrote a review...



A humor filled peom about what a penguin thinks. Which to tell you the truth isn't alot. One day i will get that batman!!! Peguins are very dull stupid creatures that live in the antartica and other places in the world. This peguin lives somewhere very cold where I would not want to live. A funny peice of work I laughed my head off. Which really means I smiled.




User avatar
70 Reviews


Points: 4731
Reviews: 70

Donate
Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:34 pm
AfterTheStorm says...



Haha! xD This was great. <3




User avatar
562 Reviews


Points: 719
Reviews: 562

Donate
Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:10 am
Button says...



Not usually a fan of the humor stuff but aaaaah <3




Willard says...


:D



User avatar
394 Reviews


Points: 16710
Reviews: 394

Donate
Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:20 pm
KnightTeen wrote a review...



Nice, very funny DSL.

However, I think that you could use some punctuation, and there is one grammar mistake.

One day i'll get that Batman


'I's are always capitalized when they stand alone (and yes, I know that essentially this doesn't, but you get what I mean.)

Is each line supposed to be a sentence? If so, use some periods. I don't really care if you use any commas or not, but at least one period to signify the end of the work is needed.

I'm always surprised at how much humor we can pack into a few sentences. Very good work.

Peace,
Love,
and Pixie Dust,

HT






And I must admit, this was not what I was expecting.



User avatar
110 Reviews


Points: 6441
Reviews: 110

Donate
Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:50 pm
Gardevite says...



Wow was not expecting that anyway :L





Perfect kindness acts without thinking of kindness.
— Lao Tse