A Worrisome Heart of Something Great

by liamlopez44

I lie here with a heartfelt pain sunk into my stomach, the good ole lifted plant, and bottles of vodka and rum with nothing more than a drip to its name. To think all the drugs and the alcohol is a coping arrangement for my problems is the correct assumption, if it takes the gut feeling away temporarily then I will drink and smoke my nights away. This could be your stereotypical heartbreak or it could tell the tale of a broken heart yearning not to be broken anymore, the paths it takes to for a loving man to truly discover love. The heart only endures amounts of pain before it shuts down and this heart is at the very peak. Maybe it’s one of those tests God puts upon a strong man, maybe God longs me for something great and this is nothing but the process. Til the day this “something great” becomes believable and the false hope I’m grasping onto is no more than a previous idea, my petty little heart will stay in heart dripped pain.

“I like you Liam Ivan Lopez” she said, something great happened to this heart that night. One heartbreak after another and could this be the one? After endless nights of sitting on the bathroom floor crying, wondering why a good heart battles such heart aching pains, the words she spoke put all that aside. There was a connection that night that Zeus himself couldn’t break, this was surely the road to countless smiles. She spoke words of such truth to me, the meaning behind the words like “There’s only one person I’ve ever met that I’d marry and he’s following me”. It was so beautiful, but the life I had lived up to that point had taught me something much different, “do not trust anyone; they’ll put you down faster than they brought you up”. My guard was up; heartbreak is a pain I couldn’t handle once more.

Weeks go by and more words were exchanged, more beauty was found and this beautiful girl deserved a little faith from me so down my guard went. I portrayed the love that was hers and the ability to make my life or crumble it to pieces was in her hands. This was a ticking time bomb of love and whether it explodes into a night of bright beautiful fireworks or nuclear chemical destined to melt this heart is counting down; August 11, 2013 in fact. From the night beauty between us two was exposed and to this exact moment as I am typing, something was different, as if the mood between the two had taken a turn. Texts became shortened, all the effort was one ended, and questions throughout the long endless night became surreal. Once again all the thoughts I had continuously had, I pushed aside because I didn’t want any deep thought coming in, maybe she had just been busy at work or maybe she just can’t talk at the moment. Then the night that I had feared so emotionally struck, everything came pouring out and the two big questions that had been in the back of my head revealed themselves “Is she just giving up on us because she’s leaving for school? Has she been talking to someone else because of that?”

It only made sense that a series of questions as those came about and going mentally distraught, I was in need and driven to find answers. That can’t possibly make me insane, right? I mean, she is the one I want more than anything on earth and not as temporary, as I see a road for us that tales for miles and miles. I began to try and piece things together, going through social media as my connection between the dots and knowingly understanding that this is bad idea but I simply didn’t care. As I went through I took notice of a conversation, a conversation between her and another guy which lead to more horrific but can be considerably true thoughts. As restating that entire conversation is out of the question, the flirtation between the two was as clear as day and the brake down finally opened, the one that had been waiting for weeks, I broke down in every way possible. Seconds after reading that conversation, I rose from my bed, walked to the kitchen pantry, observed what my options were and decided that a half bottle of Skyy Vodka and a 3/4ths bottle of Venezuelan Rum was the route to take. I downed the bottle of vodka in no more than 15 minutes, now as I am not a heavy drinker, that night was different. That night I could’ve drank with the best of them, anyone could have stepped up and shot for shot I was winning because the pain in my heart and stomach was dreadful and needed to be taken care of that instant. After finishing the first bottle, I proceeded to open the Venezuelan Rum and made that my next victim. As it felt as time was in slow motion, “Stubborn Love” in the background, I looked at the clock and noticed I had finished both bottles in no more than hour. I sat at the edge of my bed crying, questioning why, and asking God why this happening to me. Why is that this always happens? Clearly never to this extent, but why must my heart be borrowed from me and given back in millions of miniscule pieces? I take pride in being the great man my mother raised me, so being a great guy made me question is it even worth it, is being such a sweetheart the way I should take.

For you, this could merely seem like yes, I am being overdramatic but for the people who know who this girl they would understand why something so small as a conversation can develop. As beautiful as this girl is inside and out, her surroundings are every guy’s worst nightmare. Her so called “best friend” isn’t my biggest fan and the partying between those two is something to be worried about. With that being said, it’s nothing but a little bit of alcohol and a disgusting/manipulative/evil “best friend” to make something of such beautiful potential turn into what she stands for as a human being, evil and absolutely fucking disgusting.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:26 pm
Aley wrote a review...

This is probably something someone else on here has already said, so I'm going to keep it short. I see you've got a lot of reviews, but you haven't done much reviewing. Here's the skinny; your character is too far in their head. In stories you have an option to be completely neutral, omniscient, whatever you'd like to call them, where you literally only see what's going on. The narrator doesn't say anything, there's no inner thinking or anything like that. You also have the ability to be slightly intrusive, where you hear the thoughts of the characters. That's sort of a middle ground. Last, you can hear everyone's thoughts and feelings, which is totally intrusive. This is a scale between 1[omnicient]-5[slightly intrusive]-10[totally intrusive.]
The best balance is typically somewhere between 1 and 5 for young writers. This balances how much they need to show, with how much they actually are allowed to show.
The problem with this piece is that it's all the way at 5 when it needs to be dialed back to about a 2 or a 3. This means you would only see minor thoughts of the character at specific events, and mostly we would be seeing this event of the girl breaking up with him. It's hard to dial it back in first person writing, which is basically set up for a level 5 writing style, but it is possible.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:18 am
SereneSimpliciT wrote a review...

I don't know why...but for some reason...I felt very bored reading this. Maybe it's because I just read something far more...gripping, but I don't think that's it to be honest.

For the most part, this is a nice piece, it has a nice idea behind it, and is nice grammatically...but overall...it just feels...flat.

If you are not able to grab your audience by the legs and drag them into the drama or just the idea in the FIRST sentence, you have a problem. I'm not saying that your intro is horrible, not in the slightest. I've seen a LOT worse, but to be honest, the beginning does seem a bit done, if not safe.

Another issue is the way you have it laid out. You have it in 5 BIG paragraphs. My paragraphs only get this big once or twice every other decade in my stories. These will make your reader feel a bit overwhelmed by the size and will ultimately shut them down as they read mentally. I suggest that you cut your paragraphs, and make 10 or more smaller paragraphs, it'll be easier to digest, and longer, which could get you props from people like me who write at least 5000 words a chapter.

Then there's the issue when you're throwing out names of alcohol...I don't know names of alcohol xD The average age group on this site are teenagers, and its illegal for us in the USA to drink til we're 21, so I really don't think it's needed for you to throw out brands. I only saw it once or twice, but it did distract as I read further, cause I just found myself wandering off in my mind trying to figure out what Skyy Vodka was or if I had seen a commercial for it. (I have that Kangaroo brand popping out in my mind for no reason).

Do you see a problem with that? My mind is wandering off into stupid nonsense when I should be focused and interested in your story.

Last, but not least...the narrator (main character). I felt no sympathy for this guy. Why? He just sounds like he's doing what I call "Drunk Whining", when he's just complaining about crap that's gone wrong with his life while also being intoxicated.

This is in no way interesting.

I was more interested in the girl's Best Friend, who's name we don't even KNOW!

I think you just need to relook at this, and hopefully, with some tweaks, you'll improve.

Good Luck
~Maddie

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:48 pm
StoneHeart wrote a review...

Hey Lama, Black finally here for your requested review. I have one guarantee when you ask a review of me: Lateness. Lots of it. Sorry.

Okay, so I'm going to do this review essay-style, giving you an overview of what I'll be covering, covering it, and then summing it up before I leave. I've found it quite effective in the past and hope it works!

So, for the summary of what I'm going to tell you. Now, don't get me wrong, this was a great piece. You have nice wording and a great looking plot (plus a lot of space for expansion), and you have some enthusiasm for what you're doing. I appreciated it. But you have a few problems. There are two or three spots where you have logic/ plot holes, and I plan to see them fixed. Your grammar isn't the best and I plan to get you going in the right direction there . . . and I have a couple ideas of where you SHOULDN'T take this story's plot. Okay. Here goes!

For your logic. First problem: I might quote from the above piece, you said 'There was a connection that night that Zeus himself couldn’t break, this was surely the road to countless smiles.' Might you know that Zeus isn't particularly well-known for breaking things? I'd say Hades, if you must use Greek Mythology. Or the Devil. Or Hell. Something more associated with breaking. Beware of little 'spicing up' words like these, they can RUIN a sentence. Make sure that they make sense.

Second: Your whole 'heartbreak cycle' doesn't really work all that well. You get your heart broken once, you A: Close up and go bitter, B: Get really angry and violent, C: Persevere and try to re-build, or D: go splat like a grape that's been sat on. Your guy is doing #D . Now let me tell you something, drawing form my minimal knowledge of life. The same option almost NEVER happens more than once. You don't have a person who goes out, gets their heart broken, goes mushy, gets it broken again, and goes mushy again, again and again for any amount of time! You need to change the options. Maybe he went bitter from his previous heartbreak and 'she' pulled him out, just to drop him.

Now, I advise you to watch yourself here. If you don't watch CAREFULLY, YOU WILL CRASH AND BURN! Beware of reality! Of course, you CAN make your guy really weird, and dumb . . . but that's unrealistic, though up to you! Hope that made sense! NOW TO THE NEXT PROBLEM!

Your grammar. Usually now, I would go and give you dozens of quotes of your work, fix them, and try to advise you on what to do overall . . . but I've recently learnt that those parts of my reviews are least read -and thus, best omitted. However, I still have to cover your grammar. This time I'll just explain your problem, prove you have the problem, and then find a solution for it! Here goes!

Your problem. Okay, to say that your grammar is 'amateur' would be cruel . . . so I'm just going to say 'inexperienced'. It needs work. Many of your sentences are formulated with words, and in ways, that don't make any sense. Meaning? I don't understand them. That means they don't work!

Proof: Okay, just read the following two quotes and try to tell me if you think they're properly written. Do they make sense? To me they didn't. But anyway.

For you, this could merely seem like yes, I am being overdramatic but for the people who know who this girl they would understand why something so small as a conversation can develop. As beautiful as this girl is inside and out, her surroundings are every guy’s worst nightmare.

It only made sense that a series of questions as those came about and going mentally distraught, I was in need and driven to find answers. That can’t possibly make me insane, right?

Solution: Okay, now those two sentences were really riddled with problems. Enough for a lifetime of fixing and editing . . . but the thing is, we're not going to edit all of these out. We're going to solve the core problem. The problem in your style itself. Solution though? Well, I'll prescribe practice. Lots of practice. That and a grammar checker to assist, and you should do quite well. You're trying to be fancy with words, but you don't know how. I advise you to try to keep your grammar simple. No complicated sentences. Hope you fix this! This piece would be EVEN better if you fixed it!

Ideas on where you SHOULDN'T take this story: Okay, I seriously hope you don't turn this into a chick lit. Why? Because chick-lit is amateur and unoriginal. Try to make something new. Give the story special characters. Special story world details. Special things that make it . . . special. Originality means a lot to me, and you're in trouble if you don't use it. Readers (mature ones especially) like original stories.

Okay, that's it for this review! I really hope it helped you, and will help you to develop an already great story into something even better! You're doing great and have a pretty good style! Be sure to keep it up!

Also, if you don't mind, could you PM me what you thought of this review? Rate it on scale of one to twenty, if you could! Questions are loved! Thanks!

~Black~

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:57 am
Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there!

I'll start off with your opening line:

I lie here with a heartfelt pain sunk into my stomach, the good ole lifted plant, and bottles of vodka and rum with nothing more than a drip to its name.

Whenever I make my way around the site, I try and preach having a great first line. This is important of course, because it is the first thing that your readers will see. It is the first time that they are introduced to the story, its characters, its setting.

With that being said, I think that the subject of your opening line is good. I'm sitting here wondering about this man (woman?) and what he/she is up to and why they're just lying there. So you've definitely drawn me in. My only problem with this sentence is that I don't understand it. It's confusing to me. It seems like you took three different ideas and just threw them together. Here, let's break it down:

"I lie here with a heartfelt pain sunk into my stomach..." What kind of pain is this exactly? If something is heartfelt, that generally means that it is cared for. But here this feeling is explained as a sort of pain.

"...the good ole lifted plant..."
This part just out right confuses me. I've never heard of this saying before. I don't have anything else to say about this.

"...and bottles of vodka and rum with nothing more than a drip to its name."
This part I get; the narrator is obviously drunk.

My major concern with this piece is the opening line. If you clarify it a bit, then I think this piece will be great. Feel free to explain it to me if I've gotten it all completely wrong here. That is possible. It actually happens a lot...

Ohhhh. See what I mean? I get the lifted plant reference now.

To think all the drugs and the alcohol is a coping arrangement for my problems is the correct assumption, if it takes the gut feeling away temporarily then I will drink and smoke my nights away.

This should probably be broken up into two sentences. I just think it would sound better that way. There's so much emotion in both parts of this sentence that it's almost overwhelming. This is a good thing, of course! So in order to get the greatest reaction out of the readers, the sentence should be separated into two sentences.

Overall, I think this story is beautiful. It may be a sad story about heartbreak, but this man, the narrator, who is telling this story, tells it in a beautifully sad way. He takes everything that has happened to his poor heart and turns it into a beautiful picture--minus the last few words of the story which are, indeed, not so beautiful ;) The words he uses all string together well and really draw me in. Great job!

I hope that this review was helpful!

**Noelle**

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:56 pm
xxxXanthexxx wrote a review...

Hey Xanthe here,

I found this quite emotional. I clicked on this because the title was quite different and I was really pleased with what I found. There was so much emotion in it and it was relatable to many people. I understand it is not finished but i can point out a few things that I personally would change.
The sentences and paragraphs were a bit too long i thought. I understand how hard it is not making sentences too long. I have a massive problem with it myself. I cant really help with grammar and the such because I am terrible at pointing out. Sorry.

Overall I found this really emotional. I liked the way you wrote it and I would like to read the finished version. Keep writing!

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:40 pm
haven235 says...

I'm not really into reading romantic stuff, so the subject of this piece wasn't really interesting to me. But the writing was what made me continue to read this. Emotion and imagery are the highlights to your writing, and I really see no problem with this so far. Sorry I can't help you much, but keep up the writing.

liamlopez44 says...

thank you, thank you. much appreciated!

The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices; to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicions can destroy. A thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own.
— Rod Serling, Twilight Zone