12+ Language Mature Content

A Short Drop and a Sudden Stop

by Spotswood

A Short Drop and a Sudden Stop

A short story by Jacob Swartz

5/13

The night was dark. Not a dark brought on by the mere absence of the sun’s comforting light, nor a dark where the blackness could be lessened by the simple, natural glow of the moon. This darkness was not peaceful in the least, but was incapable of eliciting emotion of any kind whatsoever. It was almost as if the darkness itself possessed the ability to consume all emotions in the unusual void of nothingness that it was. There was no word to describe the sensation. It was nothing but nothingness itself.

Yet amidst the darkness of the pale vale of shadow, a covert glimmer existed somewhere beneath the stars, on a small island surrounded by an infinite and seemingly endless sea, which some viewed as paradise and other as the Vestibule of Hell.

On this island, near the coast, lay a lonely public house that welcomed all, but silently condemned all who came. It was only there for the sake of necessity and convenience, and the man who owned the place, “Don” Deloro, was consistently and perpetually haunted by the roaring and crashing of the evil and ruthless waves that constantly beleaguered the coast in a never-ending siege.

Inside the establishment, known simply as La Cantina, at a table in the corner, sat five men stooped over their mugs of ale and despair; a motley group of men who seemed to come from all corners of the earth.

Is it true?” the first man asked. “Is he really in the hands of the enemy?”

That’s what I’ve heard,” said the second, clearly the youngest, before the third man, a Negro from the golden land of ivory that bordered an endless sea of green and an endless sea of blue, spoke.

And what was this damnable crime?” he said. “What rumours exist surrounding the details?”

I heard that he was caught making off with the gold from the king’s vault in Cartagena,” said the next, making a sour face as he reluctantly took a sip of his ale. The others knew not where this poor fellow came from. He had jet-black hair, a pale-yellow face, and slanted eyes that one could erroneously mistake to be inhuman. He looked very much like a man who came from the land where the sun rose first.

No, no,” the second man said again, “he cut down the fifty men with little effort. Apparently his punishment is for his murderous ways.”

The first man shook his head. “You are young and foolish to believe such lies. You might as well be saying that he traversed to the dark side of the moon and back.”

The young man smiled. “There’s no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it’s all dark.”

The first man grimaced. “Will you please shut up?” he said with a sneer. “He isn’t, or wasn’t, a cold-blooded killer as you imply. “He took a sip of ale and enjoyed it with ecstasy. “Besides, unlike most others in his profession, he had both honour and integrity.”

The oriental man was the next to speak. “How can you do what he did with integrity? He stole. He killed!”

Apparently he had a cause. An ulterior motive,” said the African.

Aye, you are correct,” the fifth man, who had stayed quiet until now, finally said. “And I only know a little. Unlike the lot of you, I actually know the man.” As he said this, the old man scratched his baldhead and let out a weary sigh.

You do?” asked the young man eagerly. “Is it true? Can he really clear an entire Spaniard and her crew with nothing but a single rapier and flintlock?”

The old man nodded. The first person was next to speak. “What be this motive that you’ve confirmed to exist?”

The old man replied: “It stems from a desire to seek revenge: a revenge that is highly justified. It is a revenge that Jesus Christ himself would see to full-fledged fruition.”

Was he a good leader?’ the Negro asked.

A good leader?” If you want my honest opinion, he’s one of the best. I’ve always respected him. I’ve known him ever since he was a lad. If he weren’t in his sorry state, and all four of you happened to be eager to live a life of adventure and intrigue, Riley would be your man. Of all gentlemen of fortune in these parts, he ranks as perhaps the most clever and cunning. More than Kennway, Vane, Harnigold, Roberts and Bonnet.”

But not clever enough to evade the authorities in the end,” said the fourth man.

I don’t think even he’ll get out of this one,” the fifth man said with a sigh.

The young man was on the edge of his seat by this time. “Tell me more of this alleged revenge.”

The old man shook his head once more. “No, it’s not just revenge. Something else drives his motives. There is more mystery to that man that even I dare ask.”

The youngest man sighed in disappointment. “Tis’ a real shame. I would have much liked to meet him.”

The easterner shook his head in utter and sincere disappointment. “And now he has what’s coming to him,” he said, in spite of the comment’s obvious nature.

The youngest spoke up again. “So, I guess he’ll be suffering from the usual?” He said this with anxious curiosity.

The first man hit his junior over the head for his friend’s stupid remark. “Of course, you damn ignoramus! How else would they go about doing it?” He then turned to face the old man, unsure of his hypothesis, himself. “They will be doing it that way, right?” The fifth man nodded.

A real shame too,” the black one said after he took a swig of his ale. “I’ve always admired him and his exploits. I’ve heard quite a deal about him from Santos Miguel. Apparently they both sailed together aboard the Crazy Diamond.”

Miguel was a good friend of his. He stuck with him till’ the end. Miguel got away during the heist, much to the urging of our dear friend.” The old timer said this gazing up at the wall in trance-like state. “And I believe that Miguel will be attending tomorrow as well. That’s one Spaniard that our friend respects unconditionally.”

I’ll be attending tomorrow,” the young man said. Man number two spoke up. “Do you even know what they do? Clearly you’ve never seen one in person. Gruesome experience.”

Yet people treat it as an exciting performance. They make a mockery of someone’s despair and suffering,” the third man proclaimed.

Technically, it is not a feeling of despair and suffering,” the old man said, “you usually do not feel a thing.”

It happens ever so quickly, said the Negro.

And how the hell would you know?” asked the Asian in a confused fashion. “The punishment that he’ll be suffering from is not used in the land from which you come.”

You are correct,” the man replied. “But on the voyage, while aboard the devil-ship that carried me from my home to the West Indies, I saw it done to a sailor.”

What happened?” the Asian exclaimed in a silent, but sincere fashion.

Well, this sailor, Matthews was his name, was a repeat offender and was caught stealing an extra ration of cheese and grog.”

But how did they go about doing it? Surely they didn’t have one of those infernal contraptions aboard.”

It was from the yardarm. The captain didn’t bother to cut him down for three whole days. I was able to see the whole thing since I was chained up just below the barred hatch.”

The first man, whose tattooed forearm was now becoming visible due to the rising sun’s glow, said: “At least the authorities are handling him humanely. Unlike what the mobs do, I hear they tar and feather in some places. That’s extremely popular up in the British colonies. New England to be exact.”

Humane?” the young man exclaimed, “How is it humane? It’s long and agonizing. I couldn’t stand being choked!”

The old man gave off a sarcastic and belittling laugh. “As I said earlier, that’s a common misconception. Most of the time, death is instantaneous. The drop happens so fast they break their neck. It just snaps. Sometimes, though, it is a long and agonizing choke.” He paused. “I only hope it’s fast. He deserves a quick death. I’d rather see him lose his head though; it’s more humane. Actually, he should have died in battle altogether.”

I’ve seen many a public spectacle,” the first man boasted without any hint of pride in his voice. “It chills me as I stare into the faceless gaze of the hooded man as he pulls the lever and watches with pride as his victim falls into Satan’s warm grasp.”

The old man nodded one last time. “It’s like staring into the eyes of death itself. It’s much like this night, even.”

Even as the visual blueness of the encroaching dawn approached, the darkness remained with nihilism and silent malice. It would continue throughout the day, even as the sun made its way into the skies above the tropics. It would persist even as the stores and kiosks that lined the clean streets of Havana opened for the day. People would awake to what they would see as daylight, to what they would misconstrue as sunlight and its warm comfort. Soon, men, women, and children would be flocking to the square to witness the spectacle. Soon, a man whose only crime was trying to find his place in the world, would be delivered by his enemies into the hands of death, only to be swallowed by the hungry darkness.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:03 pm
SageofthePage wrote a review...

This was an interesting and captivating story. I'm not exactly sure where the exact setting was, but the vocabulary you used, along with the means of persecution, gave the time period away by a dot. You're very good at describing the atmosphere, but I would suggest putting a bit more depth into your characters, maybe go into each of their backgrounds a bit more.

In that time period, I doubt anyone would have begun to look at public hangings as morally wrong, especially for a supposed criminal. Public prosecution went on in the U.S. until the nineteen sixties, so we have to take human blood lust into account. The fact that these men were talking about it as if it were abnormal or inhumane meant that they weren't like the rest of their society at the time.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:46 am
YoungMom1210 wrote a review...

Wow ! This was an amazing story to read ! I was captivated my the first 3 sentences ! I read the whole thing and i can't wait to read more !

The only thing bad I can say about this piece is that there is nothing more to it. I wish that you would keep writing this as I am always looking for things to read, and this one is definitely on my top 10 !

The story was very vague, which in all honesty is not a bad thing. There wasn't much information but there was enough there to make you want more ! :)

Great job ! I can't wait to see more of this !

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:06 pm
Equivocal wrote a review...

Note: This is a general review of the entirety of your supplied writings.

This was well written. I enjoyed the prose and the plot was interesting. However may I ask something? One thing that makes a story great is layers. You have some layers: you bring ethnicity and corporeal diversity to your characters, and you allow for an interesting insight into the geographical standing and periodic influence of the time. However, one thing that allows for a story to become even greater is psychology. The investigation of the psyche of your characters, allows for rich dynamic, and is especially rewarding in the act of creating a secondary theme to the entire plot; especially in the context you have provided. See, if we take "Lord of the Flies", on one side it is entirely about young boys and their struggle to be found, and eventually their vulgarity emerging. However, the author brings in a whole other theme. He brings, a metaphorical theme to the story, and thus it becomes a story about the correlation between society and chaos. It speculates upon the fine line between the two, and it not only allows for a greater meaning to the story, but as well a complex plot. He manages to bring many layers into such a small context, and I feel that if you involve psychological elements into this story (As well as your future writings) and for longer work a more metaphorical standpoint. All these combined with a complex plot (Plots involving, Politics, Society, Morality, Psychology, et cetera) will create a great story.
Also, I would not consider this a short story. It is more a scene from a short story, so perhaps elaborate on what you have.

Spotswood says...

Thank you for the review! And, you are quite right about this not being the short story. I actually wrote this as if it could be the introduction to a possible book in the future.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:36 pm
Deanie wrote a review...

Hey Spotswood,

Nice story here :) It has the perfect hanging feel to it, vague so that not all the information is there, but enough to keep the story going and understandable. Good job :) I liked how instead of using names you had descriptions of all the people instead, as if their appearance spoke enough as the identity of them.

I liked the last paragraph the most as you showed how an innocent man dies with everyone watching him.

I sometimes got a bit lost in the conversation they had. They kept saying he was great, but I never really got why he was that great. Although he stuck by a friend he didn't do anything that bewildering. Saving precious lives or something? If you mentioned something like that I would be more convinced he was an amazing person.

I think it had some really good description in there, so keep writing more!

Deanie x

Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:26 pm

This was vague, but I think that would be a good thing. I always have the need to name my characters. Not all that sure why though...

Back to the review.

You did a good job with the words used in this short ( You know what I'm talking about) because of the era. I was a bit offended by them at first, cause I really didn't look at the categories.

This should also be at 'Rated 18+ for language' or something. Just thought that I should point that out.

All in all a good read. I hope to have more in the future.

With All Do Respect
Whole Some Reader

Spotswood says...

Thank you for your review. The only thing is that the language I included in my story is very mild, so I didn't find the 18 all that necessary.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:27 pm
megsug wrote a review...

Hey Spots,
I'm here to give you a review.
Very pretty language you have here. I can tell you put some thought into the art of relaying what you have to say, and that is very important.
Now, I'm just going to jump into my critiques. I'll more good things to say at the end. I promise.

It was almost as if the darkness itself possessed the ability to consume all emotions in the unusual void of nothingness that it was. There was no word to describe the sensation. It was nothing but nothingness itself.

We get it. It's dark nothing. I say you get rid of the last sentence and leave the paragraph as is from there on out, but my word isn't gospel.

welcomed all, but silently condemned all who came.

Hm... I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean here. Welcome and condemn are very close to antonyms. Perhaps, instead of welcome, shelter?

the man who owned the place, “Don” Deloro, was consistently and perpetually haunted by the roaring and crashing of the evil and ruthless waves that constantly beleaguered the coast in a never-ending siege.

Don isn't mentioned anywhere else in the story. Why spend these three lines talking about him? It just takes up space.

“What rumours exist surrounding the details?”

So, your approach to your dialogue is very similar to your narration and that's just not the way it can be. Because your dialogue is so pretty, it doesn't sound like men sitting in a run down pub. No one talks like that. It's too stiff.

Now, with all of the characters you have, it is very easy for the reader to get confused. I would suggest introducing them in numerical order, 1, 2, 3, 4. I like the names you gave them, younger one, Negro, Oriental. However, you need to be consistent. I've found that keeping numbers never work. I always forget who started out as the first one. However, I, as the reader, can remember which one is the youngest.
That being said, I'd like to say I like how you leave these men unnamed. That's awesome.

The last issue, is how much dialogue there is. The majority of this story is dialogue which can be stiff, and it's actually just five guys talking. There's not really a plot or any action.

All of my critiques out of the way, your description is lovely. It's a pleasure to read when description is so often hard to get through.

If you have any questions or comments please pm me, hit up my wall, or feel free to chat me up if you see me. I would love to elaborate on anything I've said here.
I hope to see more from you
Megs~

Spotswood says...

Thank you for the review! I appreciate that you took the time to write that for me. However, as to the "welcomed all, but silently condemned those who came", the concept is supposed to be contradictory. It is implying that Deloro, as a businessman, welcomed all (as in desired the business) and silently condemned those who came (implying that he is either unhappy with his career choice or dislikes most of the patrons). It is purposefully contradictory.

As to the stiffness of my dialogue and the abruptness of my sentences, including the excessive dialogue. Well, let's just say I try to write like Hemingway. And, if you read it a second time, or delved into the deeper undertone of the story itself, you would've found that there is indeed a plot and that the men are discussing something of sheer importance. In terms of the action, I wrote this in a way that would leave it open for the possibility of this being the first chapter of a historical fiction novel.

Again, the critique is much appreciated. Thank you!

Spotswood says...

And those extra lines were not about Don. I just vicariously used Deloro's perspective in that particular instance to describe what it was like on the island, and how he experienced the monotonous dread of both his job and the waves upon the shore. Remember, Hemingway said only 20% of the story is written. The rest is all undertone. The tip of the iceberg isn't the whole iceberg, to put it in allegorical sense.

“Sorry about the blood in your mouth. I wish it was mine. I couldn't get the boy to kill me, but I wore his jacket for the longest time.”
— Richard Siken