z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Author Snapshot - Maria V. Snyder

by OliveDreams


Since switching her career from meteorologist to novelist, Maria V. Snyder has exploded into the literary world with the New York Times best-selling fantasy, Study Series.

This superb set consists of Poison Study, Magic Study and Fire Study where we are invited to follow the story of Yelena Zaltana. Whilst waiting for her imminent death in prison, Yelena is given the choice to either follow out her sentence or accept the position of official food taster for the man who put her there.

Snyder didn't stop her creative juices with the Study Series. Whilst now being a teacher and mentor for other budding new writers, she used her previous expertise of meteorology to create the award-winning Glass Series. Using her extensive knowledge of the weather, Snyder creates a glass magician who can trap magic inside her glass creations. Storm Glass, Sea Glass and Spy Glass are another unique example of Snyder's ability to author a strong female protagonist that the reader will love to root for.

By using a range of aspects from the genres suspense, mystery and romance, Snyder successfully produces firm character relationships that keep the pages turning again and again. Though she provides seriousness through many of her characters, Snyder always seems to find a way to break this up by adding a touch of comic relief.

What makes Snyder's books so meticulous and believable, could be down to her substantial research techniques. As discussed in her official website, www.mariasnyder.com, Snyder has learnt to ride a horse, pick a lock, how to fence, toured a maximum security prison, worked with molten glass and practised Issinryu karate all in an attempt to make her stories realistic.

I stumbled across these books, and this author, by complete accident yet Snyder's exquisite detail and quick plot twists had her fast becoming one of my favourite fantasy writers. If you enjoy all things magic, all things love, all things action and the one thousand things in between then the author, Maria V. Snyder is for you.

Favourite quote from Storm Glass – Maria V. Snyder:

Don't knock the power of a pest,” Leif said. “Persistence and stubbornness can be useful in many situations.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 338
Reviews: 24

Donate
Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:29 am
Basil says...



I love the first book, Poison Study, and I want to read the other books so badly!!!
And you have done a brilliant job here, too!




User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35799
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:45 pm
niteowl wrote a review...



Hi there Olive! From one Green Lantern to another, here's a review! :)

Overall, I think this was a strong review that makes me want to read the books (although I don't read much anymore haha). Just a couple things.

1) The formatting: I believe the convention is to underline book titles, but I think italics are acceptable as well. The bold does look a little tacky. Also, you used the wrong URL. The one you cited links to a fashion designer/model. www.mariavsnyder.com is the author's website.

2) Some of the sentences are a bit awkward.

Whilst now being a teacher and mentor for other budding new writers, she used her previous expertise of meteorology to create the award-winning Glass Series.


I agree that "whilst" sounds odd here, but the whole sentence sounds awkward. Perhaps "While teaching and mentoring budding new writers, she drew upon her meteorology background to create the award-winning Glass Series." would sound better.

By using a range of aspects from the genres suspense, mystery and romance, Snyder successfully produces firm character relationships that keep the pages turning again and again. Though she provides seriousness through many of her characters, Snyder always seems to find a way to break this up by adding a touch of comic relief.


"Aspects" seems like a vague word to use. I think it could be stronger as "By combining the suspense, mystery, and romance genres, Snyder..."

"Provides seriousness" also sounds weird. Maybe something like "Though her character face many serious situations".

What makes Snyder's books so meticulous and believable, could be down to her substantial research techniques.


Again, I think the wording could be smoother. Suggestion: "Snyder's extensive research makes her books more believable."

Overall, I think this is structured well, but the sentences could be more active and less passive. Keep writing and GO GREEN LANTERNS! :)




User avatar
394 Reviews


Points: 16710
Reviews: 394

Donate
Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:41 pm
KnightTeen wrote a review...



This article is very good. I've never read Snyder's books, and this definitely got me interested.

I like how you bolded out the titles of the books to make them distinct from the rest of the work, but I would have preferred if you had italicized them. I have some weird vision things, so going from normal to extra dark like that made my eyes hurt. But, that was just me.

I thought that your language was very eloquent, and suited the piece very well.

The quote was very good, and a perfect way to end the article.

I'm definitely going to check out this author, thanks for giving me some new reading material.

Peace,
HT




User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 610
Reviews: 67

Donate
Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:38 am
Auxiira says...



Maria is one of my favourite authors, but I've never got around to reading the Glass series. Do we meet Yelena again?




Auxiira says...


And have you read her other ones, Scent of Magic, I think it was.



User avatar
68 Reviews


Points: 10065
Reviews: 68

Donate
Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:16 am
Archer wrote a review...



Very interesting! I might have to check out those books.

I think this article does a very good job of conveying the information in a very quick and readable manner. There are a couple of style and grammar points though that need work.

When writing out the name of a book, use either italics or quotes. The problem with bold is that it just sticks out too much; it's kind of distracting. Use bold when you want to add emphasis, and use italics or quotes when writing the name of a book.

By using a range of aspects from the genres suspense, mystery and romance


This is awkwardly written, but easily fixed by moving "genres" to after romance so that it reads, "... from the suspense, mystery and romance genres."

I stumbled across these books, and this author,


The commas around "and this author" aren't necessary. They add a pause in an unnatural area.

Snyder didn't stop her creative juices with the Study Series. Whilst now being a teacher and mentor for other budding new writers, she used her previous expertise of meteorology to create the award-winning Glass Series. Using her extensive knowledge of the weather, Snyder creates a glass magician who can trap magic inside her glass creations. Storm Glass, Sea Glass and Spy Glass are another unique example of Snyder's ability to author a strong female protagonist that the reader will love to root for.


Just singling this paragraph out because it's great. I'd change "whilst" to "while," but that's it. The reason why this paragraph is great is because you expertly convey Snyder's background and how that relates to her writing.

I also particularly like how you ended this article. Well done.





The best books... are those that tell you what you know already.
— George Orwell, 1984