z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Fate - Prologue

by SushiSashimi333


In this world there are people that aren't needed, and people that are needed. Those who are needed live a life of luxury and wonder. Those who aren't needed are trampled and looked down upon. No one lives together unless they are of the same class. If you are found violating this rule, you are erradicated, along with the rest of your flawed bloodline.

Then there are those of us in the middle. We don't have a purpose in this life. Yet. We remain Mids until we find it, or until we realize that we were born with none. I don't have mine yet even though I'm sixteen. The ceremony is tomorrow. If I don't have a purpose by tomorrow I will live with those in the dumps. I will be separated from my family. I won't be able to see Jack again.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4096 Reviews


Points: 253363
Reviews: 4096

Donate
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:39 am
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

Anyway let's get right to it,

In this world there are people that aren't needed, and people that are needed. Those who are needed live a life of luxury and wonder. Those who aren't needed are trampled and looked down upon. No one lives together unless they are of the same class. If you are found violating this rule, you are erradicated, along with the rest of your flawed bloodline.


Well, that sounds like...a lovely set of surroundings there to be living on...it appears we find ourselves in a world where things are in quite a bad state there, if people are being divided in such a harsh way with those that disobey this society's rules being literally killed off along with their bloodlines. It certainly paints a rather terrifying picture there to see that these beings are at a stage where they classify things in such an extreme way, and well, it definitely manages to get your attention here. Its a pretty neat start here to this prologue.

Then there are those of us in the middle. We don't have a purpose in this life. Yet. We remain Mids until we find it, or until we realize that we were born with none. I don't have mine yet even though I'm sixteen. The ceremony is tomorrow. If I don't have a purpose by tomorrow I will live with those in the dumps. I will be separated from my family. I won't be able to see Jack again.


Well, I suppose there is always is going to be the middle option there...although it looks in this case its more of some kind of waiting while everyone is still a child...which does make sense. It seems like a very interesting model for this society at any rate...one of those brutally efficient types that try to remove everyone they believe is useless.

All in all, this seems like a pretty epic premise here, oddly similar to a couple of other things I've run into before but it is still unique, so that's a good sign, and it looks like a nice little point to end the prologue on there too...with the whole....this person has to make a choice situation. All in all, a pretty solid prologue here, and this seems like a story that I would read here. :D

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar


Points: 353
Reviews: 2

Donate
Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:42 pm
Natalie9670 wrote a review...



It's short, but I think it works. I don't know what it is about these couple paragraphs, somehow they just managed to make feel involved in the story. I especially love the last line, it makes readers wonder, want to read more to find out who Jack is, to see if he's a friend, a love interest, or maybe a brother.

Just one little thing, is "flawed bloodling." meant to be "flawed bloodline"? It might just be me not understanding the context or having a blank moment so ignore me if I'm wrong, haha:)

I really like this though, and I can't wait to read more. Keep up the good work!






You're right! It should be bloodline XD. I think I might have been blanking. Glad you liked it! Not sure if I'll continue with this, but I guess I'll see.



User avatar
532 Reviews


Points: 27927
Reviews: 532

Donate
Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:40 am
ArcticMonkey wrote a review...



Hiya Sushi!

I was about to start reviewing chapter one of this, but then I noticed you've posted a prologue too, so I thought I'd read that first to avoid any confusion, as knowing me I knew there would be some! I'll start off with the things I liked, and I guess it's just the idea of this story. I can almost see it being based on something political, but I'm not gonna point any fingers to any parties just in case it isn't ;). But yeah, I do really like this idea because I'm quite a fan of dystopia, and I think this story could work really well.

As this is quite short, there's not really much to comment on here. I guess something I didn't really like here is just the fact that you just kind of explain what's going on, really quickly, and in not a completely interesting way. What I mean by this is this whole world is sort of just explained, and I think there could be more to this. Rather than sort of explaining this idea as you would to a friend, I think you could give it some more story-like qualities. Right now, it kinda looks like a plan, rather than a story.

So firstly, maybe you could go into more detail about explaining this world, and maybe give a description of the setting and what it's like. Rather than giving a whole view of it, you could just focus more on the MC/narrator's view of it, and what they have to go through. Maybe you could also talk about this ceremony a bit more, because it's all a bit vague now. Obviously this is quite a tricky situation because it is a prologue and you don't wanna reveal TOO much, but maybe just elaborate a bit more on descriptions.

Alternatively, maybe you don't really need a prologue? This is quite short anyways, and I'm sure something that could be put in the first chapter. Personally, I find that prologues aren't really needed that much, because they're more just to set the scene right? I think it's totally up to you of course, but I think it's more interesting when this kind of plot info is shown throughout the chapters rather than explained right at the beginning.

Right, I'm feeling a bit useless right now because I haven't given you many suggestions but I really can't think of anymore. Whatever you decide to do with this, I'd say just make it a bit longer. As as I said before, this was quite short so there wasn't much to comment on. Overall, this looks like a great story idea, so I can't wait to move onto chapter one now! Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or would like another review of anything.

Keep writing!
-Arc x






Oh yeah. Heh heh, this story was just me barfing ^_^. I was stuck on my other story but still wanted to write so this came out. I might try editing it and taking it seriously, so if I do I shall definitely keep your suggestions in mind. I must also agree that this is vague, but that might just be my prologue style. -shrug- I shall remember to come back to this. Thank you for your input!



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 740
Reviews: 12

Donate
Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:17 am
kingofwernogs wrote a review...



Even though you said you decided to write something "easy" that you don't seem confident about, I would say that this sounds exciting and I would encourage you to write more. I usually write reviews to correct errors, but I couldn't find any here. I would say that the part about "a purpose in life" was a bit vague, but you probably intended it that way. I also would like to point out that this sounds a lot like a dystopia, and because of the number of dystopias being published in the wake of The Hunger Games, you should definitely work hard to make it good or people will just say, "Oh, another dystopia. Seen enough of those already." I think that you should continue this, as it sounds like a fascinating story in the making.






Thank! To be honest I have block on this other story I am writing so I decided, eh, why not make another story!? I'm glad to hear that this is off to a good start. I shall do my best not to make it like Hunger Games. Thank you for the tips. This gives me good future insight. ^_^




Who wants to become a writer? And why? Because it’s the answer to everything. It’s the streaming reason for living. To note, to pin down, to build up, to create, to be astonished at nothing, to cherish the oddities, to let nothing go down the drain, to make something, to make a great flower out of life, even if it’s a cactus.
— Enid Bagnold