z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Kulostal's Beard

by guineapiggirl


All the dwarves had heard the scream echo through the valley. Nearly all had seen the cloud of fire shoot into the sky like lava. Now, they held vigil at the mouth of the mountain-pass, waiting for their hero, the warrior who had slain the dragon, to come home- or not to.

Blind Ol' Balderdash the beggar, who the other villagers normally gave a wide berth, went unnoticed in the midst of the crowd. He couldn't see the red eyes and the beard-wringing but he could hear everything: heartbroken sobs, wailing, frantic and desperate prayers. Kulostal the warrior was adored. He was the strongest, the bravest and the most handsome of all the dwarves and looked set to be chosen at the next Council as village chieftain. Every young dwarf wanted to be him. Every young dwarf-maiden wanted to be with him. When the dragon had come, eating children and cattle, burning houses and crops, claiming the jewel mines for his own, Kulostal had set forth alone into the mines, armed with just an axe, to slay him. He had prevailed and the villagers had rejoiced, until the day grew late and he still did not return. Then, dread had gripped their hearts and hope had slowly faded.

"Kinsfolk!" boomed around the mountain, accompanied by gasps, shrieks and shouts of joy. Then bewilderment:

"Where is he? Where is he? Kulostal!" a dwarf-maiden, pressed close to Balderdash, shouted.

"He's died and come back as a spirit!" someone screamed. The cry was taken up by the crowd.

"No, kinsfolk, do not take fright!" Kulostal's bodiless voice boomed. Balderdash's hearing was sharp to compensate his blindness and he alone could hear that Kulostal was hiding amongst the rocks, "I am alive; I am more alive than ever before! Armed with my axe, my courage and my love for you all," here the dwarf-maidens swooned, "I slayed the dragon. But I will not pretend that I left the battle unscarred. Before it died, the dragon scorched me to the bone. I was left near to death in the depths of the mine but the gods, who reward the brave and bearded, summoned me to their caverns," the crowd gasped and shouted questions about the next world in all directions, but Kulostal ignored them and carried on, "There Eshkimol healed my wounds and then Threnekrul chose my reward. He said to me, Hero, you have served your kinsfolk well. You are truly the bravest and the best of dwarves. And so you must have, to replace the beard the dragon scorched off-"

"Your beard! Your beautiful beard!" wailed the maiden.

"-The best beard any dwarf has ever had, a beard made from the very power of the gods and so brilliant that only the brave and bearded, those who one day will come to live in these caverns, may see it. I am sure that that applies to you all, my kinsfolk, and that you must now see before you, if you are truly of brave heart and brave beard and if your souls shall rest in the Caverns for all eternity, the most magnificent beard ever."

Did Balderdash hear a note of warning, daring anyone to disagree, as Kulostal stepped out into the open?

First there was a silence, heavy with shock, confusion and long thoughts, then a clamour:

"The finest beard I have ever seen!"

"The biggest! The bravest! The best!"

"I am riddled right through with envy..."

"Aaah, he is even more handsome than before!"

Balderdash couldn't see and so he listened, as usual, to what those around him said and tried to form a picture in his mind. But he couldn't. The crowd were all avoiding saying specifics. Yes, the beard was the finest and the best, but what colour was it? Was it curly? Braided? Dreadlocked?

An idea, a very strange idea, formed in Balderdash's mind. He lifted his voice, frail and croaky, as much as he could and shouted, "What a fine shade of red! It is the most ginger beard I've ever seen!"

And sure enough, his words echoed through the crowd:

"It's red as flame!"

"Red as the bartender's nose!"

"I never thought a ginger beard would be the best!"

Were these words, wondered Balderdash, becoming just a little mocking? He wished he could see Kulostal's face.

"And," said Balderdash, for the beard might well be red, "What a sweet, pointy goatee it is!"

"I'm sure it makes up in quality for its quantity..."

"It's like the beard of a newborn baby!"

"I should like to stroke it!"

Using the sound of Kulostal's protests to guide him, "You must be viewing it in the wrong light! It is a full beard of black!" Balderdash found his way out of the crowd and right up to the warrior.

"I do believe," Balderdash grinned, feeling Kulostal's face with his hand, "That this chin is quite bald and that Kulostal, in his vanity, takes us all for idiots and fools."

Then Kulostal was laughed at and shamed by the villagers when he might otherwise have been revered for slaying the dragon, and Blind Ol' Balderdash was chosen as the village chieftain because the villagers said that, though blind, he had the clearest sight of them all.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
332 Reviews


Points: 10657
Reviews: 332

Donate
Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:00 am
Blackwood wrote a review...



At first I was a little bit put off because everything I read seemed to echo 'The hobbit'. Dwarves, beards, mountains. It has been too many years since I read it so this could just as easily have seemed fanfiction to me. Getting into the beard part of the story was very entertaining. There was a strong moral which enforced the fable. I liked a few lines where you rhymed.

"I'm sure it makes up in quality for its quantity..."

"It's like the beard of a newborn baby!"

I also like this line because beard of a newborn baby is humourous.

One thing you could improve on is the reaction. They just slain/attacked a dragon. I think there should be a bit more panic and perhaps the people see the beard as a distraction from their worries.




User avatar
76 Reviews


Points: 516
Reviews: 76

Donate
Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:40 pm
KingKamor wrote a review...



I'll start off with grammatical stuff.

First, I suggest learning how to write in the active voice. Using your first line as an example: "All the dwarves had heard the scream..." is in the passive voice. It uses an extra "had" when it would be fine without it. "All the dwarves heard the scream" is active, bringing a more definitive feel to the words. Similarly, the next sentence, "Nearly all had seen the cloud of fire..." could be made active by making it, "Nearly all saw the cloud of fire..." Not to say active voice must be used 100% of the time, but it certainly helps.

"The most magnificent beard ever." kind of ends weakly. "... ever there was." could be better, but there is already enough nice language that I'm sure you could think of something more appropriate.

The rest was great, though. Nice, short, and very dwarven. I liked the alliteration you used for Balderdash, too.

But like I said before, learn a bit about the active voice and it will read much better.




User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 289
Reviews: 11

Donate
Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:51 pm
View Likes
MelawenWillow says...



The title. I loved the title.
Oh, and the description.
Oh, and yeah, the story too.
I like dwarves. Can you tell? Now, for the review.
1) I loved the message. It had a fable-like quality to it that I find very communicative. You did a great job of building up to the end. If there's something I would change, it would be to make more clear when Kulostal comes out that the villagers aren't buying his "new and improved" beard at all.
2) Excellent writing style. One thing I would recommend is using italics to emphasize certain phrases (I'm sure you can find them. I won't tell you which ones because I don't know if as a writer, you MEANT to emphasize them haha...)
Welp,that's about it. This was great!!
PEACE




User avatar
532 Reviews


Points: 27927
Reviews: 532

Donate
Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:47 pm
View Likes
ArcticMonkey wrote a review...



Hi guineapiggirl, here to review your story!

I really did enjoy reading this, I think you have some really cool ideas in this. When I at first saw it was a dwarf story, I wasn't really sure what I was going to expect, but probably something a bit negative because I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to fantasy- however, this was really lovely! There were some interesting characters in this, and I especially love the ending. It was a really sweet ending and left a smile on my face.

What I thought was lacking was some description! I think it's really important when it comes to fantasy, and writing about a world that doesn't exist, you really need to set it right. By this I just mean describe the surroundings. I'd love to see some beautiful descriptions about the village- right now I'm picturing something very nature-lord of the rings-y, but that's just my imagination. How do you picture it? And what message do you want to get across to the readers? Try and also mention the five senses when you're describing things, not only what it looks like, but what are the smells around? This might sound a bit odd, but this will help the reader picture what is going on more.

Also, I think there could be a better introduction of your characters- especially Balderdash.Just sort of talk about who he is a bit more. You do already talk about his physical appearance a bit, but I'd like to know more about what he looks like (aside from the beard, I get that you have to leave that till the end). And if it would give too much away to describe him, then describe one of the other dwarfs. I'm saying this because people don't really know what dwarves look like, and they vary in different pieces of literature- so what are the dwarves that you've created look like? What twist (if any) have you put on them?

Lastly, I'd like to see the battle in greater detail. It's sort of just in a bit of dialogue at the moment, I want to know more about the details and how it happened. Not only will this give more information, but it will make Balderdash seem more like a heroic character and the reader will feel more empathy towards him.

Overall, this was a very cool story. I think the strongest point of this was the message behind it, and in the description you say it's 'A short fable about dwarves and beards, vanity and vision.'- and it definitely was. I like how you show it doesn't matter what you look like, or any disabilities you have, anything can be achieved. Next steps would be just including more detail really- with characters and settings. I want to know more about the background of this story. I hope this review helped, PM me if you have any questions or would like another review.

Keep writing!
-Arc x





“Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you— Ye are many—they are few.”
— Mary Shelly