16+

Insayn ~ Prologue

by Wonder

Okay, so I know that this is pretty short, but for some reason, I can never write a long enough prologue. Oh well. I hope you enjoy!!

I woke up on the morning of January 27 feeling unusually cheerful. I felt so light, and confident, too. I'm the younger sister in my family, and usually I'm invisible.

But not today. Anything could happen today.

Dreams were going to come true, I could tell. They were about to spread their wings, take flight, and become alive.

Yet on that very same morning, something small and forgotten inside of me knew that dreams were about to die, too. They were going to shrivel up, become forgotten memories. Dust in a rotting attic. Those dreams were going to have their wings clipped and be thrown away forever.

That day was the best day of my life, and the day that turned my life into a living hell.

Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:35 am

Alright, well, interesting thing to start things off there, especially that date...it does seem to quite random but yet it looks like its anything but a normal day for this person....and well, to see that waking up very cheerful and feeling good is a very new exciting thing is on one hand, kind of fun to see, someone just having a very nice day, but also it almost sounds a little troubling that they would consider a day that they feel cheerful in something strange and not very common. At any rate, the whole dreams things also seem to at least indicate that something a bit crazy is about to happen that day...so all in all, this is a pretty intriguing start that certainly makes you think quite a bit.

Well, that ended on a note that kind of resonated with the first one in a strange harmony there...we have ourselves the whole thing turning out to be a bit of a nightmare scenario after all and it looks like everything just ended up going completely wrong and horrible...rather than the whole...dreams and cheerfulness....well, its certainly a good ending for a prologue, cause it seems like the kind of day you want to read about.

All in all, this is a pretty solid little prologue here, and it appears this is a story that I would definitely read here. :D

AdjiFlex says...

Good grammar is attractive on a piece of work., Keep that up.

Wonder says...

Thank you ^_^ This was pretty hasty and I actually haven't worked on this story in months. Yikes. Thanks for reminding me it even existed! Cx

AdjiFlex says...

Prologues shouldn't be long anyway, so don't worry. This feels a little like poetic prose (which is a good thing). I can see from here you like poetry (or at least have the potential to appreciate and write it). Nice touches of paradoxes and ironies: dreams becoming memories, as if they were realized, the best day of your life being also the worst, that kinda thing. It sets the foundation and tells is to expect the unexpected while reading. Good work there.

The first paragraph is really blunt and forceful, and makes me wonder if I will be figuring out things or simply told things in the chapters to come. Instead of saying you feel light and confident and saying you're usually invisible and all, you can show all that even without dialogue. Use actions, and the reader will figure out all that. I'd like to see more of this though. Keep writing.

Adam-Clay.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:53 pm
Liaya wrote a review...

Well, I'm certainly caught. My attention is officially snagged! I want to know what the character's dreams are, which ones died and which ones didn't, and how her life could become so miserable after such a wonderful day. I do think you should be careful to not change tense halfway through the prologue! You switch from telling about something that has already happened to "today" and then back to "that day." It's short and sweet and trust me, that isn't a bad thing! I do hope you continue writing, though!

Wonder says...

I've been really lazy...I accidentally deleted Chapter 1 (well, actually it was my sister's fault) but I never re-wrote it...

~ Wonder <3

Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:05 am
KLovelace wrote a review...

Hello, I'm K here to review your prologue!

The thing that sticks out to me the absolute most and bothers me the most is your change of tense. "But not today. Anything could happen today." But then you refer to January 27 as "That day..." It's a small change really, but one that could help a ton with the overall effect of this prologue.

Second, I like the shortness. It adds mystery and makes the reader eager to find out what made (makes) that day so special.

I love love love the third paragraph. I love all of your bird/dreams analogy-personification thingies. They're so beautiful.

I'm very eager to read the next part of this novel!! Please please please keep writing! <3

Wonder says...

Thank you!! I've been really lazy and have instead been working on another, totally different story. I really should write at least two more chapters. Hmm.

~ Wonder%u2665

ArcticMonkey wrote a review...

Hiya Wonder! Here to review your prologue~

Seeing as this is so short, I'm going to review it paragraph by paragraph, my corrections/comments will be in bold. Then I'll give you my overall impression of everything.

I woke up on the morning of January 27 feeling unusually cheerful. I felt so light, and confident, too. I'm the younger youngest sister in my family, and usually I'm invisible.

Firstly, I don't think there's any need for the comma after 'confident'. Also, I don't think the invisible thing is quite correct. I mean, being the youngest certainly doesn't mean being shunned out, if anything in most cases it means you get more attention drawn to you. I don't think you should assume that all the youngest of siblings get ignored, because that's not quite true.

Great line! However, I'm not too sure about the repeat of the word 'today'. Maybe it would look better as:
But not today. Anything could happen
Just a suggestion ;)

But how does she know this? Why does she feel this? I like your wings metaphor, but the whole idea isn't really making sense.

Yet on that very same morning, something small and forgotten knew that dreams were about to die, too. They were going to shrivel up, become forgotten memories. Dust in a rotting attic. Those dreams were going to have their wings clipped and be thrown away forever.

I'm a bit confused, what is this 'something'? Is it a paranormal spiritual being, or just her thoughts? Again, nice metaphor!

A very intriguing last line :)

Overall, this was quite an intriguing prologue- and that's exactly what a prologue should be! I think you have some really interesting imagery with the birds/wings metaphor which is excellent.

My main issue with this I guess is the length of it. I mean, it's so short and there's so much that could be added to it. Okay so I hate to say this, but the whole 'this could go really well or horribly wrong' thing I have seen many times before. (I like to call it the Simon Cowell theory). I think it's great that you've got this but I'd like to see more, and that you're putting your own twist on it. For example, I'd like to know more about that MC's feelings. What exactly is she feeling about the day to come? Does she always feel like this? Is her day always good or always bad? These kinds of questions, and others that you can think of would really help bring this piece together.

Also, I'm not sure if you were trying to make it like a diary entry- if you are that's fine, but if you aren't I think it's a bit too informal. That's probably not the right word to use here, but basically I just feel it's a bit too much like a conversation. Remember, even though it's in the first person of your MC, don't make it too much like how she would write. Take the time to describe things a bit better, remember we as readers don't always know what's going on!

I hope this review helped, PM me with questions or if you'd like another review.

-Arc x

Wonder says...

Thanks ArticMonkey! :) i'll edit this ASAP -- your review really helped!!

~Wonder

Wonder says...

And it'll make more sense as you read the next chapters....it would look a lot better as a whole book.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:19 pm
ANADIR wrote a review...

Its great to see more thirteen old writers out there! (like me) You writing style is actually better than I would expect for people our age, but lots of people say that to me as well. I have to say though, this is exceptional. Don't you dare stop this book :P. It has a great start, and you now have me hanging from a noose, waiting for you to continue it on. But, I did manage to find one thing to poke at. When you said "wings dipped" Did you want to use a different word there? or was it that you accidently lost a word after it, like "wings dipped into tar" Or the like. Or, maybe I'm just being a critic, and it's perfect. Either way, I Will be watching your progress on this... :D

Oh yes, one last thing... When you say January 27, maby you want to say January the 27th? Just a idea. Either way, good luck! :D:D

Wonder says...

Thanks so much for the review!!

Oooh, I meant 'clipped' instead of dipped. That was a typo. x3 Thanks for pointing that out. :3

I'll definitely continue the story, now. ;)

And high five!! Us thirteen year olds are awesome. x3

~Wonder

Who knew paper and ink could be so vicious.
— Kathryn Stockett, The Help